TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:41 pm

QUOTE(iz4dja @ Wed 9th Sep 2009, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KTM & reliability ? They don't match each other ohmy.gif

I would love to own this bike wub.gif but when I red KTM forums I regress myself and I bite my tongue dry.gif

For example : Wich bike has to check valves clereance out just after the first thousand kilometers ?
Answer : KTM.

Even though I'm mecanich it is not understandable to build some engines so difficult to manage.

I keep reading on the ADVrider forums about how "easy" it is to make the KTM reliable - you just have to replace this, and that, and modify that, and carry a spare seal kit for this, and adjust such and such every 2000k.... huh.gif I met a couple of KTM 950/990 riders on the road one day, and asked how they got on with their KTM's - they responded "same issues as all KTM's but otherwise great bikes"

you are paying top dollar new, so I would expect them to be rock solid out of the box. The fact that you need to spend time and money to make them reliable bothers me. For my riding I'd possibly be better served by a KTM990 or BMW 800GS, but I don't want to throw in the extra cash to trade "up" to one of them only to find I need to keep pouring money into it to keep it going - so I'm sticking with the 900 for a while longer... smile.gif

But I wish Yamaha would make a 95hp, sub 220kg Super Tenere....

QUOTE(dicky1 @ Wed 5th Aug 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please please Mr Yamaha can we have a new Super Tenere with a a softly tuned 1000cc TDM engine tongue.gif

like that...

#62 whisky

whisky

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:43 pm

Hi Stormy, In answer to to your question, I have to agree with "dickie" and "tdmtoranago", I have just posted "european adventure". I was riding a Yamaha TDM900, wow what a machine, and only a fraction o0f the price of a Beemer, its also quicker and nimbler and far more economical. Whilst I agree that a 1000cc version (twin) would be nice, if you look at the new tennere, except for the engine its pretty much another ,much ugraded TDM. If I had the money I would have the yam, try one.

Hope this helps
Whisky

#63 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:29 pm

QUOTE(whisky @ Fri 9th Jul 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Stormy, In answer to to your question, I have to agree with "dickie" and "tdmtoranago", I have just posted "european adventure". I was riding a Yamaha TDM900, wow what a machine, and only a fraction o0f the price of a Beemer, its also quicker and nimbler and far more economical. Whilst I agree that a 1000cc version (twin) would be nice, if you look at the new tennere, except for the engine its pretty much another ,much ugraded TDM. If I had the money I would have the yam, try one.

Hope this helps
Whisky

i'm afraid stormy is no longer with us. http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=14583

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#64 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:33 pm

Always with us......................Just not around any more sorry.gif

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#65 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:31 pm

I've now had 4 GS's (in order, R100GS, R1100GS, R80G/S (very modded), F800GS) so I guess I qualify to have a point of view, I'm also a member of a BMW Club (long term). Do I think GSs are great bikes? I'll never buy another late Boxer again, everyone of them I've had has had clutch/gearbox problems as well as leaky final drives. BMW wont get me as a guinea pig anymore. My R100GS would have been a keeper if anyone had known the fixes at the time, but gearbox failure, rear shock failure and driveshaft failure in a space of 4 months on a 15 month old bike drove me to buy a TDM and I never looked back. The 1200 is too big and porky for my needs anyway even if they made it as reliable as a TDM. I got the F800GS as BMW no longer make the running gear, hopefully the risk of mechanical failure should be less. Its a nice package. Still keeping the 900 as well though. Also on my 6th K100 BMW, just can't kill them.

The best boxer I had was the R80G/S, but with a twinplugged R100RS unleaded motor, 32 litre tank, Husqvarna USD forks, White Power rear suspension, lengthened swingarm and carefully braced frame it was a pretty special piece of gear. Should never have let it escape my clutches.

No I don't make the R-GS people in my club happy either.

Al

QUOTE(LDRider @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That a 900 towing that GS?

Well, I think the new GS bikes are a mixed bag for sure. My most hardened adv rider buds here prefer to buy the old airheads (R100GS), do all the standard 'patches', strengthen the frame a bit, and run those. They say they like em better because:
1. They're lower to the ground (easier to manage off road).
2. Basically bullet proof once you do all the known required fixes.
3. You can work on the bike with a minimal set of tools on the road, if needed.

That said, the newer bikes are no doubt smoother, faster, more comfy touring. I dunno; guess I'd like to own about 10 bikes if I could afford em and had a big enough garage.

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#66 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:11 pm

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Sun 11th Jul 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best boxer I had was the R80G/S,

Strangely enough I have a liking for those to.
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#67 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:02 pm

I love riding my R80 GS good.gif

18 years old & still going like a train. Quality of finish is excellent as well
Only 53 horses, but it's plenty fast enough for the back lanes & gets you planning your overtakes a lot more !
Even taking a few 'off road' shortcuts these days badgrock.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#68 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:29 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Thu 13th Aug 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice rant! I knew you had it in you.

I can only speak for myself. I don't take any motorcycle company ad campaign seriously. It's all pretty much rubbish as far as I'm concerned. I think I spoke with my bank account when I bought a 1992 TDM in USA where they weren't heard of, never advertised (I never saw one), and even the dealer wasn't sure about the bike. It was (is) a damn cool bike, so I got one. Still ride it, in lieu of my K1200S often (and that is saying something, as that K is one badass street bike).

But, just as I don't give a crap what BMW or Yamaha say in their ad campaigns, and much less what some poser w/ a shiny new BMW GS says, I (like you) will draw my own conclusions about what bike to ride next. I usually ride alone, or w/ my GF, and I don't ride or own motorcycles to impress anyone, unless you count myself. I ride, like probably all of us, because it's just crazy fun and about the best way possible to see the world. If I wanted to be a poser, I'd buy a HD not a beemer. Those guys are off the chart bought off on some image if you ask me. They ride these huge, clunky piece of crap bikes and swear they wouldn't even consider riding anything else. And, in case you're wondering, I have ridden HDs to test out. I tried a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (their top of the line tourer). Now that's a tractor. It did have incredibly comfy seats, and my GF was about to buy it on the spot until I talked her out of it.

Bottom line, I hope you (Geordie) realize I don't take any of this seriously, just poking fun. I will probably buy a GSA next year, but not because it gets me into the club. But because, I actually do want a tractor that also does pretty well on 5k+ mile tours 2up. I will not trade in my TDM when I do. The TDM goes to the grave w/ me, unless I total it first.

cheers!
Robert

At last, a Yank who truly has the good sense to see HD's for what they are. ( Yes I've ridden one too & once was enough )
There's alot of Aussie's who buy into that HD poser BS as well. Summed it up perfectly, ignore the hype & go for what fits your needs.
I take me hat off to ya mate. good.gif drinks.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users