Guinness

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:32 pm

NOTICE : this was written by a EMS doctor

Sorry that this is a bit rough on the eyes. I've put these pics up on two other sites in hopes that at least a few riders might make the choice to wear some protective gear instead of zooming around in shorts and t-shirts.

I'm in the military, but for the past month I have been working as a ER doctor, treating motorcycle (and many other) injuries at the main trauma center in Seattle.

These are some of my patients. They have given me permission to post their pictures. There are no pictures of the riders that did not survive.

Patient #1 - thought it was cool to wear a little beanie type "helmet".
Low speed high side. The white you see is skull.
Multiple layer stitching to close him up. Head CT revealed skull fracture and a small inner brain bleed.

This gentleman came in pretty scuffed up As the pics show he had a complete, open dislocation of his tib/fib ankle joint after he went skidding along the road. He was stopped by some sort of wall/barrier while still road surfing at high speed -- ouch
He was wearing ankle high heavy hiking boots - just like mine
New boots arrive soon

We reduced his ankle in the ER - Pain pain pain!
Think of these pics when you wonder if the gear is really worth the money.

TL1000, hit a patch of something in a corner.<BR>Let's start from the head and work our way down....
Good thing he had a helmet -- he probably would have died without it.

Shoulders,
Well, they don't need skin now do they.
Too bad we couldn't peel him off the sheets to give you a pic of his back - <B>no skin left</B>

That dark spot on the shoulder, not dirt, just roadrash plus burn - I know it doesn't look it but it was some of the worst road rash out on him.
It just keeps going...

Both sides looked the same.
A little of his hip skid can be seen.
He went to the burn unit for cleaning up.
You think the accident hurts, wait till you have full body road rash scrubbed out.

Two brothers, one 18 and the other 16. Riding on the older brother's NEW 2002 R6 (2 days old - his 1st bike :roll: )
Lowside at 50-60mph.

This is a closeup of the above hand, knuckles are on the right side.

His elbow

Older brother's elbow

Older brother's arm.

Be careful out there!
And for those of you considering an R6 as a 1st bike, see above.

Dan

BTW - As you look at these, let this run through your mind, about an hour and a half per kid to get them scrubbed out - painful even under the influence of those good hospital drugs.
:shock: They will be back for a few more cleanings, suture removal and possible skin grafts.

Still not convinced?
And our next model is wearing designer jeans, haltertop, and almost new Pumas. And by the look of his head : a good helmet.

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:22 pm

I wear (ulp) puke.gif pro (muah) puke.gif protectiv (gag)puke.gif protective gear (blaaaaah)puke.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:13 pm

Great post

I see all this and a lot more (as I'm sure the EMS Dr does too). Unfortunately I have lost count of the amount of dead and seriously injured bikers I have dealt with over the years.

If your post causes one person to think before riding without proper gear on then it was well worth it. good.gif
www.myspace.com/andyrothers

#4 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:45 am

yes let's get enough people to volunterrily wear lots of protective clothing and then once they do, it can become law, then another bit of freedom will be gone along with a hefty wad of cash for the clothing, which then the safety authorities will get the idea that it all needs to be replaced every year or so, as the seams will have become a bit weakened and the manufacturers will probably put prices up aswell seeing as by law we'll have to buy it, and what with insurances and tax, fuel and spare parts prices, it could all get too expensive to ride a bike at all
I know I always seem anti protection but in fact I'm not, it's just that the people who do not ride bikes and who want biking banned for whatever reasons, look through motorcycle media magazines and websites to see what's going on, and for them to see 'us' telling 'ourselves' what to wear for our own good and pointing out to 'ourselves' how dangerous riding a bike is, well it just gives them ammunition to use against us for their own biggotted ends, and yes it is also a very good point for people to see we are being a responsible bunch by encouraging other riders new or old to be safe, but that is ignored by the biggotted few who are able to make their voices heard, bikers on the other hand have to sit very high up on the list of apathy, doing nothing but moaning to each other each time someone or something threatens our freedom and choice.
I have come off a bike while wearing just t-shirt and jeans at 35mph, and yes it hurt like hell, I've also turned my left ankle joint inside out when off-roading while wearing only trainers, I only knew it was broken as I stood up and poked my exposed bone into some gravel which was quite puke inducing, I have now lost my left ankle joint for good but I still ride with my ankle high work boots, jeans and if it is very hot, a t-shirt.
I hope the message of wearing safety clothing gets through to people who do not realise how vulnerable they are but by the same sentence I hope it doesn't have an adverse affect on motorcycling.
Maybe we should all wear very stout clothing and hard hats when we go to shopping centres because they have been known to collapse on people.

