25 replies to this topic

#21 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:26 pm

It is still a very valid point, and i see it like that most of the time. But I was knocked off twice in 6 months, both times by doctors ironically enough.

The first went all the way around a roundabout, no indicating and I wasn't the only person on the inside lane of the roundabout  who thought they weren't going to go all the way around the outside....(driving instructor in front of me also assumed the same and just missed an accident with them himself.)  In that case the accident was at 1PM on a Sunday, and by 3PM I had just arrived home and put the kettle on, the third party's insurers (Elephant.com) phoned me to say they had heard about the accident, it was all their fault and what could they do to help me right away ? It was all settled within 4 days,  and they gave me an injury payment 3 months later too.

So after that I felt 'fair doo's '  accidents happen, no need for a webcam....

Then 6 months later, overtaking a camper van doing 40 on a 60 limit road, and without indicating and clearly unaware I was alongside drove me onto the right hand verge. He claimed he HAD indicated, that  I started my manouvre after he had swung to the right and that I was trying to sneak through a tiny gap. No other witnesses, insurance said 'lets settle for 50/50 because there were no other witnesses.

Hmmmm....I looked into a cheap camera and later upgraded to a more expensive one.....Even a £20 camera would have given me proof.

Similarly, I have heard of people who were wrongly accused by police of crossing a centre white line in the carriageway. "Oh really officer, allow me a moment to review my video please...."   In one case of a similar incident the biker didn't declare that they had contradicting video at the time, and ended up with a letter of apology from the chief constable when his lawyer mentioned it in a meeting.....

I admit I don't always use the camera too, but it is also a useful learning tool to replay an incident which (I admit I'm not perfect) might have been a result of an error on my part.

It's common to put them under the seat, or behind the fairing, any place where there isn't a constant wind blast over it...here's how it sounds...

What mount you using?

Seems really solid.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:11 pm

What mount you using?

Seems really solid.

The self adhesive pads which came with the camera...same as in the link ....one for slightly curved surfaces, stuck on the right side panel, and a completely flat one on the car dashboard

https://driftinnovat...ant=16591547013

I was very dubious about the strength of the adhesive, and at first I used a nylon fishing line tether on the camera in case the mount came unstuck, but they're actually very strong

Edited by fixitsan, 06 December 2016 - 10:16 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:09 pm

.....so for that reason if you intend upgrading later this might do for now  https://www.amazon.c...SCLU|B01KSUSDBO

Mine arrived today. Pretty good for the price. The only thing I don't like about this GoPro style unit is that it has to be in a waterproof case, making battery changing a necessity....but it came with 2 batteries anyway so there's enough for a couple of hours at least. Image quality is impressive, for this price point

#24 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:41 pm

Mine arrived today. Pretty good for the price. The only thing I don't like about this GoPro style unit is that it has to be in a waterproof case, making battery changing a necessity....but it came with 2 batteries anyway so there's enough for a couple of hours at least. Image quality is impressive, for this price point

You can get a special case to allow you to power it all the time I just ordered one. https://www.amazon.c...8051_TE_3p_dp_1

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#25 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:42 pm

I dremeled a slot for the usb on mine. But Rallyist is right, there are cases with usb access.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:18 am

I dremeled a slot for the usb on mine. But Rallyist is right, there are cases with usb access.

Top Tips. Ta !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users