11 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:06 pm

These days I don't ride during the winter. The combined effects of years and rheumatoid arthritis make it a bad idea to try. However today, although still technically winter, looked and felt so nice I took the bike out for a short spin around the Yorkshire Wolds. 

The first ride after a winter lay off never, ever fails to rekindle that teenage enthusiasm all over again. The feeling of freedom after months of city traffic queues cooped up in the car just makes me feel so glad be around  and enjoy it.

When I was a youngster I used to read stories by a guy called Roy K Battson about the adventures he'd had on bikes way, way back in the 1920s on old Nortons and the like and wondered if I'd still be riding bikes if I got to be as old as him. Well here I am at 64 and thankfully still going strong and enjoying my bikes.

Plans this year include The Lakes, Scotland and Northern Ireland and, just like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas, I can't wait! 

Summer 2018 - BRING IT ON!

Riggers. 

#2 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:13 pm

Sounds great, enjoy the ride  :yeahbaby: 

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:35 pm

Well done wiggers. 🍩
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:47 pm

:badgerrock:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:51 pm

So that's what it feels like huh, by the time i get back on i'll prolly have an orgasm ;) nice one Riggers, guess you dusted off the cobwebs  :good: 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:40 am

:clapping:

Bjørge

#7 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:46 pm

... I took the bike out for a short spin around the Yorkshire Wolds. 

Where dya go then Riggers? B1248 to Wetwang? Fiveways Cafe at Fridaythorpe? Or, is Fimber roundabout cafe still open for business? Over to Brid via Sledmere?

How I miss those roads :(

Summer 2018 - BRING IT ON!

I read this as Summer 2018 - BRIDLINGTON!. Not a massive tour from Hull I thought :)

Edited by Jim, 12 March 2018 - 04:47 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#8 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:02 pm

Where dya go then Riggers? B1248 to Wetwang? Fiveways Cafe at Fridaythorpe? Or, is Fimber roundabout cafe still open for business? Over to Brid via Sledmere?

How I miss those roads :(

I read this as Summer 2018 - BRIDLINGTON!. Not a massive tour from Hull I thought :)

Didn't go too far as I was late setting off Jim. I did so the B1248 but only as far as Bainton, and then took a left to Pocklington and did a bit of following my nose around the Wolds.

Seaways cafe at Fridaythorpe stays open all year (I believe), but the one at Fimber is only open on Fridays until spring takes hold. As there's only outside seating there I guess it's no wonder! It's under new management I'm told and the car=park has been improved. 

#9 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:50 pm

Seaways, that’s it. Fiveways is/was the jap bike dealer off Anlaby Road. Must get over there on the bike this year.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#10 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:16 pm

Hi Riggers

I have one of Roy K Battsons books called 'The Land Beyond The Ridge' and it's a great read, if you like old bikes and nostalgia. It's quite a rare book now and generally cost around £60-70 on Amazon but there are a couple of copies on ebay at the mo for thirty odd squids.

Having cut his motorcycling teeth on old belt driven 1920's models right through to his final bike, a 250cc model 14 AJS single, it's amusing to read one of the last chapters of the book (published in 1974) where he bemoans the demise of the British Motorcycle industry and the simple single cylinder machines they produced

"....But now, public taste and the Japanese have distorted that pleasant image; a rider now must have two, three or four cylinders... at prices varying from £700 to an incredible £2000. True, there is, at the moment a superbike craze but I doubt if it can, or will, last."  :lol: 

Funny to think now that that old model 14 Ajay that he sold due to failing health back in 1973, would easily fetch £2000 if it was in good nick. 

Oddly enough, the first ever 'proper' bike I rode was also a model 14 AJS 250 - I had turned sixteen and had my provisional licence and  an old school chum of mine was trying to flog it to me by letting me ride it up and down the road on our estate a few times, but my dad took pity on me and splashed out on a nearly new 1970 Honda CB250 K1 .... fortunately !

I'm just a year younger than you and I'll be doing Ireland this year for about ten days with three other riding pals - it will be our sixth annual road trip having done Scotland a couple of times, Northern Italy, Germany and last year a memorable trip in northern Spain - Santander  to Santiago de Compostela. The oldest of our group is 72, (standing at about 5'6 and riding a GS1200 BMW), then next 64, then me and finally the youngster at a mere 52. 

