40 replies to this topic

#21 oiler

oiler

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:40 am

Theres a lot in that Laffin, i posted t,other day ... ride like a twat, works for me. Dos,nt neccesarily mean you need to be inconsiderate , but you do need to ride aggresively and positively. I reckon a dangerous driver or rider is one who rides like that but with no consideration or patience for others. I reckon they modulating headlights are the way to go, must sort that out.
Message came back from the great beyond..........57 channels an nothin on..........

#22 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:34 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 20th Nov 2006, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daytime lights do work, just look at the difference between the cars with lights and those without when the sun is behind them. You can't see the cars without lights. Many drivers figure 'I can see fine' and never stop to think the drivers coming the other direction are looking into the sun. Anything that makes you even 1% more noticible is worthwhile.

Well, let's agree that they work in some circs. But may work against you in other. The danger is that people put them on and think that it acts like a magic cloak of invincibility as with hi-viz jackets, and then expect to be seen by everyone all the time. Seems like you can get noticed other ways too, and the human eye detects movement across the line of sight better that it does along the line of sight; lateral movement may get you better noticed (with the same caveat - in some circs).

Stu

#23 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:15 pm

so you are saying , ride like on a giant slalom or ride as if p***ed, might get noticed, or maybe by the wrong people - evening officer,
move accross the line of site, and not along it.

I think i'll ride like it says on my tax disc then 'tear along dotted line'

Edited by Daveb, 21 November 2006 - 06:16 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#24 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:25 pm

Through experience over many years (getting on as I am!) I have come up with a theory that most drivers on the road drive to what I call, 'The Car in Front Rule'.

The Car In Front Rule is simple, 'If there's room/time for the car in front to get through. there's room/time for me.'
www.myspace.com/andyrothers

#25 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:46 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Tue 21st Nov 2006, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, let's agree that they work in some circs. But may work against you in other. The danger is that people put them on and think that it acts like a magic cloak of invincibility as with hi-viz jackets, and then expect to be seen by everyone all the time. Seems like you can get noticed other ways too, and the human eye detects movement across the line of sight better that it does along the line of sight; lateral movement may get you better noticed (with the same caveat - in some circs).

I have done my share of riding like a twat like most peeps I guess. If you don't mind the odd stack, go ahead, I've certainly had a few offs. Doesn't serve you well when commuting though. This advice I find helpful for commuting in traffic:
Assume cars don't know you're there and are always just about to do the stupid thing.
You may get overtaken on the way into work by other bikers sometimes but percentage wise you'll get there more often than them. You can't ride at 100% and expect not to crash. In traffic 50 - 75% is more like it.

#26 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:39 pm

QUOTE(Minty Hippo @ Tue 21st Nov 2006, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have done my share of riding like a twat like most peeps I guess. If you don't mind the odd stack, go ahead, I've certainly had a few offs. Doesn't serve you well when commuting though. This advice I find helpful for commuting in traffic:
Assume cars don't know you're there and are always just about to do the stupid thing.
You may get overtaken on the way into work by other bikers sometimes but percentage wise you'll get there more often than them. You can't ride at 100% and expect not to crash. In traffic 50 - 75% is more like it.

I agree, certainly in Edinburgh ( & I'm sure that's the same for every city just that Edinburghs my commute )if you think ahead & keep your wits about you you can make quick smooth progress without having to put your feet down at the lights with the minmum of danger to yourself, I see loads of guys filtering & some use the method described & some are seriously aggressive all the time leaving no escape route for themselves ( half the time you can see they're going to box themselves in but they don't & obviously it's everybody elses fault ) Don't get me wrong I've done more than my fair share of riding like a Tw*t doing courier work etc but for a comute it's not worth it and half the time slower Hi-Vis no Hi-Vis so what theres no substiture for being aware - EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED good.gif

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#27 TDMalcolm

TDMalcolm

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:54 pm

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Wed 22nd Nov 2006, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, certainly in Edinburgh ( & I'm sure that's the same for every city just that Edinburghs my commute )if you think ahead & keep your wits about you you can make quick smooth progress without having to put your feet down at the lights with the minmum of danger to yourself, I see loads of guys filtering & some use the method described & some are seriously aggressive all the time leaving no escape route for themselves ( half the time you can see they're going to box themselves in but they don't & obviously it's everybody elses fault ) Don't get me wrong I've done more than my fair share of riding like a Tw*t doing courier work etc but for a comute it's not worth it and half the time slower Hi-Vis no Hi-Vis so what theres no substiture for being aware - EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED good.gif
Hi, I whole heartly agree, we have a added bonus in norfolk, drivers think that indicators are for show and don't need to work ranting.gif ranting.gif sorry my pet hate unsure.gif
TDMalcolm

#28 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:35 pm

cue dancing translucent shape of lady in front of revolving pack of tarot cards.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#29 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:34 pm

