stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:30 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, no sweat guys/gals. I was just surprised so much anti BMW sentiment. The folks I know who ride them don't take any of the propaganda seriously, but they mostly do like the bikes.

I still would like to know if anyone has a better idea for a 2 up, long distance, mostly on some off road, heated clothing, tough as nails bike that you'd do 500+ miles in a day on. Seems to me the realistic choices are quite limited. I think the GSA is a clunky looking sucker, but for that duty I like that fact that it's sort of like a tank.

Suzuki DL1000 (V Strom), one of the later model without the noisy clutch.

Literally half the price of the BMW, quicker, smoother, just as frugal, huge comfy riding position, and once setup correctly, will hustle with the best of 'em. Can carry vast amount of luggage should you need to. And just as ugly as the BMW.

and you get to pocket the change from not buying the BMW.
RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#42 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:56 am

Suzuki GS1000G

This one has done 590 000km (yes, that's the correct number of zeroes, I counted).

As you can see, it works in snow and gravel, and it can carry lots of luggage.

The owner of the bike rode from Lindesnes to North Cape (Norway south to North, 2547km one way) trip in JANUARY. And then he rode back again.

Edited by Galilee, 05 August 2009 - 07:09 am.

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#43 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:52 am

If you're looking for an adventure type bike in the US, how about the Ulysses?

Edited by ChrisG, 05 August 2009 - 08:53 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#44 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:24 am

Please please Mr Yamaha can we have a new Super Tenere with a a softly tuned 1000cc TDM engine tongue.gif
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#45 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:17 am

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but they're easy to park.

Is there a co-operative deal going between BMW and VW, or do you have to order the tank-stand separately?

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#46 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:45 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Parts that are specific to the TDMs are 3 days away by special order, best case scenario, if you're near a city. They stock virtually zero of them - all shipped as needed. I have no clue if they are still making any of the specialized parts for them, or we're slowly draining the stockpile they started with years ago. For sure some parts are no long available, from anywhere, best I can tell. Fortunately, most are.

That said, my bigger issue is the rear seat space (w/ the bike fully packed) and lack of electrical (to run heated clothing). Last year in July we road through 35 degF conditions w/o heated vests and it was borderline. My GF damn near froze off the bike. I had to pull over and thaw her out and buy her a pair of ski gloves. Bottom line, some of the places we ride and want to ride get damn cold even in the peak of summer, and we also like to ride all around the west coast during the winter which is typically in the 50s or cooler. I'd love to get a bike with a huge electrical output capacity (GSA = 720 W which is pretty hard core).

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. I simply can't think of what other bikes meet those specs. The off road part is really what makes it tough, as there are plenty of awesome full touring bikes around, if the goal is 2 up comfort.

If it's any consolation, I already have a BMW and still ride my TDM all the time. I love the bike, and will keep it until one of us is toast.

Pity you can't get 9'ers in USA. You have about 420watts total & only use about 245 watts. That leaves 175 watts to play with. Should be enough for heated clothing for 2 plus a few accessories. You can get a range of electrical kits from Eastern Beaver. I ride pretty much year round & had to get wife heated gloves,etc. No prob's running them off the TDM900 with a PC-8 fitted. drinks.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#47 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:59 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Sat 8th Aug 2009, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pity you can't get 9'ers in USA. You have about 420watts total & only use about 245 watts. That leaves 175 watts to play with. Should be enough for heated clothing for 2 plus a few accessories. You can get a range of electrical kits from Eastern Beaver. I ride pretty much year round & had to get wife heated gloves,etc. No prob's running them off the TDM900 with a PC-8 fitted. drinks.gif

Yeah, totally agree. No clue why Yamaha doesn't offer any sort of big dual purpose bike in the USA. It's a shame - people would buy them.

Meanwhile, I've decided not to get the 2007 BMW R1200GSA, even though it is a pristine bike, and a superb piece of machinery in most ways. I'm holding off until next summer, at which point the leading candidates will probably be the new GSA (rumors of a major upgrade next year). I need something that isn't too exotic to service in N America.

#48 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:38 pm

"Meanwhile, I've decided not to get the 2007 BMW R1200GSA"

Horraaaay !!! good.gif

"I'm holding off until next summer"

What..... NOOooooo !!! punishment.gif

Edited by Geordie Guy, 12 August 2009 - 11:39 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#49 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:41 am

Geordie - come out of the closet - you know you want one. pimp.gif

Speculative drawing of 2010 R1250GS. Rumor is they'll mimic the HP2 motor and get 130+ hp.

