31 replies to this topic

#1 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:17 pm

Against EU Member States Introducing Mandatory High Visibility Clothing For Motorcyclists

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We the undersigned urge the British Government to put pressure on the European Commission to discipline any member state that imposes clothing standards on motorcycle riders. We view any such requirement as an expression of prejudice against motorcyclists and a barrier to the free movement of people within the EU. With regard to the current proposals on mandatory high visibility clothing being considered by some member states, we consider this to be ill advised and naïve. We challenge the speculation that high visibility clothing will reduce accidents involving motorcyclists. We question the right of motorists to hold driving licenses if they are incapable of seeing a rider and motorcycle unless clad in high visibility clothing. We challenge the logic that imposes unreasonable requirements on the victims of accidents in order to accommodate the failings of those who cause them

https://submissions....petitions/26931

#2 MikC

MikC

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:23 pm

Done

Mik
''Work'' The horrible four letter word

#3 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:43 am

Done.

My mate was wearing a hi vis vest when we were out the other day on the bikes. He was leading, a car pulled out right in front of him, why? He did bloody look, so hi vis or not he didn't see my mate. Accident was thankfully avoided.

#4 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:56 am

So this stupid frigging law has already been passed in Ireland and France, WTF???

#5 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:52 pm

MAG Ireland recently did a survey of bikers opinions on proposed Hi-viz legislation.
I think the most telling quote is from one rider who is also a bus driver.

"Being a bus driver i can safely say a hi-vis vest won’t stop or even help with people that don’t look and pull out in-front of a bike, I mean the bus is 2 story’s high and bright yellow and you still get people pulling out in front of that and claiming they didn’t see it…"

What more can one say?

#6 Chris

Chris

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:05 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Tue 10th Jan 2012, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this stupid frigging law has already been passed in Ireland and France, WTF???

If it has, no one here knows about it...

Stu, you might have some info?

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:03 pm

It's not mandatory in Ireland until 2014, and in France it's in 2013, but only for riders with bikes over 125cc blink.gif

Some info from the MAG Ireland site....... http://www.magirelan...ctive-material/

MAG Ireland has learned that the French government recently announced mandatory retro reflective clothing for French riders of all motorcycles and trikes in excess of 125cc from January 1st 2013.

This is a worrying development as the French authorities have decided on a course of action for which there is no evidence of effectiveness, and in the face of some of the largest demonstrations ever seen in Europe by French riders in June and September of 2011.

We understand the regulations stipulate 150 square centimetres of retro reflective material (for context, this is roughly the equivalent of a strip 1 foot long by 2 inches high), although it’s unclear as to what form this will have to take. Most sources appear to suggest that an armband will suffice, although there is no official confirmation of this one way or another. Pillion passengers will also have to comply. The measure is one of a number of proposals aimed at improving road safety which include increased fines and points for a number of road traffic offences such as using a mobile phone while driving as well as a ban on speed trap location warnings of the sort commonly provided by satnav units and smart phones.

Sooooooo, somehow the powers that be seem to think that wearing a High vis armband will increase your safety on the road rotflmmfao.gif FFS ! SMIDSY.. your arms are skinny !

This is what the Euro MP's spend our hard earned taxes on.......how sad is that !

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 10 January 2012 - 03:06 pm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:49 pm

In Catalonia ( Barcelona-Spain) is mandatory for the whores that work the roads to wear a high visibility vest rotflmmfao.gif

I read that they were happy with the law, they say business are up with the extra visibility! clapping.gif
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#9 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:58 pm

rotflmmfao.gif

Wonder if they have to use these as well ?? laugh.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:21 pm

[quote name='Studley Ramrod' date='Tue 10th Jan 2012, 03:03 PM' post='230344']
It's not mandatory in Ireland until 2014, and in France it's in 2013, but only for riders with bikes over 125cc blink.gif

Soooo if you're on a moped or scooter you have a much better chance of being seen? Or are 125 and under riders expendable? ohmy.gif

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:49 pm

There are so many peeps wearing fluoro things nowadays it is more loikely to make ya blend in than stand ooot.

Almost a stamp that shows the Health and Safety brigade have got ya. smile.gif

Would love to see some PROPER studies conducted on this. Does it make you feel safer, less cautious, more loikely to have a prang? Does it increase yer chances of being seen significantly? So many questions....have no clue what the answers are though.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 Johnlaas

Johnlaas

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 113 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:51 pm

I would have thought France problem was amongest those in the group excluded by this legislation - not that I agree with it. My view is that it does not matter what you are wearing or riding with lights on etc because if the cage driver is not going too see you it will not make one bit of difference.

I would have thought regular, mandatory, sight tests would be more useful.

