• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:10 pm

i'd imagine plod over here in the good ole UK would frown upon such a device and issue a fine.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#42 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:28 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 10th Feb 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd imagine plod over here in the good ole UK would frown upon such a device and issue a fine.

Some police depts here still don't realize they are legal but getting a dismissal after showing the paperwork is pretty easy.
(I would keep it on the bike to avoid the ticket in the first place.)

Don't you have a motorcycle rights group to propose legality on these?
They are legal in all 50 states and canada.... perhaps other countries.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#43 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:58 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 10th Feb 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could be argued no worse than using the existing headlamp flash option? Which also raises the point that some daft b***** would interpret it as "OK to pull out"?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#44 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:52 am

It is NOT legal here to have 'flashing headlamps' - emergency vehicle only.
Modulators do not flash, they modulate the power... low power, high power, low, high, low, high...
240 times a minute +/- 40. (approx 4 times a second.)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#45 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:33 pm

Low-high-low still counts as flashing, IMHO. Not a great idea here in the UK, where we have a culture of using headlight flashing as a courtesy signal, e.g. to invite another vehicle to join from a side road or change lanes.
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#46 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:48 pm

Hi viz stuff each to hi/her own. I wear a HV jacket, its made of the same stuff the vests are made of.

When do I wear it?
#1 On my daily commute. And whenever I have to ride on a motorway
#2 When the light is poor i.e morning late aftenoon.
Why?
#1 Obvious... hopefully make other road users aware
#2 I find car drivers suddenly change lane when I'm behind them and/or drop phones, especially those who sit in the outside lane while the inside lane is empty. (I've tried 'wiggling' thinking the driver has forgotten to check the rear view mirror, but now I place myself in line with their offside door mirror. Hey presto no need to wiggle).

When do I not wear it? When out for bumble. Indoors...

Does wearing a HV alter my ridng style? No

What's my riding style? Let's just say I'm a relative of Captain Slow
My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

#47 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:33 pm

QUOTE(GIBBO @ Wed 13th Feb 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find car drivers suddenly change lane when I'm behind them and/or drop phones,

Best way to do this is to tap on their window with the carbon knuckle gaurds on your gloves rolleyes.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#48 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:28 pm

or loosen the wingmirror with your knee armour when the bassid taxi driver trys to knock you off by pulling out of stationary traffic ranting.gif

(and yes i had my lights and my HV on)

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#49 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:10 pm

Old spark plugs; used right will go in one window and out the other

#50 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:25 pm

hello,

i'd permanently wear a hi viz vest, if it were black wink.gif

and the external steel tips on MTX boots sometimes can be helpful in persuading people to refrain from trying to occupy the same space as my bike.....

of course i strongly advise to refrain from violence in traffic and advocate love peace and partnership.....

just wait till i get my onboard panzerfaust approved by the TÜV biggrin.gif

Glückauf
ralf

pig that has kicked through a car door with steel toe firefighter boots. (it was an FF exercise. really.)

#51 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:31 pm

A swift toe punt in rear light is good too rolleyes.gif

It's more fun to take revenge on stoopud car drivers than try and prevent their stupidity by wearing a hi-viz in the first place good.gif

Only kidding best to try and read their action before they do it. Is the responsable and mature answer rotflmmfao.gif tongue.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#52 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:13 am

QUOTE(erdferkel @ Thu 14th Feb 2008, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello,

i'd permanently wear a hi viz vest, if it were black wink.gif

tongue.gif

http://www.redoakdir...Vests.html#a413

Stu

#53 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 am

QUOTE(stu @ Mon 18th Feb 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looks good, think i'll get me one of those

...and this is perfect for the 900 riders

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#54 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:48 pm

LOL

splendid.

glückauf
ralf

low viz pig

#55 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:46 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 11th Feb 2008, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be argued no worse than using the existing headlamp flash option? Which also raises the point that some daft b***** would interpret it as "OK to pull out"?