Attached File  R1250GS_Oberdan_abajo.jpg   116.16KB   44 downloads

#50 cornerman

cornerman

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:02 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...... So, if you wanted to go 10k miles, though 1k miles of dirt roads, 2 up, with camping gear, expecting some damn cold weather, what would one ride? That is exactly the choice I'm facing, and image aside, I can't think of a better bike than the GS. If there is one, I'd like to know about it.
For me, the GS! But; and I say this as an ex R1100GS owner; they are a tractor. I thought this way when I owned it too. I loved our time together and only sold her to pay off debts but found that I would not places in the bush that I really wanted to go because I was afraid that that I would take a spill or two and find myself being unable to lift the bike. I have no worries about the reliability of the GS compared to any other popular contemporary bike but personally I am looking for something lighter.
I listened with big ears to your view about the TDMs pillion seat space though, thanks

Edited by cornerman, 13 August 2009 - 06:04 am.

#51 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:45 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Thu 13th Aug 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Geordie - come out of the closet - you know you want one. pimp.gif

LD good.gif ....... Listen, this is the "Closet ".

I think the BMW Club is very exclusive, ( bearing in mind my Bezzy Mate rides one ), a bike is a bike.

As riders we should choose the best bike we can afford to enjoy.

What I dont get are the sheep in the world, the minority who have to follow an image, not just follow it, but idealise it.

There is such snobbery and condisention for other riders in their own ranks, who dont confirm to the ideal image, it beggers belief.

Not having the £500 BMW jacket, a set of touratec boxes £1,000 is looked down upon or up at with envious eyes.

It is that closet, a closed mindset that I cannot tolerate.

As bikers we should defend the chance / right to be a freespirit when we have the opportunity.

In this world of limitations, rules and survailence, to me joinning a narrow minded exclusive closet is
Fookin madnes !

Why we need Corporations and advertising departments to tell us what the "ideal way to freedom is " is bollocks.

The only way to Biker freedom is their bike and products, no other products shall pass through gates of freedom.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than a GS1200 rider using a Givi style box and being accepted in the BMW fold. punishment.gif

And some extremist's believe it !

Come out the closet ...... I say lock the fookin door with them all in it.

Thanks for the opprtunity for getting that off my chest, No offence intended.

drinks.gif Cheers, Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 13 August 2009 - 07:48 am.

#52 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:31 am

Nice rant! I knew you had it in you.

I can only speak for myself. I don't take any motorcycle company ad campaign seriously. It's all pretty much rubbish as far as I'm concerned. I think I spoke with my bank account when I bought a 1992 TDM in USA where they weren't heard of, never advertised (I never saw one), and even the dealer wasn't sure about the bike. It was (is) a damn cool bike, so I got one. Still ride it, in lieu of my K1200S often (and that is saying something, as that K is one badass street bike).

But, just as I don't give a crap what BMW or Yamaha say in their ad campaigns, and much less what some poser w/ a shiny new BMW GS says, I (like you) will draw my own conclusions about what bike to ride next. I usually ride alone, or w/ my GF, and I don't ride or own motorcycles to impress anyone, unless you count myself. I ride, like probably all of us, because it's just crazy fun and about the best way possible to see the world. If I wanted to be a poser, I'd buy a HD not a beemer. Those guys are off the chart bought off on some image if you ask me. They ride these huge, clunky piece of crap bikes and swear they wouldn't even consider riding anything else. And, in case you're wondering, I have ridden HDs to test out. I tried a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (their top of the line tourer). Now that's a tractor. It did have incredibly comfy seats, and my GF was about to buy it on the spot until I talked her out of it.

Bottom line, I hope you (Geordie) realize I don't take any of this seriously, just poking fun. I will probably buy a GSA next year, but not because it gets me into the club. But because, I actually do want a tractor that also does pretty well on 5k+ mile tours 2up. I will not trade in my TDM when I do. The TDM goes to the grave w/ me, unless I total it first.

cheers!
Robert

#53 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:54 pm

LD,

sorry I forgot your over the pond.

Everything I said above must only apply to this side.

