seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:08 pm

back home and sortin out parts sad.gif

description of the accident above by hartside is as accurate as i can give
moved out to overtake a vehicle in exactly the same way as i have done thousands of times before
no accounting for people who are unfamiliar with the controls of their vehicle rolleyes.gif

damage total:
top fairing (spare already in garage)
side fairing (spare already in garage)
smashed indicator (spare found)
broken mirror (spare found)
cracked front mudguard (still need one, pm me if you have a spare black mk1 mudguard going spare)
bent forks (to be straightened)

thanks to the really nice friendly people of Harwick, thanks to Dave for the black gaffer tape (silver would have just looked all wrong wink.gif )
i cant say enough thanks to Hartside for his mechanical expertise, string for the tracking, great idea cool.gif
the bike rode fine despite the bent forks and is now tucked up beside trixy in the garage

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#22 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:10 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
back home and sortin out parts sad.gif

Glad your back safe n sound matey good.gif

did you and Chris enjoy the lakes then ??

Edited by Hartside Man, 10 September 2007 - 08:10 pm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#23 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:17 pm

QUOTE(Hawmaw @ Sun 9th Sep 2007, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His belly acts as a counterweight and keeps him perfectly balanced !

laugh.gif whatcha.gif
QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad your back safe n sound matey good.gif
did you and Chris enjoy the lakes then ??

yup, was good, shame that top of hard knott and wrynose were in cloud, visibility was down to under 20feet in places blink.gif and the road was covered in sheep shite and water huh.gif nice and slippy sad.gif
spent 9 hours riding back down south today, avoiding the motorways as much as possible
thanks to Big Dave for the route suggestions, some of those roads were great yeahyeahyeah.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#24 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:14 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif whatcha.gif

yup, was good, shame that top of hard knott and wrynose were in cloud, visibility was down to under 20feet in places blink.gif and the road was covered in sheep shite and water huh.gif nice and slippy sad.gif
spent 9 hours riding back down south today, avoiding the motorways as much as possible
thanks to Big Dave for the route suggestions, some of those roads were great yeahyeahyeah.gif

9 hours riding, 1 hour drinking cups of coffee, 15 mins eating sausage and chips and 1 hour spent topping up my radiator rolleyes.gif

Stop trying to find replacement parts for it an accept that you're better off breaking the bike. I've got cash waiting for that rear shock biggrin.gif

Edited by ChrisG, 10 September 2007 - 10:17 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#25 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:58 pm

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Sun 9th Sep 2007, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ooohh do tell me more (looks like i missed something) wink.gif

YOU MISSED NOTHING mate!!! It simply fell off its sidestand on soft ground. Of course it just HAD to fall into a soddin patch of nettles that I didn't notice cos I was worried about the bike and that I'd put my hands into them before noticing that it hurt like bloody hell!! ranting.gif ranting.gif

Beware the whitevanman!

#26 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:23 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Mon 10th Sep 2007, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop trying to find replacement parts for it an accept that you're better off breaking the bike. I've got cash waiting for that rear shock biggrin.gif

well after straighening the forks
and replacing the top & side fairings (luckily i had spares of those)
and fairing and radiator frames (after unsuccessfully trying to straighten the originals)
i discovered i couldnt get the front wheel to line up properly with the yokes and rear wheel at the same time sad.gif
mechanicy bloke he say "you bent sumfin else mate" huh.gif
either bottom yoke dry.gif or head stock(read frame) blink.gif
also i realised while pissin around with the bent bars that i'd bent the left hand riser rolleyes.gif

so.... assuming it wasnt that big a hit it must be the bottom yoke thats fecked *fingers crossed*
luckily there was a set of forks on ebay with yokes *cough thnx for the info* that came off a bike setup at great expense by maxton for a 16stone rider
so yokes, risers and better forks for the pricely sum of £123.99p yahoo.gif

My TDM :

#27 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:53 am

Assume there's no sign of any cracks in the pain around the headstock that might indicate a slight bend?

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 22nd Oct 2007, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
came off a bike setup at great expense by maxton for a 16stone rider

Diet time then tongue.gif

Sounds like a not to expensive fix, wondered where you were going with the "bad news" comment the other day.

Now what were those new fork springs you fitted? laugh.gif

Edited by ChrisG, 22 October 2007 - 08:54 am.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#28 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:07 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Mon 22nd Oct 2007, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assume there's no sign of any cracks in the pain around the headstock that might indicate a slight bend?
Diet time then tongue.gif already a stone lighter than at snowjoke wink.gif
Sounds like a not to expensive fix, wondered where you were going with the "bad news" comment the other day.

Now what were those new fork springs you fitted? laugh.gif

i did think about you when i typed that, if you are interested i would consider parting with them to recoup a little cost
could always keep them as a spare tho, incase something similar happens

My TDM :

#29 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:14 am

laugh.gif

Nah, only joking, I'm fairly happpy with mine now I've cranked the preload to max and changed the fork oil.

Think I need to try your diet technique, gits in my office have started keeping an office biscuit tin rolleyes.gif

#30 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:20 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Mon 22nd Oct 2007, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Nah, only joking, I'm fairly happpy with mine now I've cranked the preload to max and changed the fork oil.

Think I need to try your diet technique, gits in my office have started keeping an office biscuit tin rolleyes.gif

grilled chicken kebabs FTW!

My TDM :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users