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Wed 22nd Nov 2006, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cue dancing translucent shape of lady in front of revolving pack of tarot cards.

yahoo.gif rotflmmfao.gif yeahbaby.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#30 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:22 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Wed 22nd Nov 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you forgot the all important word,........ NAKED yeahyeahyeah.gif

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#31 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:36 am

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Thu 23rd Nov 2006, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you forgot the all important word,........ NAKED yeahyeahyeah.gif

Attached File  boobies.gif   331bytes   0 downloads

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#32 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:00 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 23rd Nov 2006, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Attached File  boobies.gif   331bytes   0 downloads

rotflmmfao.gif yahoo.gif rotflmmfao.gif

#33 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:21 am

Attached File  evil.gif   959bytes   0 downloads

Edited by Pict, 23 November 2006 - 06:29 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#34 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:14 pm

I think daytime headlights on motorcycles worked better before all of the cars on the road had daytime headlights. I've got amber one side and white the other on my TDM -- I think that helps because it's different. I think modulating headlights probably work well too -- I sure notice them. Some areas they're not legal yet though. But whatever makes the rider stand out from the crowd, that's what's going to make us safer. Bright vests, bright lights, clown suits, day glo colors. All of the above, imho.

The fact is that motorcycles have less than half the profile of the autos on the road. People in cages are looking for that wide profile coming toward them, not the narrow one. They're making a decision to turn before their brain has processed all the information about what is coming toward them -- they've only processed as much as they're used to processing ... i.e. "no car coming, ok to turn". The lady that almost hit you, she did "see" you, but her brain hadn't processed it yet. The fact that you scared her almost as much as she scared you -- hopefully it will in the future remind her brain to process the info before she takes action. Classic Pavlovian training, but it does work.

For our part as motorcyclists, we just have to always keep in mind that the rest of them out there Don't See Us! And ride accordingly.
good.gif
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#35 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:29 pm

read an article recently in MCN or was it Ride? where research shows that after a certain time of day when the light fades that blue lights are far more noticable than yer ordinary white lights or indeed HID colours, suppose thats why the colour blue is reserved fer emergency vehicles.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#36 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:12 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 23rd Nov 2006, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
read an article recently in MCN or was it Ride? where research shows that after a certain time of day when the light fades that blue lights are far more noticable than yer ordinary white lights or indeed HID colours, suppose thats why the colour blue is reserved fer emergency vehicles.

The LED pilot light that I made following JBX's instructions stands out quite well because of the bright white/ blue light from it.
I kind of lik e the US ember side lights but would not like for it to be compulsory.

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 23 November 2006 - 08:14 pm.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#37 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:21 pm

well a couple of point to add to the ones already brought up.A honda XR rider about 0650 hrs hi vis on which DIDNT particulary show up but what DID show up were the little blue light he had put onto each hand guard.It really made him visible where the hi vis was obscured by his headlight. IE-you could only see his lights

#38 oiler

oiler

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:37 pm

Just like to make it clear, that when i say i ride like a twat, i dont mean a complete twat. I mean an incomplete twat. Hope that clears that up.
Message came back from the great beyond..........57 channels an nothin on..........

#39 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:10 pm

QUOTE(oiler @ Thu 23rd Nov 2006, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just like to make it clear, that when i say i ride like a twat, i dont mean a complete twat. I mean an incomplete twat. Hope that clears that up.

just looked at the safe riding factsheet good.gif posted further down this forum, and i reckon the "present yourself"section is relevent here. I like to give drivers every chance of seeing me, weave a bit, get the head light in their mirror, move out into their side mirror view. approach junctions on the crown of the road, not in the gutter, all the usual stuff. me dad angel.gif always said no one notices a good safe motorcyclist...still true. If all that fails and it goes tits up, present yourself in the face of the driver and vent yer spleen !!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#40 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:56 am

Motorcyclists should NOT have to wear flourescent clothing or white helmets etc. and they should not have to have lights on in daylight, neither should anyone else, the cause of accidents should be made clear and that is that a person simply never looked, the authorities should attack that problem and punish them severely enough, and not just accept it as something that happens and make the innocent person look like some kind of glowing motel sign to cover for someones incompetence.
How many times have we been riding or driving at night time through town or country roads and 'SEEN' a cyclist without lights on their bike or any kind of hi viz clothing at all, and yet you can 'SEE' them, and this happens because you are LOOKING, and how many times have you flashed your headlights or seen somebody else flash their headlights at somebody in a car or on a motorcycle who does not have their lights on at night, even when that car is in a line of traffic, but you see it because you are looking.
Just imagine if everyday on the news for a couple of weeks, motorists were hearing stories of other motorists going to prison for pulling out on someone or not stopping at red lights, yes I know this is extreme but people are only going to take notice if something is extreme, I reckon most people these days need to feel threatened or intimidated just to treat others with respect.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users