Photo
- - - - -

I Have No Words After Watching ................

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:42 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sat 18th Dec 2010, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As the fatalities dropped by about half since the TAC ads started running I can't see where it's a 'load'...
If all those ads saved one single life they would be worth it.

I just wish US TV was flooded with similar ads before every holiday.

That's emotionally appealing, but might not be the best use of resources. There may be more effective ways to save lives than ads - just sayin.

Edited by LDRider, 18 December 2010 - 06:34 pm.

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#22 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:43 pm

Yeah, I suppose speed cameras save lives too?

Do you really think a video like that will stop somebody from drink driving?

As for the statistics.... it's a well know fact 98% of statistics are made up (result of a poll of 78 housewives)

all IMHO of course!

#23 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:33 pm

The only people who these adds work on are the people who give a damn about other peoples safety and as such don't require the information in the ads.
The people who it is targeted at don't care and thus the ads are ineffective in the long run.
I think the only way to combat poor driving is a pre emptive strike in the form of better education and a much more stringent/ harder driving test.

IIRC in NZ you are restricted to daylight driving and non motorway driving for a period of time after your test (or pending a further test, not sure).

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#24 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:32 pm

wifgeni.gif

Couldn't agree more.

We all know you'll never live with yourself if you run down a wee kid but the chavs with Corsas, BMW rep drivers etal don't give a fook.

#25 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:57 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Sat 18th Dec 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's emotionally appealing, but might not be the best use of resources. There may be more effective ways to save lives than ads - just sayin.

One of the TAC videos said something like '700+ deaths in the first year, down to 300+'
The US averages about 37,000 motor fatalities a year, think if that could be lowered to 20,000.

Seems like a pretty good use of resources.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#26 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:08 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the TAC videos said something like '700+ deaths in the first year, down to 300+'
The US averages about 37,000 motor fatalities a year, think if that could be lowered to 20,000.

Seems like a pretty good use of resources.

One thing the various campaigns against drink driving here have done over the years is that pretty well nobody thinks that drink driving is OK these days, the huge majority now see drink driving as a very stupid thing to do. The drink/drive stats are way down on what they used to be. I remember when they first introduced RBT (Random Breath testing) being pulled over and breath tested around 12 times in the first year, now it's lucky if I get tested once a year.

BTW Those TAC stats apply to one state only (Victoria), not the whole of Australia

Al

Edited by AL-58, 19 December 2010 - 08:17 am.

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#27 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:15 am

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wifgeni.gif

Couldn't agree more.

We all know you'll never live with yourself if you run down a wee kid but the chavs with Corsas, BMW rep drivers etal don't give a fook.

I had the unfortunate experience of running over a 10YO kid one night. Thankfully all he got was a broken leg.

It wasn't a pleasant experience but I've never felt any guilt as there was nothing I could have done to avoid hitting him other than not be on the road at the time. It was dark (he should have been in bed), he was caught stealing stuff from a truck, he ran away from the truck driver directly across the dark road in front of my car. There was no chance of me avoiding him.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#28 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:21 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sat 18th Dec 2010, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only people who these adds work on are the people who give a damn about other peoples safety and as such don't require the information in the ads.
The people who it is targeted at don't care and thus the ads are ineffective in the long run.
I think the only way to combat poor driving is a pre emptive strike in the form of better education and a much more stringent/ harder driving test.

IIRC in NZ you are restricted to daylight driving and non motorway driving for a period of time after your test (or pending a further test, not sure).

Most people who drive DO care. The majority of road fatalities are presumably caused by people who DO give a damn, but have a momentary lapse in attention. Reminding them periodically of the consequences of their lack of concentration may make a difference. Irish road fatalities have halved in the last 10 years, using some of the TAC / VicRoads material.
Better education and stringent testing only goes so far - a culture and attitude change is what makes the difference long-term.

Stu

#29 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:43 pm

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW Those TAC stats apply to one state only (Victoria), not the whole of Australia

Al

I realized that... All of Aus would need some pretty good driver's to only have <800 fatalities a year.

BTW, I did the actual math and US road fatalities average (75-09) 41.3K a year.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#30 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:31 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most people who drive DO care. The majority of road fatalities are presumably caused by people who DO give a damn, but have a momentary lapse in attention. Reminding them periodically of the consequences of their lack of concentration may make a difference. Irish road fatalities have halved in the last 10 years, using some of the TAC / VicRoads material.
Better education and stringent testing only goes so far - a culture and attitude change is what makes the difference long-term.

I completely agree, but you will never change the behaviour of a wild raccoon, however, ones reared with humans from birth make excellent pets.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users