3 replies to this topic

#1 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:42 am

Hi all, some suspension advice required as other than tweaking screws/nuts on OEM set ups I've never really tinkered with it.

Here's the thing, it's not on my 9er but my naked 2004 SV1000. SV1000 forums are sparsely populated now so as I'm only after general advice I thought why not ask here?

The bike is 2004, 10,500 miles, no service history. AFAIK everything is OEM. The bike is still very capable and great fun to ride (Engine performance and noise makes me giggle!) but its pretty harsh on the bumpy stuff, it can also weave a little when accelerating hard through fast corners with an uneven surface. Nothing horrible but like most bikes the OEM suspension is probably built to a price.

I'm approx 11.5 stone without kit. I'm looking to improve things front and rear over the winter, probably doing as much of the work as I can myself with a budget of around £500.

Rear: Hagon, Nitron, Wilbers etc etc. What have you used and what works? What is cheap and nasty, worse than OEM and to be avoided? i.e Hagon make a non adjustable shock for 75-100kg rider, price seems reasonable but is it any good?

Front: Other than fitting Hagon springs to a Bandit I owned I know little about this. New better quality springs, new oil, change bushes and seals? What else should I think about, valving and springs are a mystery :)

So your thoughts please.

John

Signature test

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:04 am

Hi John,  i suspect it's set up ferra lardy rider loike me.  yer built loike a prima ballerina ya lucky so & so. If ya have the handbook with the bike then it'll explain the basics of suspension adjustment. Best to attempt these adjustments afore spending yer hard earned on new kit.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:16 pm

Thanks Wicklamulla

OEM front and rear is adjustable for preload/comp/rebound. When I got it preload front and rear was standard but comp/rebound were at max. It was also on road legal race tyres that were beyond scrap. The ride home on wet roads was not pleasurable! I since bumped into a previous owner in a petrol station, (The guy I bought it off only had it six months) He had fitted the race tyres, he's a short circuit racer and is now racing the roads in Ireland. The settings it was on may have suited him but I thought they were awful!!!

I put new tyres on and returned everything to standard settings. The bike in comparison is fantastic, but it does have the issues I mentioned in the original post. To my shame I haven't checked static sag yet, I will do that and adjust as necessary. I just get the feeling new bits will be required and if I thought it would improve the bike considerably I'd like to do it as a project over the winter.

Signature test

#4 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:14 pm

I decided to sell the SV and attempt to locate a tidy Ducati Monster to replace it with, so the winter SV suspension project won't be happening now.

Thanks again.
Signature test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users