40 replies to this topic

#1 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:31 pm

On the way home tonight with my lights on with an amber filter fitted to stand out, Dayglow vest obscured by faring and rucksac, travelling about 20-25 mph (just turn from one main junction), coming up to a junction for some premises, one car turned right, across my path going the opposite direction - this one wasn't the problem as he booted it, another car decided to turn at the same time as the first car but going in my direction moving about 5mph, had to take avoiding action, drove around her, blowing my p**S poor TDM horn to inform her I was there, I stopped at the next junction about 50ft from the junction of her works, give gestures of am I invisible. can you see me.

She pulls along side me and mutters those immortal words: - 'sorry I didn't see you' not quite a red rag to a bull so I told her you could have killed me, Try and explain that to my kids after that' She just filled up with tears and said 'you are correct I could have killed you' so with this a let her go with a word of warning 'look for us on two wheels in the future as the next one may not be so lucky'

Basically she though it was clear as the other car went the opposite direction

Don't think she will be doing that again

I'll think I will ride with full beam on from tonight on-wards, this might help, there again....

Edited by Daveb, 13 November 2006 - 06:47 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#2 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:37 am

Glad you're OK.

I had two near ones this morning. First a Corsa with three lads swapped lanes without indicating 1 car ahead of me while I was filtering. I don't think they knew I was there 'til I passed them a second later. The lad in the back kinda jumped. Then not 400 yards later I was in the left lane thinking about my lucky escape when a large van in the right lane decided to share my space! Fortunately I saw him coming and just squeezed round him. Must have only had an inch.

Ordered a flourescent vest tonight.... unsure.gif

Edited by Doc, 14 November 2006 - 12:38 am.

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:59 am

glad your ok guys blink.gif

sounds silly but if ordering a florescent jacket make sure it has vertical reflective strips as well as horizontal.
its amazing how much difference this makes good.gif
its a big difference because of your posture on the bike. huh.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:02 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Tue 14th Nov 2006, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds silly but if ordering a florescent jacket make sure it has vertical reflective strips as well as horizontal.

wifgeni.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#5 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:09 pm

I would always go for a sleeved HI vis, they are much better.
Also look for one with a zip velcro soon gives up the ghost on these things.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:13 pm

QUOTE(Andy K @ Tue 14th Nov 2006, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would always go for a sleeved HI vis, they are much better.
Also look for one with a zip velcro soon gives up the ghost on these things.

wifgeni.gif
mine has a zip and velcro that covers the zip so it doesnt scratch the tank good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:01 pm

Lads, just a reminder - the vest only works if they are looking at you rolleyes.gif
You still need to ride defensively.

By the way, I may have a couple of sleeved vests with zips left; if anyone is interested PM me.

Stu

#8 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:53 pm

Glad you're okay. At least you had a penitent answer from the lady concerned, perhaps she has learnt somthing positive, even if you now only have eight lives left...ah that's cats isn't it?

#9 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:31 pm

I hope she got the message, usually if someone mentions 'SMIDSY' I go off on one, but I found talking nice to her (not shouting), had a good result. She'll be more aware of other road users.

I still belive she didn't see me, this might have something to do with her not looking before pulling out of the junction so the dayglo vest didn't work.

Have you noticed how peoples driving skills in the UK have deteriorated since the Clocks went back 1 hour.

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#10 unclesumo

unclesumo

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:53 pm

Have you noticed how peoples driving skills in the UK have deteriorated since the Clocks went back 1 hour.

I think theyve been deteriorating for years!

#11 RevvinKevin

RevvinKevin

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:12 pm

Snot just cars and vans who are idiots. Wifey and I were out on our travels yesterday. Country lane, curves to the right with a road on the apex on our left. Suicidal scooter rider heading towards us (although we were blissfully unaware of his existence due to the blind bend) cuts the corner into the road on our left. Wifey hits the brakes, I hit the horn. Youths eyeballs hit the inside of his visor as he realises just how close he had come to being wiped out. Had it have been a car coming round the bend ( myopic and no doubt speeding) matey boy scooter tosser would have been road kill.

Anyway, mind if I pop back to play on occasion, cos I missing you guys even though I deserted and bought an XT660 and wifey has an XT125 and the XT site isn't the same and the quality of jokes and insults is better here......................please! smile.gif
Honda SS50(4 speed), Honda CB 125S, Honda CB550K3, Laverda Mirage 1200, Kawasaki GPZ550, Kawasaki GPz550 (Unitrak), Yamaha 600 Diversion, Yamaha TDM 900, Yamaha XT660, Honda ST1300, Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

#12 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:16 pm

i think i saw either on the news or a newspaper that there is a campaign to stop this clocks going back thing.Not too sure what the pros n cons are of this.

