#1 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:47 am

I've previously run 971's on my first TDM.  I really like the small amout of rake on the ends, makes for very comfy wrists.

I recently came upon a set of 30mm risers on here, and snaffled them up quick.

Fitted them at work the other day, and what a difference.

The issue with the 971 is they are low, so changes posture to more like a sports bike, but the risers have made a huge difference.  Before was ok, now it's like riding your favourite bike from your favourite arm-chair.

I'd tried 756(or 755 cant remember) on current TDM, and although they are better than OE, the new setup is miles better...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:58 am

Interesting, so less rake than a 7 series renthal, they must be near on straight i would imagine, does this change your posture from more upright to having a little lean forward Adam (maybe not with the armchair anecdote) and are they clearing the plastics on full lock okay, sounds a bit like favorite slippers :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,514 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:22 am

And the cables all worked out ok then.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:01 pm

are they 22mm or 7/8" .... or is that unimportant ?

EDIT... dopey question ;)

Edited by fixitsan, 13 January 2018 - 12:08 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,753 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:12 pm

Looks good. Did'nt work, you'll need to put the preferences in yourself folks.

Edited by dablik, 13 January 2018 - 03:14 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:21 pm

That's a cool link dablik.  I was surprised how much better 756s felt over stock even though the sweep difference is minor.  Those 971s look like dirt bike bars.  I don't know if I would like them better than the 756s, but it would probably make the TDM feel more like my X-Challenge - at least with respect to the bars.

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,753 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:02 pm

I think they are MX bars, suspect you would lean forward ever so slightly which would suit me.

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:27 am

Interesting, so less rake than a 7 series renthal, they must be near on straight i would imagine, does this change your posture from more upright to having a little lean forward Adam (maybe not with the armchair anecdote) and are they clearing the plastics on full lock okay, sounds a bit like favorite slippers :)

Without the risers you are a lot more "prone", and you have to be fairly careful with postitioning to ensure you don't mark the plastics.

With the risers in place the plastics are fine, and you can fine tune the position of the bars (twist in the clamps)

My risers are 30mm, but slightly lower would still clear, and bring them to a similar height to the 755 based on the comparison image.

And the cables all worked out ok then.

You do have to fettle the cables - in as much as you have to make sure the slack is towards the bars, but no modifications needed...

Here is the Renthal site comparison of 755 (Road Medium) vs the 971-08.

I have to say that the straighter bars are more comfy on the wrists over the 755's.

Attached File  Renthal Comparison.PNG   155.75KB   0 downloads

Edited by dmmsta, 15 January 2018 - 07:29 am.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,753 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:22 pm

Cheers Adam, something to think about down the road, after more important stuff, but i do like the idea of a straighter bar even though i've not had any issues with the 755's, cheers :good:

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:23 pm

I think they are MX bars, suspect you would lean forward ever so slightly which would suit me.

A slight lean forward seems to suit me too. Could be comfort, but also because the front end feels a bit less remote. I'm happy with the 756s.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:27 pm

I use two raisers one of them and offset raiser. I just moved the controls slightly any everything is fine. Helps a lot with the arthritis in my hands, and allows me to either sit up straight or slightly prone. Plus it allows the BMW hand guards to clear the inner nose fairing.

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:32 pm

I've just swapped my 756s for the 971s. I have 20 (or 25 ?) mm risers

It's a tight squeeze over the tank because of the wires for my Oxford heated grips exiting the grip moulding underneath, but rotating the bars forwards 15 degrees or so sorts that out. My handgaurds are hitting the fairing on full lock but I am going to cut a piece out of them because I like the bars.

5 inches of snow prevents me from going out for a ride, but quiet brrrrmmmm, brrrrmmmm, in the garage pretending to ride to Glencoe says they do feel a bit better, slightly more prone but i prefer that to being further back.

Suits my wrists better, not sure how they'll be filtering because i do feel their extra width of about 15mm each side but i can always wait a bit longer if I can't squeeze through

Edited by fixitsan, 16 January 2018 - 09:32 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users