31 replies to this topic

#21 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:57 pm

Right, so I`ve got the carbs in a squillion pieces for a thorough check and clean but I haven`t found anything obvious that`s causing an issue.

Barmy question, could anybody tell me though if there is anything special about the `o` ring for the pilot air screw? Is it just a standard tiny one or does it have a special profile? 

#22 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:42 pm

So I absolutely scrutinised every single part of the carbs and could not find anything suspicious that would have caused the crappy running issue. I looked at all the jets under magnification and they all appeared clear and no unusual wear on any other parts.

The jets looked a bit more tarnished than I would have thought as it`s only been a matter of weeks since they were fitted. Anyhoo, as a belt and braces approach I cleaned every thing to surgical levels and blew every orifice through with a powerful compressor. put it all back together this aft and It`s running like a Swiss watch again. It`s still `dun me `ead in` as there was no apparent reason for the problem to start with, but I`m not going to question it too much!

The only thing I did differently was the pilot setting. When I first did them they were out 2 turns and that`s where I reset them. I had a look in the book and that says that a mk1 should be backed out 3 turns. As it was running well before, but only out two turns on the screws where the book says 3, I`ve split the difference and used 2 1/2 turns out and I`ll see how it goes at that.

Has anyone else altered the setting? how did it go? I`d be interested to know after all this bloody faff.

#23 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:06 am

I've had the same frustration only to find tiny crap under one of the floats in the past, have found one pilot at 2 3/4 and the other at 3 before, you'll likely need to check spark plug colour later.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#24 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:14 am

I've had the same frustration only to find tiny crap under one of the floats in the past, have found one pilot at 2 3/4 and the other at 3 before, you'll likely need to check spark plug colour later.

The pilot screws are a fine tuning adjustment and is dependant on every other part of engine setup - compressions/ign timing/fuelling/exhaust etc so you should expect a difference between cylinders therefore a difference in pilot screw positions. A plug reading for pilot screw mixture is only accurate just above idle speed and before the other carb components come into play.

Just my tuppenceworth - glad you found the problem  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#25 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:47 am

glad you found the problem  :pimp:

Thank you Mr Warhol, still running well so I`ll just keep everything crossed until I can get it in for the MOT man to pick holes in it!!

#26 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:09 pm

Well here we bloody go again, Just when I thought that the running problem was sorted, the bike started running like a bag of shite again!  As it turns out I have found the culprit now - I think......   I have tested the fuel pump, have a good vacuum coming from the engine.  I gave it a good fuel supply and disconnected the output with a pipe into a jar, ran the engine, but there is no fuel passing out.  My question is - although Mr Haynes says no. Is it possible to refurb the fuel pump, or will I have to replace it,  Thanks in advance guys........... :good:

#27 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:48 pm

Why not run an extra wire and fit a leccy pump from a 4tx? Or even a facet or similar.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#28 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 June 2023 - 05:36 am

Will depend on what has pooped.

If ewe search arseytate it will find ewe some info.

If ewe search Polaris. The OEM pump is ed zackery the same unit as used by Polaris,..was dirt cheap to buy OEM 10 years ago, maybe not now.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#29 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 June 2023 - 07:15 am

There U Go  

Fuel Pump For Yamaha 4BR-13910-09-00 3LD-13910-00-00 XJ600 TDM850 Fuel Tank 680577574359 | eBay

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#30 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 June 2023 - 09:22 am

Me n Dablik bought a Chinese copy, think they were about £10 and worked fine. Aliexpress iirc.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#31 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 12:50 pm

Why not run an extra wire and fit a leccy pump from a 4tx? Or even a facet or similar.

I`m a bit of a wierdo about sticking as close to original as poss.

Will depend on what has pooped.

If ewe search arseytate it will find ewe some info.

If ewe search Polaris. The OEM pump is ed zackery the same unit as used by Polaris,..was dirt cheap to buy OEM 10 years ago, maybe not now.

Me n Dablik bought a Chinese copy, think they were about £10 and worked fine. Aliexpress iirc.

Thanks chaps,.Those that Rallyist sent the link for can be had for as little as £12.40 if you`re in no rush and can wait up to 2 weeks..  

Also thanks particularly for the heads up on the Polaris pump dapleb. That threw up a zillion options. They all look like Chinese copies and I found one on Amazon for £16, the bonus being it`ll be delivered today so the bike will be on the road for it`s first proper run tomorrow if it`s finally (hopefully) finished biting me on the arse.

I took the original pump to pieces to see if I could tell why it had failed and it looks like the diaphragm has hardened with age and dry storage, particularly where the spring loaded disc sits on it. Has anybody got a link to a suitable material as dapleb hinted at? I might have a go at trying to fix it . Never know if it`ll be a handy skill in  the future.

#32 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:20 am

You could try this or the Acetate sheet daps mentions, can you measure your old one, choosing the thickness might be key ? If you use your Google Fu you will find specific kits for mech pumps in general..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users