John

2012 plated model, Black - with black seat
Mods - Yamaha High Screen, Scott Oiler, Fenda Extender, Givi Top box and panniers, Yamaha Heated Grips, Barkbuster Hand Guards
The Wish List - a decent horn, crash bungs 

06 Model in Blue with Silver trim [GONE - But not forgotten
Mods - Yamaha High Screen, Scott Oiler, Fenda Extender, Givi Top Box and Panniers, LED running light. Acerbis Dual Road Hand Guards, HID, Yamaha heated grips
Wish List - Crash Bungs,

#13 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:09 pm

I've got a DT125R which I used for commuting to work (7 miles of back roads). I had loads of cars (and a bus!) pull out in front of me. It was such a problem that I bought a full hi vis jacket to wear over my bike kit. Guess what,made no frigging difference at all. Cars still pulled out in front of me, perhaps it was because I was on a 125?

Some cars pull out because they don't look,
some pull out because they don't care, ' it's only a bike', ' they're going slow', 'I've got time / room' etc. etc.
Some do make a genuine mistake.

Last week a mate and I were out for a ride on the bikes, him up front with his hi vis vest on. Mr BMW car driver doesn't look and pulls out on him. No accident but could have been.

Hi Vis just doesn't work. If you cant see a 55 watt headlight what frigging difference will a bloody reflective jacket make?

ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif ARGH rant over.....

#14 NZTDMGUY

NZTDMGUY

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:29 pm

Here in New Zealand our idiotic Bikers Association has recommended to the Government that we also adopt the Hi Vis practice.

It has started a discussion based on SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) versus SMIDC (sorry mate, I don't care).

http://www.kiwibiker...SY-versus-SMIDC

I think the latter is more correct. No offense intended to any bus or truck drivers on this forum but I think most motorists operate on the theory that size does matter, the bigger you are the more of your rights you can impose on others. Think how often a truck or bus pulls out in front of your car, safe in the knowledge that you will avoid it.

Cheers from NZ

Edited by NZTDMGUY, 10 January 2012 - 09:39 pm.

2008 TDM900 in lovely red
Scorpion cans
Power Commander (under review)

#15 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:49 pm

i dont think a normal reflective jacket makes a difference

i have however noticed a difference while wearing this one....

its waterproof & breathable, has a hood that goes inside my lid to create a complete seal and the blue bits cause a lot of double-takes from other motorists
cant imagine what they mistake me for laugh.gif

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 10th Jan 2012, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are so many peeps wearing fluoro things nowadays it is more loikely to make ya blend in than stand ooot.
that be the problem
i'm quite happy being the odd one out, more chance of being noticed

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#16 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:43 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 11th Jan 2012, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evening all!

TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#17 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 pm

I don't believe that bikers should be forced to wear hi-viz. The reason I say this is biking by its nature, at least for me, can be summed up with one word and that's 'freedom'. Government bodies trying to legislate against the wish of most bikers is not a positive thing as it opposes the very nature of the activity and the folks who participate. There will be a lot of energy invested in opposing this I believe. Bikers in the main hurt themselves and not others, while hoodies go around in 200bhp Honda Civics on provisional licenses causing carnage, there is something wrong with all this.
Having said that I cannot imagine that hi-viz does NOT reduce accidents. I know lots of people say that they still get cars pulling out but in reality they cannot quantify how many cars would have pulled out if they did not have the hi-viz? This is a difficult to analyze I know. It is not that drivers don't 'see' the bus/car/bike, it's that their driving habits and practices are not allowing them to physically see the object, so true hi-viz may not make a big difference in some cases. However even where the driving practice is correct it is possible to miss a bike, I have done it and I bet several more on this forum have done likewise. Another factor is drivers in the main do not 'expect' to see a bike, they look for a car. Having hi-viz and driving lights along with bright helmets increases your chance of being seen in those marginal situations and might mean that you get to have dinner with your kids 20mins later none the wiser. Educating drivers is the key to ensuring they DO expect to see a bike, which is what progressive road authorities are focusing on.
Sorry to drag this down to a serious note tongue.gif but biking for me is about the freedom and enjoyment, but keeping all my bits in the right place and doing whatever I can to increase the odds of that is paramount.

Cheers! drinks.gif
APW

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#18 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:55 pm

can you see me now?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#19 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:48 am

[quote name='TonyDevil' date='Wed 11th Jan 2012, 10:55 PM' post='230561']
can you see me now?

Are you the one on the sofa?

Seriously though as a permanent wearer of a flouro jacket I like that suit. Details please.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#20 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:24 am

standard workmen style over trousers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150687784284

the jacket is a specific model of ex-police
its the one with the 4 radio clips, adjustable cuffs and that does up high around the neck
cant find any on ebay at the moment, will keep an eye out for one
this is the guy i bought mine from http://stores.ebay.c...Police-Box-Shop

My TDM :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users