Edited by laughin in a windstorm, 10 July 2006 - 06:03 am.

it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#5 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:23 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Mon 10th Jul 2006, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-//-
I hope the message of wearing safety clothing gets through to people who do not realise how vulnerable they are but by the same sentence I hope it doesn't have an adverse affect on motorcycling.
agree totally.
would you go ride without a helmet if it werent compulsory?

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Mon 10th Jul 2006, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe we should all wear very stout clothing and hard hats when we go to shopping centres because they have been known to collapse on people.
or the roofs of indoor swimming pools ... built in russia...

i sense some bitterness... understandably, the only time i get REALLY pissed off if something goes wrong is when its my own fault and i should have know better.
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#6 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:27 am

I feel a reply coming.... tongue.gif

Bottom line, we are exposed... dress accordingly. Most injuries in street riding come from having your forwrd motion stopped by something hard (look for soft armour or other padding), on the track it's sliding, look for leather (goatskin is the most durable I hear.)

I have seen guys on sportbikes in no shirt, shorts, and freakin flip-flops!
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#7 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:53 am

QUOTE(Guinness @ Mon 10th Jul 2006, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agree totally.

yes in certain conditions, ie. it's very warm and I'm only doing a shortish journey, my riding is more sedate when I feel vulnerable and I take more in of what is around me.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:59 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 10th Jul 2006, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have seen guys on sportbikes in no shirt, shorts, and freakin flip-flops!

i cringe everytime i see that.

i would like to see this kind of thing on the CBT days and as part of the test as i dont believe a significant number of riders appreciate the dangers.
obviously liaw has seen and experienced the consequences, so if he chooses to ride unprotected i see no problem, its his choice.
however, its the kids on scooters who ride like nutters who i have the problem with, they havent yet come off so they dont know the consequences or dont believe it will happen to them.

i would fight any compulsory requirement to wear protective gear as its the person riding who is responsible for their own safety.

besides the legal requirements i always wear jacket, gloves. if i'm on the motorway then full leathers is a must to me. if i'm out about in town then draggin jeans is my normal attire.
i also frequently wear a hiviz (as those on RTT saw), but again, thats personal preference, i would fight any legal requirement.

</rant>
</2centworth>

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#9 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:19 am

QUOTE(Guinness @ Mon 10th Jul 2006, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The brains that govern the commonwealth of pennsylvania actually repealed our mandatory helmet law.
caveat: with 2 years experience or passing an approved safety course....

But how does the police officer tell who has 2 years and who doesn't? hmmmm?
The only time I have ridden without a helmet is taking the bike around the block to the garage.

Besides I look like a bad mo-fo in a black leather jacket with a dark visor. cool.gif
"Hide the kids Maw! Here comes That Damn Motorcycle!"
Posted Image

£

#10 Difflock

Difflock

really likes Carpe

• 90 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:43 pm

You know, I'd never actually thought about the side of the argument l.i.a.w put forward. Nicely done sir!. Yes, the nanny state is out to get us - look at all the REAL firearms attacks and knife attacks which still go on and Tony's cronies want to ban toy guns as part of the Violent Crime reduction Bill (sorry, that's my other airsoft-biased ranting soap box!)

Back on to the topic of carnage - I'm glad I had chosen a full-face helmet for my biking attire when I threw my TDM down the road a while back (40 mph or so I think, low-side). If it weren't for my ARAI, I reckon the side of my face and my chin would have been messy.

