• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:53 am

Good day every one. Tony Laranja from South Africa. I bought a 92 tdm 850 but I can't find another one like mine to do cross reference. Can any one please help me on how to upload a pic of my bike so that I can show u guys the bike. Just to find out if it's a limited edition or rare collectors as that alo of guys tells me it is.
Enjoy the day

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:18 am

Welcome to the club.  When composing a post, click on the 'More Reply Options' you'll then see the option to Choose Files below the text box.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:10 pm

Hi there. Sorry but I don't find that option

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:27 pm

Ewe need to be using the full version of site to see this option Tony. It wont show if using mobile version.

Will be interesting to see pic but am unaware of any limited edition or collectors version of mk1.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:04 pm

This is my 92 tdm 850
Good day every one. Tony Laranja from South Africa. I bought a 92 tdm 850 but I can't find another one like mine to do cross reference.Just to find out if it's a limited edition or rare collectors as that alot of guys tells me it is. An what the ZAR value perhaps could be.
Enjoy the day

Attached Files

Edited by TonyLaranja, 20 January 2018 - 08:10 pm.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:17 pm

Noice! Tis a standard mk1. Different seat cover fitted. Altered with single swing arm. Frame bungs missing. :-)

Not many have been altered to have single arm swinger.

No idea of value over there. Over here I would take an uneducated guess at 700quid.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:22 pm

Thanks for the info. But I am the 3rd owner of this bike. An I got in touch with both owners who had it before me. The original 1st owner says that is how he purchased it new from the sales floor. An the 2nd owner also confirmed that nothing was changed except to the powerflow slip on exhaust an the tyres. So now I am confused.

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:43 pm

Greetings

Looks like a VFR 750/800 has been applied somewhere along the line?

Here's another, different, 850

http://suprememotos....ront-wheel.html

Edited by Favs, 21 January 2018 - 07:12 am.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:29 pm

As well as the Honda swing arm being installed it also looks like the wrong front forks might have been slung in too, the petrol tank should not slope forwards at that angle (the top of the fuel tank &  filler cap should be level) unless the forks are poking through the top yolk by 3 inches ! or poss due to the wrong length rear shock being installed jacking the back end up way to high, by the look of some of the photos it's not the original rear shock, as for "brought new from the showroom like that" perhaps one of the Yamaha dealers mechanics had a play to make a "special edition" but deffo not a Yamaha offering, might be wrong tho'. :hide:

Edited by Gdogg, 20 January 2018 - 09:34 pm.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#10 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:27 pm

Also the front wheel is not the standard one & looks like a 17'.

top_640.png

#11 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:25 am

Vfr 400 front and rear, probably nc30. Forks are the same diameter (41mm) but around 3 inches shorter hence the funky tank angle. Definitely not a Yamaha special build I'm afraid.

Edited by Swarf, 21 January 2018 - 09:48 am.

#12 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:28 pm

Dont like what i presume is the rear brake line hanging about somewhat, surely it should be fixed a bit more securely ??

Edited by dablik, 21 January 2018 - 12:31 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:47 pm

Yes it's the rear brake line. An it secure. I did make sure about it. Purchased a proper brake line holding brake. There is no way that the line can get damaged by either the chain or wheel it self. But thanks to the input.
Front wheel is a 17 an back wheel 18

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:42 pm

Yes it's the rear brake line. An it secure. I did make sure about it. Purchased a proper brake line holding brake. There is no way that the line can get damaged by either the chain or wheel it self. But thanks to the input.
Front wheel is a 17 an back wheel 18

Ah that's your problem, the wheels are back to front :D certainly different though  :good: 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:08 pm

I also noticed it the day I bought it. An that's the whole reason I started to do research on the bike. As that a lot of people told me it's a rare collectors item. An a whole bunch of other stories. So ja it is different but it still looks nice. How ever I still have a long way to go with it as that there are still lot to do an cosmetics to be repaired an fixed. It's a pity I'm in South Africa as that here are not a lot of spare parts available as like in the EU an the UK an so on.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:40 pm

Reckon you might be running out of fuel pretty quickly with the tank at that angle. ;)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#17 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:01 pm

Y would u say that? It's still sloped to the back on the inside an it's doesn't make a difs about the angle it's laying at.

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:28 pm

Because you get less fuel out from the outlet when the tank is at an angle like that.  I've rested my tank at a similar angle when it was off the bike and drained it off, had to tip the tank level to get more fuel out of it.

#19 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:40 pm

It certainly looks a little different. Not in a bad way. A few franchised dealers over here sometimes through their owners or head mechanics wishes make the bike they believe the manufacturer should have. Triumph dealers doing specials for instance. They are not neccessarily backed, endorsed or funded by the manufacturer and in the cases i have seen are also not covered by the standard warranties. This is not a critisism so please don't take it that way but you'd have to ask yourself if the mods done actually benefit the bike and if they do then why didn't Yamaha do the same. Cost maybe who knows.

As to value thats so personal to any potential buyer. If I didnt know the TDM brand your bike looks like a funky single sided swingarm older bike. If, like the majority of readers on here they do know the TDM brand, they may want a standard, tried and tested bike. The value over here is definately in unmolested original bikes.

All that being said, it looks like a fun bike and to any yamaha enthusiasts would definately be a head turner/talking point. enjoy the bike.

#20 TonyLaranja

TonyLaranja

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:18 am

Thank u so much. Look all critisism are welcome an positive remarks as well. This is my 1st dual purpose bike. An from what I have experienced with the bike till now is that it handles great around curves an turns. I took a drive on a friend of mines tdm an I felt that it's got a bit of a tension to kinda like to pick up in front if u open up a bit from pull off. Where with mine being slanted to the front a bit it feels a bit more eased an as if it has more bonding with the road instead of urging to lift the front. Enormous strength an torque up hills with makes it a fun bike to me. As that I am 127kg so ja it is a bit of a benefit there. Thanks for all the input an yes it is a bit of a head Turner over here in S.A.. An I Linda like the attention that a lot of people give to it when they see it.
Only problem I experience now is the following.
I replaced the rectifier an stator but it's like the battery is getting drained after about 15km drive. It starts to like misfire an then just goes dead. The battery then sound flat an refuse to start up again. After standing to about 30min or so the the bike starts again. Almost like there is a build in Ghost charger hidden so well in it that it's impossible to find. Can it be a bad battery cause that's the only thing I didn't replace. I took readings with multi meter before start up an ignition off 12.43v. Ignition on before start up 12.11v. Startup drop to 11.23v an rises to 12.58v while idling. Lifting refs to 4k the voltage stays between 12.45v an 12.59v.
Any ideas or tips please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users