#21 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:32 pm

Good luck with your project. I've always loved those Yamaha triples. It'll be great to see the finished product.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#22 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:38 pm

Lew, as you asked.

this is who I work for www.caigauge.com we as a company manufacture Smiths instruments. plus we make all sorts of gauges for sports cars, commercial vehicles etc etc. we are also can produce digital printing for gauges.

the other company who shares our factory is www.speedycable.com. these are more customisation of gauges plus one of our distribitors.

here is a photo of our Smiths electronic motorcycle speedo and tacho on the SRM classic bike web site, http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/

Best thing is to have a look on th eweb sites shown above.

ps sorry for the Shameful advertising hidden.gif

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#23 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:07 pm

The older ones like that also had a gearbox weakness - maybe worthwhile checking that out before you do some serious work. This is the lower revving model - 7k I think. It also had a rectifier issue if memory serves. I had on of these and the newer one as well. I don't think I've any parts left but if I find any I'll pm.

Good luck with the project it'll be a real labour of love!

#24 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:54 pm

QUOTE(TKH @ Tue 8th Nov 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The older ones like that also had a gearbox weakness - maybe worthwhile checking that out before you do some serious work. This is the lower revving model - 7k I think. It also had a rectifier issue if memory serves. I had on of these and the newer one as well. I don't think I've any parts left but if I find any I'll pm.

There is actually quite a lot that goes wrong with these; the 850s are more sturdy. I had one of those in the eighties, bought as a clean used one. It was fairly useful but also very unexciting. Mine suffered a rather fatal end-drive issue (in the same spectacular style as my nearly new '93 BMW R1100RS would fail), I found it too uninspiring to fix and sold it for spares. It might work well as a "special" though, anything you change will no doubt make it more interesting. laugh.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#25 NZTDMGUY

NZTDMGUY

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:52 am

Get the gears undercut as per the instructions on the Triples forum. Costs buggerall and solves the shifting problem. Very easy to get at the gear as it is on the outside of the spline and you will have that area partially disassembled as well.

I took mine apart down to nuts and bolts almost, it spread out over 5 meters of bench, cleaned everything, checked all tolerance and put it back together. Stripped and cleaned the carbs, replaced the petcock (still have about 10 of them) and filled it with fuel. Started within 5 minutes and ran like a dream until the dickhead I sold it too in a weak moment smashed it to bits.

I have always found it easier to disassemble right from the start rather than try to work backwards from broken bits.

Here in NZ they are a bit collectible so it would be unlikely that it would get turned into anything other than a stocker here.

Enjoy the project and the bike when done.
2008 TDM900 in lovely red
Scorpion cans
Power Commander (under review)

#26 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:32 pm

Daveb - Looks very interesting, im thinking of carrying a tripple theme, so may end up with three clocks. Ill maybe send some enquiries to your company in the future.

TKH - cheers for tha, Im aware of gearing issues, not read into it much yet but its one of the many things to add to the list wink.gif

robelst - Thats inspiring for me ! haha. Although, once i get started on something, i will finish it, even if it takes many years biggrin.gif I never give up

NZTDMGUY - Cheers for that, i did consider making it a stocker, but it would take twice as long and no doubt cost twice as much !

Just a quick update,

Not really much gone on since I got the bike. Gave her a good clean, Put some oil down the spark plug holes and turned her over the next day (very smoothly) I also found out there’s some bits missing, pretty much all of the ignition circuit and various electrics, calliper brackets and air filter assembly. I managed to find a genuine tank which cost me £65 i didn’t really want to spend this month but i think it'll suit the cafe racer and if not I can probs sell it for more.

Also found out the carbs were from an 850 not a 750, so rather than have difficulty when it comes to setting them up i got a set of 750 carbs of a bloke off the XS forum. They need rebuilding so kits are on their way from America and should be here any day.

Once the carbs are done I’ll begin gathering parts and putting together an ignition circuit so I can start her up.

Cheers
Lew wink.gif

#27 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:32 pm

no probsd Lew, I can also point you to a cable supplier (custom made) clutch cable, speedo cable etc.....