Beemers are all over the place here, you go out for a short spin to a meeting place and their all out with all the stuff on like their going half way round the feckin world.

Forget what I said buy a GS in the USA, you will be as much as a rebel than the best of them .... good.gif

I did Route66 on a Road king in 2005, hired it through Eagle Rider. Brilliant bike.

Stayed at Victorville second last night and then next to the Marriot next to the LA airport last night, was'nt till I took off I realized I was so close to the Pacific, 3 miles and did'nt go !!!!

Well there is always next time, fancy that route 101 looks fantastic.

All the best. Ivan

#54 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:36 pm

Route 1 up the coast just N of LA, all the way, past Fort Bragg where it cuts inland to meet up with 101 = freakin spectacular riding. There are slow spots, but mostly amazing scenery w/ twisty roads hanging off cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The stretch just N of Fort Bragg where it cuts inland is famous here for being unbelievably fun ride. Incredible banked sweepers, running through redwoods, no cops, perfect road conditions. It's nearly perfect for sport riding. Once you get to 101, heading N, just past Garberville is "Avenues of the Giants", which is a 26 mile stretch through giant redwoods - amazing.

If you get back, look me up man! I'm always up for showing off California to my friends on bikes. Even if they're on poser Harleys! BTW, I don't have the balls to say that in a biker bar - I'm sure they'd mop the floor w/ me for insulting their babies.

cheers,
Robert

#55 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:06 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Thu 13th Aug 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Route 1 up the coast just N of LA, all the way, past Fort Bragg<snip> overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

You can see the Pacific ocean from North Carolina??

Or is there more than one Ft. Bragg? laugh.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#56 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:42 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 14th Aug 2009, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can see the Pacific ocean from North Carolina??
Or is there more than one Ft. Bragg? laugh.gif

Yep, at least 2.

Attached File  Fort_Bragg_CA.pdf   103.74KB   12 downloads

The section N of Rockport where it cuts E to Leggett = uber sweet riding. That section is IMHO one of the nicest stretches of motorcycling blacktop on the planet.

#57 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:44 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Thu 13th Aug 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I dont get are the sheep in the world, the minority who have to follow an image, not just follow it, but idealise it.

In this world of limitations, rules and survailence, to me joinning a narrow minded exclusive closet is
Fookin madnes !

Thanks for the opprtunity for getting that off my chest, No offence intended.

drinks.gif Cheers, Ivan

Good to read that there are other's on this planet who are aware of the sheep problem & also the Big Brother problem. good.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#58 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:23 pm

I recently had my VFRFL written off so looked around for a suitable bike. Whilst in France on my SV650s I saw a BMW 1200ST and really liked it and found a couple on my return. One looked like a really good deal and I was on the point of buying it when I took a look at the BMW forum. I couldn't believe the tails of woe on there, so many warranty claims, flaking paint, rotting aluminium, it goes on. Well I decided I couln't afford to have some really expensive part go bang on me so I backed out of the purchase. I bought the TDM in preference to a 2000 VFR800 due to the riding position and cost of servicing. I hope I made the right choice as I really liked that VFR. Brain over heart this time. Time will tell.
1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

#59 iz4dja

iz4dja

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:28 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good summary.

Actually, I think the KTM 990 adv is the overall best choice in terms of reliability, parts, and so forth, but they kind of suck on the road vs a GS. I guess my ratio is realistically 90/10 road/dirt.

Thanks to you all for the new bike ideas.

KTM & reliability ? They don't match each other ohmy.gif

I would love to own this bike wub.gif but when I red KTM forums I regress myself and I bite my tongue dry.gif

For example : Wich bike has to check valves clereance out just after the first thousand kilometers ?
Answer : KTM.

Even though I'm mecanich it is not understandable to build some engines so difficult to manage.
TDR900 ABS Grey metallic audi"iron jenny"

#60 catt1

catt1

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:37 pm

After all of the fuss, I have been out twice on test rides. We have a lot of back dirt roads to discover on SA and I worried it might be too much for the TDM. Sorry, but I found the GS big, fat and klonky. We have loads on the road here too but the 800 GS is starting to take over. It's more practical.

Who ever did the BMW advertising needs a medal for selling so many GS's considering it's not that nice a ride.

I get back on the TDM and after 500m wonder why I bothered.

I'm looking forward to a test on the 1200 tenere tho'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users