#21 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:58 am

Mk1 has a castellated nut with a split pin and the nut is on the right-hand side. :)  Even shows up on the cover of the Haynes manuel.

I inserted it the wrong way last spring and had heck of a job getting it out as all the bolt had to be pushed through the tight bushing  :unsure2:

So - yes, take care !

Bjørge

#22 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:05 am

Well this throws up quite the debate does'nt it, my axle is currently done up on the chain side which is how it came to me and i have pondered which is the correct way to have it !

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#23 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:54 pm

Should've kept my mouth shut....haha!!!

#24 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:42 pm

my axle is currently done up on the chain side which is how it came to me and i have pondered which is the correct way to have it !

You ave it rissole backads dabbers. Insert from sprock side, nut offside is how they came from yam. Mk1 this is.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#25 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:18 pm

Gotcha :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#26 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:52 am

I get the best engineering practice bit about rotation but don't get it on an axle spindle.

HGVs can have left hand threaded nuts on the left side of the vehicle if they are a conical nut fastening opposed to a spigot bolt. The theory (and practice) behind is the left hand thread will keep tightened in the direction the vehicle is moving (unless reverse gear is the chosen option  :P ) The same for centre nut wire wheel fastenings on classic sports cars, LH thread for left side of the car.

As the spindle isn't rotating on the bike then it's surely a case of convenience which side the axle goes in?  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#27 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:44 pm

Woopwoop, debate dismissed :D 

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:19 pm

I guess they factor in the possibility that the axle might sieze to the wheel if it's not lubed. :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#29 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:54 pm

Maybe but as you know i'm always lubed up ;)

#30 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:53 am

Slightly different principle as the axle itself is rotating, and the nut is just retaining the wheel. Imagine your bearings are wearing in your wheel, and there is now a loading trying to turn the inner race along with the outer race. That in turn is loading the spindle and trying to turn it along with the wheel.
I agree the forces on a properly maintained machine are minimal, I just prefer to follow engineering practice. (The company I work for makes high speed packing machinery so we deal with a lot of bearings, shafts and similar parts).

I guess they factor in the possibility that the axle might sieze to the wheel if it's not lubed. :unsure2:

Just that, Studley....

#31 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:41 pm

Slightly different principle as the axle itself is rotating, and the nut is just retaining the wheel. Imagine your bearings are wearing in your wheel, and there is now a loading trying to turn the inner race along with the outer race. That in turn is loading the spindle and trying to turn it along with the wheel.
I agree the forces on a properly maintained machine are minimal, I just prefer to follow engineering practice. (The company I work for makes high speed packing machinery so we deal with a lot of bearings, shafts and similar parts).

Just that, Studley....

I'll bow to that  :drinks:  Now lets imagine the nut is nicely tightened up on the left side - the rotating forces on the spindle will be trying to tighten the spindle into the nut. All good theory  :cool:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#32 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:45 pm

Exactly, that's the theory behind it. I just thought it quite interesting that three tdm's all suffered the same adjuster plate pulling into the swingarm and they all had the spindle inserted from the left. Never seen it before on a bike, all my previous ones have been from the right.
Anyhoo makes for good theorem....😂

#33 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:51 am

I understand all the tech stuff about seizure and rotation, but on a practical note, I insert from the left...oohh er missus....because I can't imagine the hassle of removing the spindle nut (potentially 150Nm) on the roadside using the 6" long marzipan spanner in the tool kit, even with the extension fitted. If the nut is on the right hand side of the bike, at least you can get your foot on it and push down, giving you half a chance. In the numbers game, I reckon there's more chance of having to remove the wheel away from home than a well maintained, greased and inspected wheel bearing letting go catastrophically......touch wood!!

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users