#1 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:41 pm

Hi All

My 900 has a hunting - sensation between 2500 & 3000 rpm. When i started it this morning it was running really rough, sounded like it would cut out at any second. As it warmed up a bit it seemed to settle down as normal. However riding it it hunts and is very jerky between 2500 & 3000. Above that it seems to rev alright but feels a bit down on power but seems to tick over ok

It was recently service by myself and the great Mr.Henty, having new plugs, air filter, airbox mod done, cold start mechanism cleaned and a Mr. Henty kit fitted, HT leads wrapped in self amagamating tape and new coolant.

It ran beautifully since up until today.

It had a new battery over the winter.

Any advice or pointers as to where to look would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Doggy

#2 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:08 pm

Might be worth having a look at the co settings on the dash. It has been known for them to reset to zero if the battery was a  bit low when turning the engine over to start. 

Attached File  Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 16.12.45.png   421.87KB   3 downloads

Edited by trevini, 03 May 2023 - 03:13 pm.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:16 pm

Might be worth having a look at the co settings on the dash. It has been known for them to reset to zero if the battery was a  bit low when turning the engine over to start. 

attachicon.gif Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 16.12.45.png

Or in the case of my blue 04, reset one side CO to -128 I think it was.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 May 2023 - 05:19 pm

Wouldn’t be that if it was running ok till today

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#5 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 05:44 pm

Could be if it did it when he went to start it Chris. Usually only happens if the battery is low on charge or knackered. It’s a new battery, so maybe just low if it’s been sitting a while since last run.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#6 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:35 pm

Rode it a couple of days ago and it was fine, battery has an optimate connected when not being used.

#7 MArk2

MArk2

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:33 pm

Revisit ht leads plug end i managed to dislodge one of mine pushing the cap back  

#8 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:38 am

Hi Guys

Just checked my co2 readings, engine cold, C1 25 & C2 11. Played with them, but didnt seem to make any difference.

Have set them both to 10 will take it for a spin and see if feels any different.

Should i readjust once warmed up?

Cheers

Doggy

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:21 am

Hi Guys

Just checked my co2 readings, engine cold, C1 25 & C2 11. Played with them, but didnt seem to make any difference.

Have set them both to 10 will take it for a spin and see if feels any different.

Should i readjust once warmed up?

Cheers

Doggy

I think if it makes no change and doesn't help you to find the problem then set them back to 25 and 11.

The adjustment is designed to fine tune the open loop low speed/low load mixture. When the throttle bodies are made they have slight differences due to manufacturing tolerances, not to mention, that in the airbox each throttle body has a different length rubber snorkel .

I would be surprised if under those conditions many bikes left the factory with both settings at the same value, due to the inherent differences between intakes, of each cylinder.

The better approach, imho, is where there is a difference between them to start off with, keep the difference the same by increasing both, or decreasing both, by  the same amount.

By all means adjust them, I find I got a smoother idle by increasing them both, but retain the units of difference to keep them balanced.

If it hasn't fixed the problem, anyway, I would go on to rechecking the ignition system again as mentioned above, but check the simple stuff too, such as vacuum hoses coming off the manifold. The vacuum pipe to the airbox flap is a good place to get a vacuum leak too

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 03:27 pm

Many thanks 👍

#11 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:37 pm

Poor idle - corrupted fuel? Inconsistent spark? Tank breather blocked?

#12 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:23 am

Hi All

Just taken it for its mot, it passed no advisories, but the problem appears to be intermittent.

From  cold its starts but is all over the place, then settles down to an even tick over. However on a run through town it is practically unrideable at times, surging and and dieing. then appears to be fine for a bit.

Help please, i have no idea where to start but i do need to get it sorted.

Cheers

Doggy

#13 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 May 2023 - 01:28 pm

Sounds like a check and clean of all electrical connectors may be in order, a corroded wire can be hard to spot and give intermittent issue like you describe so give them all a little tug as you go, a good looking wire may just came apart with a minor tug.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#14 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:22 pm

Is oil creamy? - perhaps caused by coolant ingress to combustion area that is inhibiting good sparking and correct air/petrol ratio?

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 12 May 2023 - 07:23 pm.

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 May 2023 - 06:44 pm

Lift the tank and have a good poke around, look for a RED wire from a connector block, has corroded on a few occasions, could be your problem...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 13 May 2023 - 06:48 pm

Having spoken to Mr H about this when I went to see him today he too thinks it will be the multi connector under the air box, or a dodgy connector somewhere, so its off with the plastics and up with the tank and pull them all apart and acf 50 or servisol contact cleaner and you should be sorted

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#17 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 10:31 am

Thanks Chris, will have a go tomorrow.

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:46 pm

Your welcome  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 09:11 pm

Thank you, red wire hunt starts tomorrow

#20 MArk2

MArk2

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 09:14 am

Thank you, red wire hunt starts tomorrow

The red wire lives on the big relay 5 EA-81950-10  its live to fuel pump.  Also try the red on the reg rec, known to corode. Best Mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users