#13 cyco900

cyco900

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:50 pm

cool.gif Did ya know the military boffins did some tests a few years back and they found that they could hide a whole loada tanks (the big things wi, guns on Not wi, petrol in em) behind a few hi power spot lights.
Soooo. if your riding with your headlight on and there are cars (any box) behind you with its lights on. You can become INVISIBLE. I saw this in MCN a while back as well.
So DO daytime lights realy work ? dry.gif
Boring Old Fartz mcc / Diflas Hen Rhech - the PARTY club
[b]Now 03 TDM900 and Honda 450 Cafe Racer - previous bikes:- 97 virago535 -Triumph Trophy900- TDM850Mk1- Honda VF750F- Honda CB350K4- Honda CB650F chop- Suzuki 100- Honda CB900F x2 -Honda CB250 Dream -Kawasaki K400 -Honda CB650F Chop- Honda CB750K2- Kawasaki Z1000- HD Sportster1000- Triumph 500t- Honda 400/4- TriBsa 650- BSA C15- Triumph Speedtwin combo -BSA B33 chop- BSA A65 -BSA A10 chop- Ariel Golden Arrow- BSA Bantam- Francis Barnet- NSU Quickly. think thats the lot?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
bunny hoppin

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons & Discount Shopping

#14 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:46 pm

QUOTE(cyco900 @ Sun 19th Nov 2006, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool.gif Did ya know the military boffins did some tests a few years back and they found that they could hide a whole loada tanks (the big things wi, guns on Not wi, petrol in em) behind a few hi power spot lights.
Soooo. if your riding with your headlight on and there are cars (any box) behind you with its lights on. You can become INVISIBLE. I saw this in MCN a while back as well.
So DO daytime lights realy work ? dry.gif

They do work if drivers bother to look. I think the question is - how well will bikers fare when by law all new boxes have their headlights hardwired on in the near future? EU again, somebody can no doubt provide the detail? I'm saving up for an HID kit.

#15 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:24 pm

If they don't look, they'll never see anyone, even with hi vis jackets, brighter lights, etc. I have fitted an amber lens cover, just to be different.

There was an article in MCN a couple of weeks ago about Aussie riders protesting naked on thier mechanical steads, the slogan was can you see us know, don't know if it worked.

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#16 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:39 pm

QUOTE(Daveb @ Mon 20th Nov 2006, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they don't look, they'll never see anyone, even with hi vis jackets, brighter lights, etc. I have fitted an amber lens cover, just to be different.

There was an article in MCN a couple of weeks ago about Aussie riders protesting naked on thier mechanical steads, the slogan was can you see us know, don't know if it worked.

er...that'll be this campaign, a little lower down the page, then...

http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=2227

#17 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:35 pm

QUOTE(ROB1 @ Sun 19th Nov 2006, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think i saw either on the news or a newspaper that there is a campaign to stop this clocks going back thing.Not too sure what the pros n cons are of this.

I was reading about this in the RoSPA magazine last year...'tis something to do with the fact that a higher proportion of accidents occur in the afternoon than in the morning. In the morning most people have rested and are fairly alert. In the afternoon everyone is knackered, able to concentrate less because of the stresses of the day, and are in a hurry to get home. Hence the high accident rate.

The theory goes that if it were lighter in the evening, it would enable people to see more people BEFORE they run them over, whereas in the morning they would run them over in the dark, but would know they were running them over simply because they're paying more attention. blink.gif

#18 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:24 pm

QUOTE(Minty Hippo @ Mon 20th Nov 2006, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
er...that'll be this campaign, a little lower down the page, then...

http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=2227

Correct, eeeerrrrr..... I'll thought I would make reference to it again unsure.gif

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#19 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:29 pm

Daytime lights do work, just look at the difference between the cars with lights and those without when the sun is behind them. You can't see the cars without lights. Many drivers figure 'I can see fine' and never stop to think the drivers coming the other direction are looking into the sun. Anything that makes you even 1% more noticible is worthwhile.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#20 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:03 am

just a bit naughty this, well maybe a lot naughty really but,, when I'm having a frustrating ride to work with endless amounts of people getting in my way and I can take no more and I'm about to explode in a fit of rage, I lose all care and say to myself ''move your fucking arses coz I'm coming through and I don't care if I hit you anymore'', then I have a burst of wheelie mode and for some reason everyone can see me coming and everyone on or in vehicles or on foot just gets out of the way, this is strange, why can I now be seen, is it because they feel I'm a danger to them or is it because the exhaust note is thundering off the road.
I don't think my riding like this is clever, I don't think I'm clever for doing it and I know it is stupid, but sometimes I lose self control and anger and the 'rush' takes over.
please accept my apologies for letting the side down and riding like a moron but sometimes I just don't give a shit.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users