- - - - -

Hairy Gherkin

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:02 pm

Dropped into the Hairy Gherkin shop in Newcastle today to try and find a decent jacket and trousers to replace my now slightly shabby old stuff. I thought the gear they had was pretty good (Gortex an all) but was a bit took aback by the prices. Dont get me wrong I know you only get what you pay for but I thought I would take some advice from the members on this before emptying me wallet.

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:07 pm

Quite like the look of thier Tuareg kit. Just noticed they've cut the prices of it on thier website so jacket and trousers are now £270 which is about the same price as my IXS kit.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:12 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite like the look of thier Tuareg kit. Just noticed they've cut the prices of it on thier website so jacket and trousers are now £270 which is about the same price as my IXS kit.

Yes very nice grey and beige gear unfortunately they only had the small trousers. I did try em on but after the G2G I couldnt get the poppers to close. Got a comment of fat Ba**ard from her who must be ebayed. ranting.gif

#4 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:22 pm

Ever since their shop opened in Birmingham in the early nineties, I've always thought they were rip off merchants
Everything in there was always full price.
Went a few times but soon realised they never had any bargains so stopped going

bit of a joke really as there was the Excellent J&S in Brum too who sold all the nd of line kit for massive discount prices

Only thing I ever bought from them was some saddle soap and it was crap.

#5 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:27 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever since their shop opened in Birmingham in the early nineties, I've always thought they were rip off merchants
Everything in there was always full price.
Went a few times but soon realised they never had any bargains so stopped going

bit of a joke really as there was the Excellent J&S in Brum too who sold all the nd of line kit for massive discount prices

Only thing I ever bought from them was some saddle soap and it was crap.

The tuareg jacket was £138.00 and the trousers £119.oo but are they any good?

#6 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:03 pm

This thread might be helpful Danny. Having spent a just spent just over a monkey (£500) with them last weekend you can guess which side of the fence I'm sitting on laugh.gif . This is the first thing I've bought from them so I can't comment on longevity. But:
The salesman was really helpful, knew his stuff and had a lot of patience (I don't spend that much money without a fight).
I've been biking since the year dot and the kit I've bought is put together better than anything else I've ever owned.
There's a 5 year warranty on their Goretex range.
I'm tall & (relatively) slim & the HG stuff seemed a better fit than a lot of other brands.
It's not cheap, but if it lasts me five years it'll be good value for money.

The sale is on at the mo and the salesman at Liverpool said any branch can get stock from any other branch or the warehouse. He spent 20 minutes on the phone on Saturday trying to source a pair of boots in my size for me. So if you fancy the Tuareg suit, and it is a bargain at that price, ask the Newcastle branch to ring round for your size.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#7 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:23 pm

I know the HG stuff ain't exactly the cheapest gear about but it ain't the dearest either, but I find there quality is good.
As for J&S I have had 2 mates that have had problems with stuff they have bought from J&S & when the went to take them back for repair/ replace/ refund they got all sorts of BS eventually had to get citizen advice involved.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#8 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:26 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread might be helpful Danny. Having spent a just spent just over a monkey (£500) with them last weekend you can guess which side of the fence I'm sitting on laugh.gif . This is the first thing I've bought from them so I can't comment on longevity. But:
The salesman was really helpful, knew his stuff and had a lot of patience (I don't spend that much money without a fight).
I've been biking since the year dot and the kit I've bought is put together better than anything else I've ever owned.
There's a 5 year warranty on their Goretex range.
I'm tall & (relatively) slim & the HG stuff seemed a better fit than a lot of other brands.
It's not cheap, but if it lasts me five years it'll be good value for money.

The sale is on at the mo and the salesman at Liverpool said any branch can get stock from any other branch or the warehouse. He spent 20 minutes on the phone on Saturday trying to source a pair of boots in my size for me. So if you fancy the Tuareg suit, and it is a bargain at that price, ask the Newcastle branch to ring round for your size.

Cheers Matlock, I think I might nip round again as i was impressed with the jacket, nice liner and loads of handy pockets. Although the flippin trousers wouldnt do up (must have been a design fault) I was chuffed with the overall fit. if they can source me a medium pair I think I will go fer it. Just in case im a 34" waist and 6'2" so what size trousers did you go for?

