#1 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:47 am

aggghh!!

dropped a bit of a clanger here - finally got the two into one quietened down sufficiently with a db killer - the pipe really makes a difference to the way the bike revs, i found myself hitting the rev limiter on a couple of occasions yesterday which i have never done before

all was good until i sat down and looked at the bike last night (you know that 'job well done', 'cake in hand' feeling) when i noticed how much higher the new pipe kicks up - this means that my Givi throwovers will be resting on the pipe on the right hand side agggh!!

this may be a daft question but just how hot does the can get? i am sure i have followed bikes with the pannier touching the pipe - but not really taken much notice - anybody else had this problem / any solutions?

i wanna go off to Wales this weekend but dont want to be depositing my smalls in a gooey plastic mess as i go!!

cheers,

stu
2002 TDM 900

Please dont tell my Mom I ride a TDM - she thinks I spend my weekends in a brothel

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:57 am

it will melt yer throw over so ya need to sort it asap.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Fernihough

Fernihough

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:02 am

Perhaps your temporary solution is here:
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/
Darwin theory in action - Natural evolution from 4 legs to 2, from 4 wheels to 2

Yam DTR125 / Yam TTR250 / Blue TDM900 2005

Fender extension; Right miror extension; Tutoro oiler; Frank Thomas leather Bullit Retro Jacket with Knox back protector for normal time and textile jacket with forcefield 4 for long trips, monolock plate with E45 GIVI top case, Michelin PR2

#4 roys

roys

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:09 am

sorry for being so daft but what does the following mean:

"....finally got the two into one quietened down sufficiently with a db killer - the pipe really makes a difference to the way the bike revs, i found myself hitting the rev limiter on a couple of occasions yesterday which i have never done before"

I am guessing that u made the 2 pipes into one using a single exhust? can u pls give pictures and or links where and how this can be purchased /done?

Has any segnificant weight been saved?

and why would this improve performance?

unsure.gif Roy

Edited by roys, 30 June 2010 - 09:10 am.

Thank you,
Roy
1987 K100 (2v)
2006 TDM 900

post-19792-0-23739400-1358674634_thumb.j

#5 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:11 am

He's changed his standard exhaust for a 2-1 system (single can instead of one either side), but it was noisy, so has used a decibel killer (DB Killer) to reduce the volume.

Something Like This

Edited by dmmsta, 30 June 2010 - 09:12 am.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:12 am

depends on the can dunno.gif
some do get hot, the more 'legal' they are often the cooler they are as theres more wadding to spread the heat

touch it with a carrier bag, if that melts then it will be hot enough to damage your panniers

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:43 am

Remember watchin Spud shed his pants and towel down a dual carriageway for the very same reason. laugh.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 roys

roys

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:49 am

QUOTE(dmmsta @ Wed 30th Jun 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's changed his standard exhaust for a 2-1 system (single can instead of one either side), but it was noisy, so has used a decibel killer (DB Killer) to reduce the volume.

Something Like This

tnx - I am very interested in how this 2-1 after market set up looks like - do u have any links for our bikes?

Thank you,
Roy
1987 K100 (2v)
2006 TDM 900

post-19792-0-23739400-1358674634_thumb.j

#9 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:05 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 30th Jun 2010, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
depends on the can dunno.gif
some do get hot, the more 'legal' they are often the cooler they are as theres more wadding to spread the heat

touch it with a carrier bag, if that melts then it will be hot enough to damage your panniers

ow ow ow ow ow!

no really - thats very hot and my hand hurts now - what a tit!

i think i have the answer - if its hot enough to cause this much pain then it will melt through my panniers

i let the bike run up until the fan kicked in so fairly hot - i have managed to hitch the panniers up by means of a bungee and by slinging two of the fasteners over the top of the seat not underneath it - this gives me a about 10 mm clearance above the pipe. The odd thing is that the highest point of the pipe (right where it is closest to the pannier) stays relatively cool. (hence me burning my hand - the difference in temperature a few mill down the pipe is incredible)

I will pop some pics on in a bit
2002 TDM 900

Please dont tell my Mom I ride a TDM - she thinks I spend my weekends in a brothel

#10 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:18 am

Edited by newstu, 30 June 2010 - 11:36 am.

2002 TDM 900

#11 Migs

Migs

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:25 am

Can you put some packing on the seat under the straps to raise the bags up a bit ? dunno.gif

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:30 am

still too close as the zorst gasses will toast it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 Migs

Migs

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:33 am

OK, bend the pipe down before the can and add a spacer at the mounting. tongue.gif

#14 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:51 am

QUOTE(Migs @ Wed 30th Jun 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, bend the pipe down before the can and add a spacer at the mounting. tongue.gif

im thinking along those lines - just figuring out how to do that now - there is a fair bit of "give" in the pipe and i could probably gain a few mill that way

not sure how the random pic got in there - wrong copy and paste that could been embarassing!!
2002 TDM 900

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:07 pm

Oid be more worried about melting that giant Malteser!!!

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:43 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 30th Jun 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
still too close as the zorst gasses will toast it.

wifgeni.gif
it will bounce up and down and melt

i used soldering heat matts to cover the bottom of my old set of panniers
but thats not as easy with soft luggage

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#17 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:36 pm

why not strap them onto the tail pack.

didn't someone on here have luggage fitted to the front of the bike, along side the fairings

Edited by Daveb, 30 June 2010 - 01:38 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:30 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 30th Jun 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wifgeni.gif
it will bounce up and down and melt

i used soldering heat matts to cover the bottom of my old set of panniers
but thats not as easy with soft luggage

I wonder if it's possible to strap the plumbers mat around the can, maybe use a large jubleeclip or 2 ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:52 am

just in case - i have made a sort of heatshield for the bottom of the pannier - a la Blue Peter stylee except the tape is foil tape that i use for acoustic baffles for work.

2002 TDM 900

#20 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:10 pm

QUOTE(newstu @ Wed 30th Jun 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aggghh!!

i wanna go off to Wales this weekend but dont want to be depositing my smalls in a gooey plastic mess as i go!!

cheers,

stu

Which part of this Lovelly country are you visiting? its going to be a good weekend down south well saturday http://news.bbc.co.u...er/forecast/380

found heatshield tape, not cheap

Thermal Velocity have integrated aerospace grade high temperature resistant fabrics with the latest coating and finishing technology to produce advanced easy to apply performance automotive heat shield tapes.

Heat Shield tapes are used in applications to protect painted surfaces, plastic parts or any other component from the damaging effects of radiant heat.

http://www.thermalve...CFY4A4wodRXBkvg

Edited by Daveb, 02 July 2010 - 12:14 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users