• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 stevierst

stevierst

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 51 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:44 pm

Well as the title says, I've just done Blackpool to Morocco and back on my TDM 900. A trip that took me to Portsmouth, through Spain, a loop round Morocco encompassing the Sahara, tizi n tess, ticha n tess, dudes gorge, and back again in 19 days. 3770 miles, an I couldn't have picked a better bike to do it on in my eyes.
There was a variety of new bikes, then my 13 year old 'scruff'. 2 x BMW RT1200's, 2 x new Africa Twins, BMW k1300s, BMW k1200gt (DNF), 1200 explorer, GS1200, tiger800(DNF) Yam Diversion 600 new one, and a Kwak Z1000sx.
Gotta admit, the 9er operated flawlessly, only ever leaving me wanting once in the Spanish mountains where her older tech engine was getting a bit asthmatic at the altitude. Everywhere else she was just about perfect!

Attached Files

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!
The current stable
04 TDM900. My work/winter/touring donkey.
The Work Of Idle HandsVI :- 2016 Yamaha XSR900 with a few tweeks:badgerrock:

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:57 pm

Get in :badgerrock: pics and info when your ready Steve, well done, sounds like a lot of fun......was meant to do that with lazy arse for his 50th..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:47 pm

Nice one Steve. Very envious

#4 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:52 pm

Been trying to put more pictures on, got to reduce them slightly first🙄
The current stable

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:00 pm

Sounds like a great tour Stevie. :good: Look forward to hearing more.

Gonna put yer photo up for consideration in the Carpe calendar. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 steves100uk

steves100uk

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:51 pm

Sounds great. Can't wait to see the pics.

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:35 am

brill, had the same issue in mountains with my 850, scared me at first  thinking it was breaking down.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:30 am

Heres Dades Gorge we blasted up dodging badly built trucks, camels, donkeys, and crazy Italian off roaders!

This is just before the mother of all hailstorms which triggered massive landslides blocking one direction, and destroying the road in the direction we had to go in!

Attached Files

The current stable

#9 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:51 am

When the heavens decided it was time to stop raining, and the landslides covered the roads, we took a trip either end to take a look at the damage!

This is the upper part of the road.

We ended up riding through that in the dark as the bulldozers couldn't clear it all. The word "challenging" springs to mind!

And this is the portion that washd away completely! the road ended up as a massive pile of gravel 200 foot below in the river!.

Attached Files

The current stable

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:52 am

Cool ! :cool:  Proper adventure ride. Hailstone in Morocco eh, who'd a thunk it.  Have to say, on my euro tour the 9'er and the mk2a 850 both performed well in the Pyrenees, Picos and Alps.  Down on power at high altitude but not so much as to be worried about.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:00 am

And this is the result of a nights riding in Morocco across landslides, flooded roads which were flowing at 30+mph and a foot deep, massive rocks in the roads, and frightened wild animals straying into our paths.

We were strongly advised not to travel at night in Morocco, ESPECIALLY on Motorbikes! And the Tiger is the reason why. This is one of the DNF's as the rider clipped the rear of the front bike, swerved off and into the flooded river which swept her away and over the edge into the flood water. We dragged her and the bike out safely, but the bike was trashed! This was at night with a massive electric storm lighting the sky behind us, and locals everywhere panicking. Quite dramatic stuff for a holiday!!!

Heres the Tizi n test pass. Apparently one of the worlds most dangerous roads. All I can say it was absolutely awesome!!!!

Attached Files

The current stable

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:04 am

Crikey, not cool. :(  Glad to hear the rider was ok, lucky escape going off the state of the Tiger.

#13 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:34 am

The rider was really lucky, at 65 years old she could have drowned in that flood. 3 of us were waist deep in the water getting her out, and the bike took 8 of us to lift it as it was under the water! 😬

For the rest of the trip I had a blast. I was at the back playing catch up all the time, and some of those roads are incredible. The Spanish national parks are bikers heaven, and no chicken strip was harmed in the making of this trip! 😂
The current stable

#14 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:37 pm

And who said you can't have fun with luggage on? This was a brand new PR3 when I set off. 130+ litres of luggage fitted, and she cornered brilliantly on the twisties!

I showed all the riders of new and expensive bikes that it's not what you've got, it's how you ride it! Even the chap on the k1300s (bit of a young rev head) couldn't get away from me on the bends 😈

Be gone chicken strips!! 😂

Oh, and the wheels are actually black, not sand coloured 😂

Attached Files

Edited by stevierst, 17 October 2017 - 12:38 pm.

The current stable

#15 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:47 pm

Wow! What an achievement. Sounds very hairy!
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#16 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:56 pm

This is the route and itinerary of where we stopped during the trip.
Blackpool- start
Shelton in emet- meeting point.
Portsmouth- 24 hour ferry
Salamanca-first night
Seville
Tetouan
Fez
Arfoud
Ouarzazarte
Marrakesh -absolutely nuts!!
Agadir
Essauria - tree climbing goats!
Casablanca- London is traffic free compared to here!!!😱
Tangier
Guazalema
Toledo
Valladolid
Santander
Blackpool
A total of 3770 miles with a Yorkshire based company called 'mototours'. Less then 1/2 the price of the BMW motorad tour (£2100), and you go to better hotels, and see more places.
I know they're taking bookings for this time next year, and it's highly recommended. A tour I'll never forget in my lifetime!!!

Attached Files

The current stable

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:04 pm

Blimey sounds like a film in the making Steve, hairy is the word, good to hear the old girl was okay, how did she go on from that point !!

TDM...................Tough Durable Machine :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:16 pm

Nice trip - glad everyone survived and you had some fun too. Gotta be some great after dinner stories (and friends), from a trip like that. :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#19 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:00 pm

Wow, never mind a few pictures, you need to start pitching the movie to Hollywood  :good:  Great trip, well done on completing it and proving that the TDM can mix it with the best of them.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#20 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:47 pm

:good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users