Photo
- - - - -

Any Experiences With 3D Printed Bodywork?

TDM900

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:01 am

Despite buying it lots of treats like new suspension and a plush seat, my TDM still decided to punish me by ejecting a side panel into a woodland verge on Friday.

On closer inspection, the front fairing and the wayward side panel are both a mess. 

In the case of the top fairing the main issue is the broken bolt points for other plastic parts like the clock-surround. Outwardly it looks fine.

The side panel that flew off broke in 3 so that's toast.

The clock surround has cracks, but those could be glued.

Buying original is obviously an option but seeing as mine had a custom paint job, that would mean buying the other side panel too or respraying the lot.

So, has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with buying printed fairing sections?
Any links welcome too.

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:28 am

45671812575_77d7f7aab9_c.jpgexample2 by Chris Barron, on Flickr

31674593167_2a899d8853_b.jpglarge by Chris Barron, on Flickr

If you click on one of the above images it will take you to my flickr feed, and clicking the left and right arrows will show you what I did to repair broken fairings and other broken fixings

I printed in ABS, which glued well to the fairing plastic, using acetone, or plastic pipe welding compound

The fairings are still held on solidly.

I didn't save any models, I didn't expect anyone would have exactly the same needs as me for specific brackets. To make them is a bit time consuming, it's best to make a very low resolution (even hollow)  model first which prints relatively quickly, check the fit, make your adjustments, check the fit again, and when you're happy print the final piece in high resolution.

Edited by fixitsan, 16 April 2023 - 10:24 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 11:51 am

Looks like I might be investigating 3D printers!

Ive no experience myself but Im t seems increasingly handy.

Otherwise Ill be looking for companies.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 12:00 pm

Looks like I might be investigating 3D printers!

Ive no experience myself but Im t seems increasingly handy.

Otherwise Ill be looking for companies.

You could probably make modelling clay based parts and send them to a home based 'maker' who will scan and print them in plastic for you

EG https://www.etsy.com...ing_3d_printing

If the printer isn't perfectly set up, and you make taller objects, then sooner or later you find you need to readjust the printer and discard a failed print. I think it's sometimes more cost effective to take the cost of waste, and waste of personal time out of the equation, by passing the job to someone else who needs to deal with those issues

I have a work colleague who has 6 printers in his spare room and prints parts , trading on Etsy, above. I don't think he makes much money but it's also his hobby

Edited by fixitsan, 16 April 2023 - 12:06 pm.

#5 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:47 am

this is in the pipeline for me.  Im currently balls deep building a motobike, which includes a custom fairing that I have modelled and am in the process of printing. 

Once that is done and the bike is on the road I am going to turn my attention to the TDM.  The plan is to make a fairing set that makes the bike look a lot more modern, or even more classic styling. 

I figure there are loads of people out there on TDMs that they love, but would like a less dated looking machine. Im one of them!

current project 

20230406_174302.jpg

inspiration

FB_IMG_1674081993359.jpg

Thats just an extension to the side fairing. makes a huge difference to the attitude of the bike. 

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:14 pm

Nice inspiration !

#7 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 11:06 am

You could probably make modelling clay based parts and send them to a home based 'maker' who will scan and print them in plastic for you

EG https://www.etsy.com...ing_3d_printing

If the printer isn't perfectly set up, and you make taller objects, then sooner or later you find you need to readjust the printer and discard a failed print. I think it's sometimes more cost effective to take the cost of waste, and waste of personal time out of the equation, by passing the job to someone else who needs to deal with those issues

I have a work colleague who has 6 printers in his spare room and prints parts , trading on Etsy, above. I don't think he makes much money but it's also his hobby

I like the idea of learning 3d printing, but what you say makes a lot of sense. The spirit is willing but the wallet and schedule will tell me to get lost in no time at all.

By the time I've bought all the gear, I could just buy at least one new panel.

this is in the pipeline for me.  Im currently balls deep building a motobike, which includes a custom fairing that I have modelled and am in the process of printing. 

Once that is done and the bike is on the road I am going to turn my attention to the TDM.  The plan is to make a fairing set that makes the bike look a lot more modern, or even more classic styling. 

I figure there are loads of people out there on TDMs that they love, but would like a less dated looking machine. Im one of them!

current project 

20230406_174302.jpg

inspiration

FB_IMG_1674081993359.jpg

Thats just an extension to the side fairing. makes a huge difference to the attitude of the bike. 

That does look nice!

I was imaging going the other way and having some cowling that is shorter on top and below. Just low enough to cover the CPU on the left side and my air-horns on the right, and low enough on the front to give me a mini screen.

Something that merges well with the moulds on the tank, but makes the front of the bike look more minimalist.

That that is well beyond my capabilities. Budget too, probably.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 25 April 2023 - 11:08 am.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TDM900

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users