A related accident happened years ago in the Lake District, when a motorcyclist was riding on a road with a bit of wave in it or bumps, dipping and rising the headlight which made it look more bright, then more dim, more bright etc. A girl / woman (who just recently got her license then) interpreted the unmeant "flashing / modulating" as a signal to enter the road (ok to pull out) in front of him, killing the biker.

So that's one good reason not to have modulators in Europe at least. The other meaning of it here is usually one that means "get out of my way, you slow fart!" (on the German Autobahn it's interpreted as a more polite "fast Beemer 7 series approaching you from behind, out of the way bitte"), causing unneeded aggression (also not very good safetywise). So modulators here would have quite the opposite effect as in the US I guess...

I personally don't like those silly reflective vests which every English rider seems to wear. When they're dirty it doesn't matter a thing in visibility anyway. But they do have a nice version for sale at the Dutch motoports now, which isn't flappy (it's made of an elastic material), so it doesn't shred that easily and looks a lot better too (not cheap though at 39 euro):

I'm still not gonna wear one, as I'm more worried about drivers cutting or pulling out in front of me, who don't see the vest through the screen and HID light anyway. Statistically that's the biggest risk anyway, not drivers hitting you from behind (which is the only location where they could see it reflected, if not hidden by a topbox anyway). I might go for a unit that enables running lights, to enhance the depth perception for observers.

Edited by E-njoy, 23 February 2008 - 09:50 pm.

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#56 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:31 pm

I find that when the motorway gets clogged up by an accident or road works.

Drivers, think I'm Plod in his Hi-vis going to the front of the que.

They just part like the Red Sea in front of me,

Flashing my main-beam, might Help a bit with the deception....... good.gif

Either way... better have every chance of being seen.

I'd hate not to wear mine and that would be the day I herd.

"Sorry Mate, din't see you. "
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#57 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:55 pm

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Sat 23rd Feb 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a motorcyclist was riding on a road with a bit of wave in it or bumps, dipping and rising the headlight which made it look more bright, then more dim, more bright etc. A girl / woman (who just recently got her license then) interpreted the unmeant "flashing / modulating" as a signal to enter the road (ok to pull out) in front of him, killing the biker.

IMHO that may have been avoided with headlight modulators... the hi-lo you refer to was obviously misinterpreted as a signal to go but modulators run hi-lo at 4 times per second, distictly faster than anyone could click from low beam to high beam.

I have seen a number of motorcycles over here with modulators and there is no way you would confuse them with a 'signal'
They can be overridden with a simple flick to low beam then back to high within 1 second (thats if the modulator is connected to the high beam (preferred) it's the opposite if you have them connected to the low beam)
There is also a daylight sensor that disables them at dusk/night.

Like hi-viz vests its all in the riders choice.
Posted Image

£

#58 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:11 pm

tony,
when will you be getting a 900? i think approximaely a week before you receive that nice pinky vest in the post. drinks.gif
that was your job adress right? kekekeke

QUOTE(brightonTDM @ Sat 26th Jan 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a hardware shop in my village that will personalize them with your name..

I spoke to the guy this morning in the paper shop, and he said that he would be able to make one up with www.carpe-tdm.net but would have to see if there was room on the vest for all the letters to go in one line.
only text or also graphics?

QUOTE(Sparky @ Mon 28th Jan 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-// it's that fact that hi-viz clothing bears an association with the emergency services, plod.gif and this, I believe, is what makes other road-users more alert to one's presence.-//-
long time ago i had spray painted my crash helmet fluo red, the same as the biker police here in Belgium have. MOST EXCELLENT
you get noticed, drivers pay attention. its very visible!

the hiviz is also handy when you are at a standstill next to the bike or if you are pulling out of a street where you beams arent shining towards the traffic.

i ride with a hiviz vest. it also shows that you care enuf to wear it. that you realise the dangers of riding a bike. that you are trying to eliminate mistakes your own and other drivers mistakes.
and they"ll have to come up with a better excuse then "i didnt see you".
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#59 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:30 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Sun 24th Feb 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
only text or also graphics?

Seen some of these and they look well made
http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/

Stu

#60 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:53 pm

but but... they are black !
not xactly HIviz ?

ill check that site out some more
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users