I reckon you have a good few years left yet, I sure hope I have

Dan

#11 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:21 pm

Hi Riggers

I have one of Roy K Battsons books called 'The Land Beyond The Ridge' and it's a great read, if you like old bikes and nostalgia. It's quite a rare book now and generally cost around £60-70 on Amazon but there are a couple of copies on ebay at the mo for thirty odd squids.

Having cut his motorcycling teeth on old belt driven 1920's models right through to his final bike, a 250cc model 14 AJS single, it's amusing to read one of the last chapters of the book (published in 1974) where he bemoans the demise of the British Motorcycle industry and the simple single cylinder machines they produced

"....But now, public taste and the Japanese have distorted that pleasant image; a rider now must have two, three or four cylinders... at prices varying from £700 to an incredible £2000. True, there is, at the moment a superbike craze but I doubt if it can, or will, last."  :lol: 

Funny to think now that that old model 14 Ajay that he sold due to failing health back in 1973, would easily fetch £2000 if it was in good nick. 

Oddly enough, the first ever 'proper' bike I rode was also a model 14 AJS 250 - I had turned sixteen and had my provisional licence and  an old school chum of mine was trying to flog it to me by letting me ride it up and down the road on our estate a few times, but my dad took pity on me and splashed out on a nearly new 1970 Honda CB250 K1 .... fortunately !

I'm just a year younger than you and I'll be doing Ireland this year for about ten days with three other riding pals - it will be our sixth annual road trip having done Scotland a couple of times, Northern Italy, Germany and last year a memorable trip in northern Spain - Santander  to Santiago de Compostela. The oldest of our group is 72, (standing at about 5'6 and riding a GS1200 BMW), then next 64, then me and finally the youngster at a mere 52. 

I reckon you have a good few years left yet, I sure hope I have

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan. 

I've been shuffling through my old copies of Motorcycle Sport and my earliest copy is September 1970 which would have made me 16 when I bought it. Unusually for a 16 year old I liked the fuddy duddy authors  (as I saw them then), like R K Battson, and liked reading about his 1920s bikes - 'Two Tails" was one of them, an old twin port two stroke I think. One of his last articles was regarding the sale of his AJS to a youngish lad, and the ending of his motorcycling years - another one to bring a lump to the throat.  :(

I've not read 'Over the Ridge' but I might one day if I can bring myself to part with 60 quid for 80ish pages.

Like you I was lucky to have some financial help with my first bike. In my case from an uncle who helped me with a new 250 BSA Starfire which sadly didn't live up to expectations. It was badly made and very unreliable, and left me wishing I'd paid a bit more and got a CB250 (which I did eventually).

Last year 'my gang' and I did the Normandy landing grounds and war graves in France which made quite a journey from Hull via Zebrugges and an overnight stopover in Amiens. The oldest in our party was 85 riding a Honda 500 twin, so there's hope for us yet! The same guy is coming to N.Ireland with us this year, along with his new knee. :)

Take car mate and nice to talk to you.

Riggers.

#12 DavG

DavG

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:30 am

Woke up on Sunday 25th and opened the curtains, nice surprise the sun was out temp was on the up.. Few phone calls and a ride out was organised, Headed across the Lincolnshire wolds on the twisties (naturally) passed Cadwell Park on to Woodhall Spa and Janet's tea room, a lovely little place run by a lovely elderly lady who's very Biker friendly ( sell fantastic home made cake as well Mmmm). From there carried on across the wolds to Market Rasen where there's a place called Willingham Woods, A local bike meeting place with tea/Burger cabin and facilities (always worth a visit).. Could tell the weather was better as it was packed with at least 400 other bikers.. The Pic below is about 1 3rd of one of the car parks and all of it was as full as this.. Time we got home we were tea up, caked out and Happy as Larry. Can't wait for the rest of the year..

Attached Files

• Attached File  ww.jpg   192.93KB   0 downloads

Edited by DavG, 29 March 2018 - 12:33 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users