#2 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:12 pm

As long as you haven't overloaded it i'd be inclined to contact Givi with the photographic evidence and due to their size and reputation i'm sure they'll sort ya out David

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:24 pm

wifgeni.gif how much weight did you actually have in the box?

i decided the best way of mounting givi top plate was directly to the grab rail
especially if you are having panniers too, as all the weight goes thru that bottom mount on the grab rail when you use givi monorack arms and PL tubular size racks

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:26 pm

Blimey !

Have you had a pillion leaning on the topbox ?

Thing is, would you trust using a replacement one ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:51 pm

I think you have a component failure there.
I have carried 45 kilos on the top plate of a wingrack before now without any problems (only 50 motorway miles though).
The same rack took us around Europe for 6 months carrying 15 kilos in each side case (2x 45L) and a table 2 chairs and a 15 kilo tent across the top plate.
Generaly when calculating SWL it is set to 1/3 capacity of the destruction test.

#6 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:42 pm

Dude, that's bad news, I've got the same year bike and rack and I know I overload it, simply case only rates at 3kg, what frigging use is that!

Be interested to know more details about the failure....

#7 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:03 pm

I must admit to only noticing today. I only put things like lid and jacket in it when parked or if I do a trip it holds nothing more than clothes.

#8 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:36 pm

a couple of years ago, one of the lads in work his givi rail corroded quite badly, we had to shot blast them then use stoving paint to make them look decent. I think they must be using lower quality materials within the last few years.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:47 pm

isn't that Monorack meant to have the additional supports fitted which attach to the pillion footrests ????

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:27 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 22nd Aug 2010, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
isn't that Monorack meant to have the additional supports fitted which attach to the pillion footrests ????

Yes but they don't support anything back from where it's cracking.
Although they could cry "vibration". unsure.gif

#11 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:41 pm

what is it with Givi and corrosion ffs!

i sent some to the shotblasters and left them a coupla days - they were rusting already!

the gear looks good and the actual cases are ok but the metalwork lets it down!

that said - -show me an italian car that doesn't rust!
2002 TDM 900

Please dont tell my Mom I ride a TDM - she thinks I spend my weekends in a brothel

#12 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:51 am

QUOTE(newstu @ Sun 22nd Aug 2010, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is it with Givi and corrosion ffs!

i sent some to the shotblasters and left them a coupla days - they were rusting already!

the gear looks good and the actual cases are ok but the metalwork lets it down!

that said - -show me an italian car that doesn't rust!

Yep. Mandi's Givi rack on the GSR is rusting and it's also snapped a bolt on a brace bar. Replaced now.
They ain't as good as I first thought.

#13 Matt51F1

Matt51F1

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:15 am

Interesting that a Givi item has come up as I have just sent a query to the company to see if they will do a warranty fix on a T450 bag (The commuter/carry-on with collapsible handle).

I imported it from the USA last year because I couldn't find one here and now the collapsible handle has failed even though I would have used that bit maybe 4-5 times.

I will put this in a separate post though rather than hijack yours smile.gif

To be honest, I didn't know that Givi made the arms to suit the TDM. I picked up a Maxia topbox, mounting arms and plate from Lifeline ($95! WOO HOO!! smile.gif I dunno why someone would donate that - but they did smile.gif I modified the arms to bolt to brackets I made that came off the exhaust hangers/pillion pegs and the topbox sat on the grabrail plate with more brackets to stop it moving.

I've since picked up a set of wingracks and brackets that fit ??? so I will be cutting and welding them to suit the mounting points under the frame (in a far better place than going through the end of the grabrail as well!)

"A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!"

Additions: K&N Air Filter; Leo Vince slip-ons; Stebel Nautilus air horn; LED spotlights; Wiring control box for accessories & relays; Givi engine bars, rear rack & wing racks; Barkbusters.

Mods: LED headlight bulbs; 530-chain & only using Esjot sprockets; Airbox modification; Top Sellerie Seat + Tank protector; Bar-end mirrors + custom indicators.

185,000+ km (waiting for the day to crack the 200,000km)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users