24 replies to this topic

#1 Frajt

Frajt

Lost at Sea

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:16 pm

So my bike went away for the winter in late September and between one thing and another I forgot to put the Optimate on her. By mid December the bike was totally dead and the battery didn't want to take a charge so I resolved to splashing out on a new one.

A chat with ChrisR just before Xmas brought about a recommendation for a MotoBatt AGM replacement - ordered it after Xmas and for a variety of reasons only got round to fitting it a few days back. All seemed well - power restored for alarm, instrument lights, indicators etc. but pressing the starter didn't bring the expected results, rather a failure to turnover and a series of fast repetitive clicks , reset clock and instrument lights etc. Was mightily pissed off and convinced myself that it couldn't be the new battery - there must be another electrical fault.

Had to go away for work for a few days but today went to the garage to investigate further and decided to try a jump start. Connected the bike to the car battery (car not running) and the bike fired up first time.... ran sweetly for a good ten minutes. A number of repeat exercises proved the bIke starts every time when connected to the car but the new battery is not up to the job. I've not put a meter across it yet so have no readings to confirm what's actually happening and I'm no expert on things electrical anyway.......

So my question is ........ Does it all sound like a duff new battery or should I be looking for an underlying cause?
At risk of doing something exciting!

#2 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:26 pm

Sounds like the new battery could do with a good charging first.

#3 Frajt

Frajt

Lost at Sea

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:34 pm

Sounds like the new battery could do with a good charging first.

The MotoBatt claims to be ready to go out of the box and I had the Oximiser charger on it for the few days I was away..... shows 'maintain' mode rather than needing any bulk charging. I'm not sure I trust the Oximiser though.......

Edited by Frajt, 18 January 2014 - 10:38 pm.

#4 ssray

ssray

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:15 pm

you need to put a multi meter on the battery, it should have over 13volts static and when you press the starter it should go down to around 10volts and recover quickly It sounds like the battery is not very well, when you started it via the carbattery did you let it run than try and start from the bikes battery? Ray

#5 Frajt

Frajt

Lost at Sea

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:30 pm

..........when you started it via the carbattery did you let it run than try and start from the bikes battery?
Ray

I did let it run for a while but there was no obvious improvement in the bike battery condition / performance. Will try the multimeter tomorrow......

#6 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:16 am

Here's my guide to checking the basics.....hope it helps? :good:

http://www.carpe-tdm...topic=28570&hl=

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:04 am

It looks like your battery charger is faulty : instead of charging the battery, it discharged it !

(did I say that battery chargers are useless ?)

You should also check that the battery is really in good condition right out of the box...

(a good motorbike battery is able to jump start a car, I did that more than once)

top_640.png

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:46 am

Got the same battery and it was fine out of the box, i also had an oximiser that went tits up and replaced it with an optimizer, think there's an element of luck/bad luck with them bloody chargers.... dont forget to check battery voltage 1-2 hours after you have stopped charging for a more accurate reading Frajt.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:07 pm

Can you bring the battery clips to your car when it is traveling?
The car can charge the battery in 1-2 hours, even in the morning and in the evening 1/2 hour goes.
But do not leave the car with the small battery to the cigarette lighter.

Limbo
without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#10 ssray

ssray

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:38 am

Lidl have some posh battery chargers at the mo, around £14

#11 Frajt

Frajt

Lost at Sea

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:11 am

Thanks for everyone's input so far....... It seems the main suspect is the battery charger so I'll be getting a replacement later today.

I'm still suspicious of the new battery though as in theory this should have performed better "out of the box"!!

Results to follow...........

Edited by Frajt, 20 January 2014 - 05:28 am.

#12 Frajt

Frajt

Lost at Sea

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:40 am

UPDATE.........

First new battery = duff new battery!!
Second new battery = starts first time!!

Quite happy with the Supplier who agreed to an exchange straight away...... only minor grumble was that they said the replacement was sent on Tuesday 21st so I was panicking by Friday that it hadn't arrived...... Battery turns up on Saturday afternoon and it becomes obvious that it wasn't sent out until Friday 24th........ Grrrrrr

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:46 am

:badgerrock:  Glad you is sorted after the hassle.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:50 am

Unlucky with the new battery, least it's resolved, relief eh  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:38 am

Had a similar experience with a Motobatt battery last year.  Rang up a battery dealer, said I wanted a good quality battery, they recommended Motobatt.  Went and got the new battery (they aint cheap), whacked it in, very weak cranking, wouldn't fire the bike, battery showed 11.5 volts if I remember correctly.  Rang up the shop, they said it had showed the correct output when they checked it before I picked it up.  They were good about it, didn't quibble, dropped me out a new 'en and all good. 

Does make you wonder about Motobatt, although my friendly neighbourhood bike mechanic tells me he reckons they're good quality, and no trouble since (fingers crossed).    

#16 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:24 pm

Great brand !

Please remind me NOT to buy any ! :P

top_640.png

#17 Jacko575

Jacko575

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:46 pm

My 2008 9er is struggling to turn over my engine. I've measured the voltage & at rest, it's 12.6v, when I turn on the ignition (before cranking) it drops to 12v & cranking load was 10.4v (as best I could see!). Once running, it was 14.3v with minimal deviation...

I'm going to ride to Germany in beginning of May, is my bike asking (begging?) for a new battery?

#18 ssray

ssray

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:24 pm

should not get as low as that, sounds like a duff cell-new batt time

#19 Jacko575

Jacko575

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:58 am

should not get as low as that, sounds like a duff cell-new batt time

Thanks Ssray, I had pretty much come to that conclusion, but was kinda hoping I was wrong! I can't take any chances as I'll be running a satnav & charging my phone, etc., so new battery it is then... Thanks again for the help.

#20 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:10 am

buy a quality battery.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users