I would not relish a compulsory, big-brother style law dictating to us a specific type of protective gear. I want the freedom to choose, but crosser boots, leather jeans (armoured), leather jacket (armoured) and a metallic black Arai do give me an air of intimidation. Alright, go on, I reckon they make me look like a reet hard bastard! biggrin.gif Just need to convince the missus about me getting a black visor... (another can of worms I know..)

Diff.
It isn't how fast you ride, It's how you ride fast..

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:35 pm

Irrespective of clothing, another common injury, I gather, is broken wrist nerves caused by a natural tendency to hang on to the bars too long when flipped over the top? Maybe worth keeping in mind to let go if you can?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#12 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:32 am

I've never ridden without a helmet, and at least twice glad I had it because I lived. I almost always wear gloves and jacket and shoes (which is difficult because I live in sandals from March to November around here). I have on very rare occasions ridden in shorts - mostly because it's hot and I'm just going a short ways on surface streets. I figure I can go 30 mph on a push bike in shorts, so similar speed on bike isn't going to hurt much worse, right?

The kit I've got now is much better than any I've had in the past. I still don't wear armored leather or textile pants with any regularity. Jeans won't hold up in a high speed crash, I know, but both of my previous crashes they did ok. Not to endorse them, just to point out it's not always necessary to fork out a lot of cash just to ride. One of the reasons a lot of us do ride is because it's more economical than a car (I didn't even own a car until I was 28).

So, am I taking a risk? Yeah, but it's also a calculated risk. I can't always control what the other guy is doing, but I can control what I'm doing and ride well within my skill level, and ride defensively. Someone said ride up to 9/10ths of your ability -- fark that. That may be ok on the track where conditions are controlled, but out in the real world it leaves only 1/10th to any number of unexpected hazards to challenge only 1/10th of what you've got left as a margin of error. Ride to survive.

I've also had a very serious (2nd and 3rd) degree burn, and I kid you not, it is the most painful, searing pain you've ever felt and it keeps hurting not for hours but for days.
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#13 mr grumpy 2

mr grumpy 2

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:29 am

if i had not been dressed in correct bike kit when i had my little meeting with the front of a taxi, i am sure i would have broken bones.

being thrown over the front of the car, i believe it was the armour in the jacket and trousers that saved me from even more serious injury.

this accident was only at 20mph

i always wear the right clothing on the bike. ok i may get hot from time to time, but the alternative if something goes wrong........

but it did help me that none of the people at the scene tried to move me or remove my helmet. they left me alone until the paramedics arrived.

#14 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:24 am

Some interesting arguments here - freedom and personal responsibility versus nanny/fascist state. I read the other day that every year in the UK 10,000 people die because medical drugs are wrongly prescribed. I nearly fell off my chair! Can you imagine if bikers killed 10,000 people every year while just trying to help? (Any medics out there?)

I am all for personal responsibility, but I'm old enough to know better. In the 70's surgeons used to do lots of amputations on bikers. This was not because the bones couldn't get pinned (look at Barry Sheene), it was because an open fracture (ie the bone is sticking out al-fresco like) easily got infected by soil, road debris etc and once infection gets into bone its nearly impossible to fix. Leathers hold you together quite literally, the abrasion resistance is a bonus. I'll happily sweat in summer! good.gif

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:13 am

QUOTE(darcym @ Fri 21st Jul 2006, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never ridden without a helmet, and at least twice glad I had it because I lived. I almost always wear gloves and jacket and shoes (which is difficult because I live in sandals from March to November around here). I have on very rare occasions ridden in shorts - mostly because it's hot and I'm just going a short ways on surface streets. I figure I can go 30 mph on a push bike in shorts, so similar speed on bike isn't going to hurt much worse, right?

The kit I've got now is much better than any I've had in the past. I still don't wear armored leather or textile pants with any regularity. Jeans won't hold up in a high speed crash, I know, but both of my previous crashes they did ok. Not to endorse them, just to point out it's not always necessary to fork out a lot of cash just to ride. One of the reasons a lot of us do ride is because it's more economical than a car (I didn't even own a car until I was 28).

