#1 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:17 am

Does any body use it on their visor? blink.gif

Someone recommended it to me but it says don't use on plastic or coated surfaces. dry.gif

#2 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:53 am

QUOTE(David H @ Wed 9th Aug 2006, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does any body use it on their visor? blink.gif

Someone recommended it to me but it says don't use on plastic or coated surfaces. dry.gif

I've been nervous, too. May sneak an old visor into Helllfords or whoever and do a "spot test".

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#3 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:20 am

I thought it was formulated for (perspex) aircraft windows - so presumably would be fine.
However, when I used furniture polish on a Bob Heath visor in the (distant) past, there was an eventual seperation of the coating in places.

Not that that is releveant to you Q unsure.gif

Stu

#4 Jason

Jason

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:51 am

I have used rain-x on my visors for nearly eight years without problems - excellent stuff. The bottle I bought was also yellow but it was specifically for bike visors so I don't know if there is any difference between the products. Mine says it can also be used on car windscreens etc so I think it is probably all the same stuff.

(Also Demon Tweaks market the same stuff as in your piccy for visors...)

Jason

#5 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:02 am

If you go to the bike shows theres usually a "very enthusiastic" person trying to flog it
ive been tempted to get some but i dont ride in rain so perhaps id be wasting me time

#6 Difflock

Difflock

really likes Carpe

• 90 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:13 pm

Works great on the rear screen and side windows of my Trans Am, but I too am nervous about putting it on my visor..

Diff.
It isn't how fast you ride, It's how you ride fast..

#7 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:13 pm

I've used it on visors and windscreens as well as the windshield on my truck. Great stuff, really. Rode in a light mist rain the other weekend and it really kept my having to wipe the visor to a minimum. Water sheets off nicely. You do have to re-apply it if you spend a lot of time in the wet, though.
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#8 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:24 pm

I'll try it on my old lid when I go to work tonight, the visor isn't coated so I may be defeating the object of the test. huh.gif

#9 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:23 pm

used it many years ago on a car's windshield, I think its alcohol based. great in light rain, smudged in heavy rain. never used it again.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#10 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:12 am

I use car body wax like 'turtle wax' on my visor, when it rains the water just beads away with the windflow, if any droplets stay where they are you just have to turn your head slightly and the wind then takes it away, I don't feel the need to wipe my visor very much at all, it's usually only needed when the filthy oily spray from a stinking great big lorry comes at you, I use the wax treatment to get rid of stubborn dried on flies too.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#11 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:28 am

QUOTE(David H @ Wed 9th Aug 2006, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll try it on my old lid when I go to work tonight, the visor isn't coated so I may be defeating the object of the test. huh.gif

Well sods law, it didn't rain. hidden.gif Maybe that's the answer. yeahbaby.gif

I have used turtle wax in the past to good effect in proper rain, but in fine, barely raining type rain, the water used to stay put. notfunny.gif

#12 Sven

Sven

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:01 pm

I've used rain-x for the last 2 years: no bad side effects in any weather, and a big improvement in reducing 'sticky rain effect' on the visor.

Keep it - you'll need it one day soon ...

#13 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:33 pm

I've been using exactly the same one in the picture on my visor for years. Tried it once on the the car windscreen and it was great until the rain got heavy enough for me to need the wipers, and then made a hell of a mess. On the visor though it's great, just turn your head slightly to the side and all the rain blows off.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:41 am

i've used it and it does work great

except at low speeds
except with drizzle or the spray from the vehicle in front of you

you get thousands of little dropplets STICKING on your visor. they dont drip off
jerking yer head to one side or a sturdy nod helps a bit.
it needs riding speed at about 80-90kmh and it works better with big drops.

its HORRIBLE in fog ...
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#15 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:36 pm

If you want to give it a good test just treat one side of the visor.
Then if the rain is light or heavy you can make a comparison (and you will still have one good side).
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#16 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:19 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sat 12th Aug 2006, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to give it a good test just treat one side of the visor.
Then if the rain is light or heavy you can make a comparison (and you will still have one good side).

Ah, there's that cultural difference again, in assuming evenly-distributed, well-behaved American rain. Real Scottish rain hurls in horizontally from one side, so you'd have to make a return trip for such a test, and with the cost of fuel as it is over here..... jester2.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:17 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 13th Aug 2006, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, there's that cultural difference again, in assuming evenly-distributed, well-behaved American rain. Real Scottish rain hurls in horizontally from one side, so you'd have to make a return trip for such a test, and with the cost of fuel as it is over here..... jester2.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:20 pm

Well it rained all day until............

I got my bike out. huh.gif

Anyway todays test concludes that rain-x is good at catching flies and spray from HGVs. good.gif

Maybe it'll rain tomorrow? rolleyes.gif

#19 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:51 am

it was pouring down yesterday, so i gave it a go , on the rolling road in the garage.. works perfectly
even though i only put it on my visor , it kept the leathers and everything dry the bike never even got a spot on it , i only got wet when i got off the bike and exited the garage and walked back into the hoose

so it works good.gif

#20 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:09 pm

QUOTE(Nosaj @ Mon 14th Aug 2006, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it was pouring down yesterday, so i gave it a go , on the rolling road in the garage.. works perfectly
even though i only put it on my visor , it kept the leathers and everything dry the bike never even got a spot on it , i only got wet when i got off the bike and exited the garage and walked back into the hoose

so it works good.gif

huh.gif ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users