Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:30 pm

QUOTE(Andy R @ Thu 12th Oct 2006, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Guys,

First the legal bit;

All parts on a vehicle must meet EU Standards and be stamped as complying. Fitting a non-EU-Standard part is an offence under the Construction and Use Regulations.

Enforcement;

In reality there are very few Police Officers with the training and knowledge to spot a non-legal exhaust.

There are a few Officers who are Vehicle Examiners or Vehicle Prohibition Officers (Of which I am one) who are trained by VOSA to examine vehicles and prohibit unroadworthy vehicles from being driven until they have been put through a new MOT Test.

However there are limits to what we can see at the side of the road. For instance , if someone has drilled the internal baffles and done a neat job of putting the end back on, how can I spot that in all cases?

The offence of having a non-EU-compliant exhaust can be dealt with by means of a non-endorseable (ie no points on your licence) £30 fine.

My Advice;

1. Don't ride around with cans that say 'Not for road use'.

2. Don't buy plates with EU Numbers on and fit them to illegal exhausts (This leaves you liable to prosecution for Obstruction or even an Attempt To Pervert The Course of Justice) the penalties are much more than £30!

3. If you get a £30 Fixed Penalty just pay the fine, as it will be much cheaper than going to Court.

4. Don't take the Michael with any mods that you do and the noise you make in built up areas, bringing attention to yourself and your can.

Thanks Andy, and others, for being so very clear altogether. Worth adding to a reference archive somewhere? Any Carpe administrators about?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#22 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:39 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 12th Oct 2006, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Andy, and others, for being so very clear altogether. Worth adding to a reference archive somewhere? Any Carpe administrators about?

added to knowledge base
http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=2100

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#23 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:19 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Thu 12th Oct 2006, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Toneski. For better guidance to anyone searching, can the title of the subforum be changed to, say, "Engine, exhaust and fluids"?
BTW Andy, are you happy to be taken as this definitive?

Edited by Pict, 12 October 2006 - 04:20 pm.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#24 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:20 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 12th Oct 2006, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Toneski. For better guidance to anyone searching, can the title of the subforum be changed to, say, "Engine, exhaust and fluids"?

i canne do that, i just dont have the power cap'n.
have asked the ptb tongue.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#25 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:44 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Mon 9th Oct 2006, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had loud Carbon Cans on for a few years and didn't have any problems. They did lots of touring. If you take it steady where you should be taking it steady there will prolly be no prob. Never had any probs...so can't help with what punichment there would be if caught.

Another point to think about is MOT time.....if you have orig system to bung on for MOT's then no prob. But if not, you are at the mercy of the MOT man.

I now have Dappers old cans, but I got db killers off CCC and they sound very nice without being offensive. They had nfru printed on them, but like Storm, mine accidentally got worn away when polishing. I've never been pulled for them.

#26 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:00 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Thu 12th Oct 2006, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i canne do that, i just dont have the power cap'n.
have asked the ptb tongue.gif

Sorry - I guess it was a warped request blink.gif

Edited by Pict, 12 October 2006 - 08:03 pm.

#27 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:13 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 9th Oct 2006, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pict cud ya fit "DB killers" to them zorsts to quieten things down ?

Does anybody know of a place called "Speedy Parts" that apparently supplies DB killers for Akropovic? Tried a few others that don't. One said the outlet (even on titaniums) is "too thin" to allow them - does this make sense? Outlet diameter is 48mm, which may be "standard"? Sorry to persist on this, but they do sound good, so I'd like to go for some of the benefit with just a tweak on the volume..

#28 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:49 pm

My mate bought a akrapovich end can off ebay for his R1.it just sounds right ,not offensive ,silly stupid sound, just right.They are sooooo well made aswell.Gazman runs a pair on his 900 & it was no noisier than any other bike on the g2g.

#29 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:50 pm

QUOTE(ROB1 @ Mon 20th Nov 2006, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mate bought a akrapovich end can off ebay for his R1.it just sounds right ,not offensive ,silly stupid sound, just right.They are sooooo well made aswell.Gazman runs a pair on his 900 & it was no noisier than any other bike on the g2g.

Thanks Rob. I agree on the build and sound (a hint of which is at Yamaha TDM 900 Opatija - Brsec). Any experiences from Gazman?

Edited by Pict, 20 November 2006 - 10:18 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users