So, am I taking a risk? Yeah, but it's also a calculated risk. I can't always control what the other guy is doing, but I can control what I'm doing and ride well within my skill level, and ride defensively. Someone said ride up to 9/10ths of your ability -- fark that. That may be ok on the track where conditions are controlled, but out in the real world it leaves only 1/10th to any number of unexpected hazards to challenge only 1/10th of what you've got left as a margin of error. Ride to survive.

I've also had a very serious (2nd and 3rd) degree burn, and I kid you not, it is the most painful, searing pain you've ever felt and it keeps hurting not for hours but for days.

yuk !!! isn't a 3rd degree burn literally where all the surrounding flesh is burnt away to the bone ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:56 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 21st Jul 2006, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yuk !!! isn't a 3rd degree burn literally where all the surrounding flesh is burnt away to the bone ??

Bit loike the food on me BBQ then smile.gif

#17 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:39 pm

actually, if I remember correctly, 1st degree burns are redness but no blisters, 2nd degree burns are where blisters occur and up to the loss of top layer of skin, 3rd degree burns are any time the skin is damaged down past the epidermis (deep tissue burn).

Blackened is cajun style burns.
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#18 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:53 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Mon 10th Jul 2006, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes in certain conditions, ie. it's very warm and I'm only doing a shortish journey, my riding is more sedate when I feel vulnerable and I take more in of what is around me.

when its been very warm and dry for a while the roads get slippery
even at 50kmh hard braking on a less then perfect road can cause a drop
when its very warm drivers and riders get more careless, just wanna get moving or get home to get out of that hot car.
when its very warm they'll have more then "the one" beer before heading home.

good that YOU adapt YOUR riding style when you are wearing less protective gear.
but the twat in the cage might still cut you off / back out of the driveway / forget to turn on indicators / or generally do whatever stupidity that generates "i didnt see him"

when injured/handicapped/dead its not just your life that gets messed up. sad.gif
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

get them here

#19 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:36 pm

Fri 21st G confesses to riding like a twat, only concerned about speedcameras.
Sat 22nd G reminds us that the twat in the cage may still get us even if we ride more safely with less protective gear.
Conscience getting the better of you, G? rolleyes.gif
The twat in the cage may still get us if we ride like a twat whatever we wear tongue.gif

QUOTE(Difflock @ Fri 21st Jul 2006, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rode like a complete and utter twat to get to work this morning.. ranting.gif Using all 4 lanes of the M6
Sorry..
Maybe I'll give the keys away before I get caught or die....

Bikes make people do bad stuff...
Diff. on a guilt trip.

QUOTE(Guinness @ Fri 21st Jul 2006, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

on the way home from RTT, bondy (see a pattern starting) & me did the same on the way to bondys place ...
nice to know UK plod arent allowed to setup hidden speedcams in unmarked vehicles ...

QUOTE(Guinness @ Sat 22nd Jul 2006, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when its been very warm and dry for a while the roads get slippery
even at 50kmh hard braking on a less then perfect road can cause a drop
when its very warm drivers and riders get more careless, just wanna get moving or get home to get out of that hot car.
when its very warm they'll have more then "the one" beer before heading home.

good that YOU adapt YOUR riding style when you are wearing less protective gear.
but the twat in the cage might still cut you off / back out of the driveway / forget to turn on indicators / or generally do whatever stupidity that generates "i didnt see him"

when injured/handicapped/dead its not just your life that gets messed up. sad.gif

Stu

#20 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:02 pm

red helmet, lights on, hiviz vest : trying to get better ods

"twat" as in 140kmh on open dualcarriage ... smile.gif anything faster and i got bit of a wobble (2up with 3panniers)
and still we got overtaken blink.gif

confession : didnt get a backprotector till AFTER the RTT06
its actually cooler then the thin foam "shield" that came with the jacket.

get them here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users