Edited by Daveb, 24 November 2011 - 06:58 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#28 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:08 am

Sounds good to me wink.gif

I'm gathering as much information as possible at the moment, Also with a speadsheet of everyone who's helped me and given advice and comments biggrin.gif at the end i plan to do a video or a full blog or something. including al the thanks biggrin.gif

#29 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:02 pm

You can view the parts fiches/files on CMSNL.

http://www.cmsnl.com...8628/partslist/

No need to use my full name in your thanks list, Studders will be fine ! biggrin.gif

Thought you might have tried NRPCarbs for the carb kits unsure.gif

Nowt stoppin' you starting a blog now is there Lew ? Be mush easier to keep on top of it now, than trying to remember what ya did a year or 6 ago. Plus you'll have loadsa reference piccies to hand.

We loike piccies an' cake eating.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#30 MArk2

MArk2

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:18 am

deox c

Highly recomended. Mark.

#31 slartybartfarst

slartybartfarst

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:20 am

Yamaha? Seventies? Kenny Roberts? Wot like this one?

Any bike in that condition is a moneypit. To get my XS to the condition it's in now cost at lot of money, far more than it's worth and more than I paid for my TDM, nearly twice as much! XS750s? Well I was offered a very tidy runner last year for nothing... An old boy, he was a neighbour of my mate. who'd loved it but had garaged it a few years before and finally admitted he'd never ride again. Ran it up regularly, tried to sell it no interest. I'd have had it but it was in West London and I'm not.

Seriously use it for spares and at least buy an intact runner to do up. They're not loved, There's little or no spares back-up save what Yamaha have left at Yamaha prices. The problem with customising any bike is that they need to be really well done or they just look.... err a bit crap. And to getting one done well costs, the polishing alone on mine cost hundreds.

Sorry to be a nay sayer but if there's one half finished project bike out there there are thousands which have had hundreds of of pounds spent on them and are no nearer the road. I've restored a few bikes and not one of them was an easy birth - its just the way it is.

Chris
Honda CB100N, BSA C15G, Honda 400/4, Kawka Z250, BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler, Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1, Suzuki GP100, BSA B44 Special, Ducati Pantah 500, Yamaha XS 650 Flat tracker, TDM 900.

#32 gschwall

gschwall

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 59 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:50 am

Lewis,
I've always liked the Yamaha triples. What ignition bits do you need? I have some remnants from an XS750 project along with some experience with the second gear issue. Send me a PM with your needs.
Cheers
Greg

#33 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:59 pm

Studley Ramrod - Cheers for the link, I've been looking aroudn various Fische sights and not been able to find my bike, that's brill biggrin.gif. I think i did try NRPCarbs for the kits, but there website wasn't working properly, plus, all the kits i find in the UK are either expensive or not a complete kit. The ones I've got (collected today) have everything in them for a full refurb. I suppose I could do a blog, I'll have a browse through free blog sites biggrin.gif

MArk2 - Is that stuff better than Krust? as I've got loads of that.

slartybartfarst - I appreciate your input, but if I gave up in life every time someone told me to I would be in the position I am or the same person I am today. I will see this though, i may be hard, it may be tough and it may take some time, but I will see it through. If I dont, you can say I told you so. I know what you mean about the 'looking right' thing, personally, There's a couple of things on the bike pictured that I would have done differently to make it to my taste, but at the end of the day your never going to please everyone. And with this being MY bike, as long as it pleases ME, I aint too fussed.

gschwall - Excellent mate, PM away biggrin.gif

Collected the carb kits from the post office today, Gonna get to work on them in the evenings this week. after that its Ignition circuit time. biggrin.gif

#34 zenniez

zenniez

sticking around

• 34 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:28 am

This is What im going for -
Im gonna be more or less copying this but, I'll add my own touches here and there.

:huh:Good to see your not setting your goals too high. rolleyes.gif It seems like a hell of alot of time and money to spend on a retro, but ashamedly that is only my jealousy showing.
Good luck, will be watching your progress.

#35 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:08 pm

Nothing much to updated other than I got an ultrasonic cleaner and am currently doing the Carbs, Haven't had much time over Christmas but heres a little piccy with the tank and headlight sat in place on it biggrin.gif

#36 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:14 pm

Almost done. tongue.gif

Hours of fun there Lewis.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#37 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:31 pm

looks quite narrow and loight ferra 3 silinder 750 don't it ! wonder what she weighs 'wet' and ready to roll ???

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#38 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:32 pm

Around 550-560lbs (250kg) apparently Wicky blink.gif Shaft drive don't help eh.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#39 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:11 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 15th Jan 2012, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks quite narrow and loight Not the word I woulda used to describe an XS750! laugh.gif

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#40 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:22 pm

http://www.carandcla...uk/car/C226966# is this one of them?

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users