#1 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:43 pm

Well , this is what happened to me on Sunday

Spent the morning changing the coolant and fitting my new handguards ( thanks Cobi ) and my new renthal engine bars I got in the recent group buy. This concluded the preparation for my forthcoming Scotland trip.

So,  a steady ride to the petrol station to fill up, and then check for coolant leaks.

Setting off from the lights to turn right onto a duel carriage way I was T-boned by a car coming through on red,

l was thrown into the air hitting first the cars screen , the bonnet, then the tarmac .I rolled for quite a while and came to rest facing the car that had hit me.

A first aider and an off duty police man held me still while the ambulance arrived. l was fully conscious, the car that hit me had a smashed windscreen  bent bonnet, smashed headlight  and the bumper hanging off,   a proper mess.

I was collared up  strapped to a board and ambulanced to A&E  ,the trauma unit.

I had my bike gear and shirt cut away by nurses , and connected by wires to machines

A doctor poked prodded and stroked me

After an hours observation l was discharged and allowed to go home in a taxi wearing a borrowed hospital gown , carrying my cut up bike gear and smashed up helmet.

I was bruised and sore with a few grazes,   the hospital staff were expecting me to have broken bones at the very least and l had left without even an asprin.

Yesterday, l saw my poor bike for the first time. The right side was the worst, the engine bars had taken the impact . The engine bars that l  had fitted just hours before had saved me from serious injury, possibly worse

So,  a BIG THANKYOU to Renthal,               also Shark helmets  and Hein Gerrick

#2 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:12 pm

Kin ell matey. Glad you're ok.

#3 cobi

cobi

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:28 pm

Pleased to hear you are okay Phil. Sounds like you wre lucky to come out of it with only bumps and bruises. The bike and gear can be replaced or repaired.

I am guessing your trip to Scotland has been ruined which is a shame as its a beautiful place for a bike trip?

Take care.

Cobi

#4 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:45 pm

Thanks

The handguards polished up a treat and l'd cut down the clutch lever a bit to stop it catching.
Yes shame about Scotland trip, a mate offered to lend me his super ten, but l'm a bit stiff and sore at the moment for a long ride. and to honest it wouldn't be the same
l've had the 850 for nearly 15yrs Gutted

#5 cobi

cobi

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:04 pm

15 yrs is a long time and I can understand why you are gutted.

Gather as much info as you can for insurance purposes. Photographs and keeping a diary will help. Hopfully you get a decent payout to replace the bike and gear. Then Scotland will be waiting for you!

#6 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:33 pm

'kin ell matey! :shocked:

At least you're OK though, that's the most important thing.

Bikes can be rebuilt easier than humans.

Good luck with all the fannying about you'll have to do now with insurance etc.

Are they going to prosecute the driver? That'll sort out the insurance claim, (I'd have thought).

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#7 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:42 am

Hi filo!

Good to know, you only had bruises and a sore body.
I hope you have a good recovery. :drinks:  :good: 
As for his faithful squire 15 years, a few pounds, patience and dedication make miracle.
Shoot(photos) your bike and the engine protective equipment and send it to Renthal as feed back.

Report your accident and what you think of the equipment.
Report also to the helmet manufacturer.
Who knows, you do not get a new one?

Cheers

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#8 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:47 am

Thanks guys, that's good advice.
The police investigation is on going, they have a few witnesses, whom they spoke to at the scene. The concencus being that the driver was well over the speed limit.as he drove through on red
It was a young lad driving someone else's fiesta

The bike is in a real mess , a sad moment for me was after the lads manhandled it into the shed.
I turned the ignition the little green light came to life on the panel dangling down and despite what its just gone through the engine started on the button

#9 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:54 am

"It was a young lad driving someone else's fiesta"

Hope the little shit is insured. :angry:

Glad to here you're well other than the obligatory bumps n bruises.

Bet you fix the bike.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:48 am

Glad to hear you're ok Filo, best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

I'm over in Worksop so gimme a shout if ya need a hand with any bike fettlin'. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:29 am

Good to hear you made it without serious injury ! 

Kind of thinking "When will it be my turn ?", reminded that it's not a game going on.....

Hope insurance will get you back on the road soon !

Bjørge

#12 Scurve

Scurve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:34 am

Glad your ok,

Make sure you go back for a check up in a weeks time just to be sure nothings happened, the body is a complicated thing.

Hope you manage to get the bike rebuilt.

Scurve

#13 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:49 am

Very sorry you have gone through all that. Good news at least it seems you should mend soon, if not the bike.  All that care we take of our bikes (and ourselves ) and then some contrary idiot appears on the scene. Best wishes for getting both you and the bike going soon.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#14 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:36 am

Ouch.  Glad to hear you're ok

For future reference there's no real need to test new bike mods quite so soon or quite as rigorously. :D

I'd be tempted to send a photo to Renthal, quite a few companies websites have a customer testimonials section.

Edited by ChrisG, 15 May 2015 - 09:37 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:43 am

Jesus filo, i think you were very lucky from your description of the accident, hope you recover quickly fella, i know it's gutting that your bike is wrecked but at least your okay  :good:

Fix her up, gotta be in love still after 15 years  :wub:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:09 am

Potentially very nasty. Glad you weren't seriously injured.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#17 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:12 am

Wow, that sounds nasty, glad you're not damaged. As others have said, everything else can be replaced.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#18 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:46 pm

Thanks guys for your kind words and comments

with bent forks, swinging arm and frame its probably bit more of a job than l would want to take on at the moment.

l would love to see it resurrected, a nice project for someone with a bit more time on their hands than l have perhaps?

but who knows? maybe?Attached File  20150513_1316521.jpg   159.11KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20140414_1717322.jpg   249.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20150513_1316111.jpg   200.33KB   0 downloads

#19 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:07 pm

Extremely lucky there Filo - shame about the bike though  ( mental note to fit my Rentals)

Was just telling the CMC lot, same happened to me in Leicester on Friday - I was stationary in traffic on my GSA, & someone came out of a side street

Thought he's seen me, but the twat kept on coming & knocked me off  - then fucked off whilst I was picking myself & my bike up from the middle of the road.  :rant:

Loads of traffic around me, but they'd all fecked off as well ........luckily the only damage done was a scratch on my crash bars, & I had to straighten the steering up a bit when I got home.

If I was you, I'd keep the bike though - frame will be knackered, but there's plenty of Mk2 rolling chassis about where people have blown the engine up - and you have a good engine   ;)

Edited by sidestand, 17 May 2015 - 02:10 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#20 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:46 pm

Extremely lucky there Filo - shame about the bike though  ( mental note to fit my Rentals)

Was just telling the CMC lot, same happened to me in Leicester on Friday - I was stationary in traffic on my GSA, & someone came out of a side street

Thought he's seen me, but the twat kept on coming & knocked me off  - then fucked off whilst I was picking myself & my bike up from the middle of the road.  :rant:

Loads of traffic around me, but they'd all fecked off as well ........luckily the only damage done was a scratch on my crash bars, & I had to straighten the steering up a bit when I got home.

If I was you, I'd keep the bike though - frame will be knackered, but there's plenty of Mk2 rolling chassis about where people have blown the engine up - and you have a good engine   ;)

That sounds like an instance when an helmet mounted, action cam potentially comes in so useful. Not just for you, but to get a conviction for the hit and run. Glad you're alright too.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users