#9 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:34 pm

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Matlock, I think I might nip round again as i was impressed with the jacket, nice liner and loads of handy pockets. Although the flippin trousers wouldnt do up (must have been a design fault) I was chuffed with the overall fit. if they can source me a medium pair I think I will go fer it. Just in case im a 34" waist and 6'2" so what size trousers did you go for?

In thhis weeks MCN the was a booklet with some of the HG stuff reduced including the Tuareg stuff.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:16 pm

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm 6'5" with a 36" waist. Trousers were a Euro size 54, jacket a 56.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:48 am

Went back down and they were dead helpfull. Trousera are on the way from Ireland should be here for friday morning.
Just got to sort out some boots now and im laughing. Gonna put me Sidis on flea bay. Flippin things were too narrow any way.

#12 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:07 am

a big good.gif for my oxtars, they squeak like a bassad when walking around, but they took the bike landing on them at the weekend and are 100% waterproof(Gore-tex) after 10k miles and i've not treated them with anything

model # "Oxtar TCS 7630" i think
price was £180, think i got them for £160ish from MPs in Oxford.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#13 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:48 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Wed 12th Sep 2007, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know the HG stuff ain't exactly the cheapest gear about but it ain't the dearest either, but I find there quality is good.
As for J&S I have had 2 mates that have had problems with stuff they have bought from J&S & when the went to take them back for repair/ replace/ refund they got all sorts of BS eventually had to get citizen advice involved.
TAM

never had any issues with them or their stuff.
I know they've changed market segment, or have at least in Brum, as they took over the old Carnell store in Digbeth, and now sell bikes and this years clothing at or near full price. seem to have stopped doing the end of line bargains of years gone by.
Not many bargains to be had any more or so I hear, but we've got the net & ebay nowadays so no loss really.

#14 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:38 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Thu 13th Sep 2007, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not many bargains to be had any more or so I hear, but we've got the net & ebay nowadays so no loss really.

They use ebay now, although they have nothing at the moment. H G .

smile.gif

#15 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:47 pm

I bought a touring jacket from the NEC in 94/95 and still have it.

When is the show? Don't they do good deals? Are we going? smile.gif

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:59 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Thu 13th Sep 2007, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a touring jacket from the NEC in 94/95 and still have it.

When is the show? Don't they do good deals? Are we going? smile.gif

End of November, and yes I'm thinking of going, although with the GPS, new shock, and various other bits and pieces I might have blown the toy budget by then biggrin.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:31 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Thu 13th Sep 2007, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
End of November, and yes I'm thinking of going, although with the GPS, new shock, and various other bits and pieces I might have blown the toy budget by then biggrin.gif

Looks we ought to have another thread and see if we can get a few going. usually pick up some bargains!!

#18 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:36 pm

For what it's worth... all bought earlier this year.

Spada trews £90 squid (took em back after 2 months 'cause the crotch leaked, replacements are fine).
Frank Thomas boots from J&S portsmouth (replaced after 3 months, with no hassle cause they leaked; g'teed 100% w/proof for two years) 79.00 squid. I would have gone for Sidi boots but wallet restrictions and all that...

This is the best bit... motorcycle jacket from Aldi supermarket, waterproof, windproof, two side vents. Lightweight, comfortable, shoulder back and elbow protection... 60.00 squid.

And I ride all year in all wevvers
My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:28 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Thu 13th Sep 2007, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a big good.gif for my oxtars, they squeak like a bassad when walking around, but they took the bike landing on them at the weekend and are 100% waterproof(Gore-tex) after 10k miles and i've not treated them with anything

model # "Oxtar TCS 7630" i think
price was £180, think i got them for £160ish from MPs in Oxford.

Ditto on the waterproofness and the squeak! Mine are the cheaper "Explorer" type but still excellent; only gripe is they're not very comfy to walk in with their narrow heel.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#20 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:54 pm

QUOTE(GIBBO @ Wed 19th Sep 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frank Thomas boots from J&S portsmouth (replaced after 3 months, with no hassle cause they leaked; g'teed 100% w/proof for two years) 79.00 squid.

My Frank Thomas jacket's zip broke earlier this year but FT took it back (through Southampton Infinity, where I bought it) and repaired it, despite it being a year out of the 2 year warranty. Top marks for that although I'd rather it hadn't broken..... rolleyes.gif
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users