Chain & Sprocket Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:49 am

Before I start I'd like to point out that this is not the official way to change the chain/sprockets.
The manual says to use an endless chain and remove the swingarm to put it on.
While this gives the opportunity to check/adjust/lubricate the swingarm/suspension linkage bearings most people don't want to go to this trouble at the same time as doing the chain but if you wish to this job too then refere to JBX's page here after the rear wheel has been removed.

Lets start.

You may wish to remove the exhausts (silencers not downpipes) to make access easier.

To get to the front sprocket start by taking the gear lever off by undoing the Allen bolt

then remove the plastic cover.

Speedo pick up cover to reveal the pick up sensor and rotor. And the gear lever linkage noting it's alignment on the shaft.

Remove the rotor (14mm nut), note the washer behind it.

And the sprocket cover.

You can then get to the sprocket and tab washer.

You will then need to place a chisel/screwdriver under the tab(s) and tap them until they are open (flat against sprocket) and you can get a socket (36mm) on the nut.

Undoing the the nut can be problematic, personally I use an impact wrench. If you don't have one it might be a good idea to have this undone at a local garage then just nipped up for a slow ride back to the house.
Once the nut is undone and removed go to the rear wheel.
Undo the nut

and slacken off the adjuster bolts (both sides)

and the caliper bracket slide bolt

You may also want to remove the caliper and tie it out of the way to make wheel removal/replacement easier if you are not experienced with this procedure.
As for the chain, grind off any two (I usually use the old soft link) rivet heads

and push the pins at least half way out with a chain breaker, remove the link and simply pull the chain through until it's completely removed. Now the chain is off you can remove the front sprocket.

Now remove the wheel nut and withdraw spindle, again this can be difficult if it doesn't get done very often so have a hammer and drift (copper or brass) handy and make sure there are no kids or pets nearby that might get hit by flying tools.
Once removed let the wheel drop to the floor and make sure you keep the spacers on their correct sides as they are different. Now you can roll the wheel back and push the caliper bracket forward and this will give enough room for the wheel to come out.

Remove the sprocket from the rear wheel and then take a break.

cake eating.gif ambusy.gif

If you are anything like me, by this time there will be grease and black finger prints everywhere so take the time to clean up especially around the front sprocket area and inside the covers.
At this point it's a good idea to lubricate the wheel adjuster bolts and wind them in until the head of the adjuster is level with the front of the wheel spindle slot.
Now put the new front sprocket, tab washer and nut on and do the nut finger tight.

Put the new sprocket on the rear wheel and torque the nuts in a cross pattern to 69Nm and replace the wheel loosely.
Pass the new chain over the swingarm around the front sprocket and back under the swingarm, I find it best to have the two ends of the chain meet at the 2 o'clock position on the rear sprocket.
Put some grease and 2 'O' or 'X' rings (one on each pin) on the new rivet link and push link into the two ends of the chain, add the other 2 'O' or 'X' rings and the outer plate.
Now using the attachments of the chain breaker, push the outer plate on until it starts to squeeze the rings between the plates. change attachments and rivet the ends of the 2 pins.
Adjust the chain (50-60mm) and tighten the rear wheel (150Nm) and replace caliper if you removed it and tighten the slide bolt.
Now click into first gear, apply rear brake and torque the front sprocket nut to 85Nm, then bend tab or tabs as required.

Apart from reassembly of the front covers that should be job done.

Good luck.

CB

If there is anything you think I have missed or wish to be added let me know.

#2 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:36 am

doing this tonight as i have to take it to a garage to get the bolt undone as i bent my bar on saturday trying yo undo it , nice pics by the way drinks.gif

#3 treadman

treadman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:48 pm

tried to remove the speedo pick up cover but the allen keys are spinning whats behind the cover is nuts in plastic ,could the holes have worn round, whats my options please
Neil

#4 frodg

frodg

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:39 pm

Very nice guide indeed tongue.gif tongue.gif

Great photos too.

But....
Imagine someone putting up the HowTo guide for this process the day AFTER I did the whole sprocket /chain replacement! dunno.gif ! What is the world coming to smile.gif

Honestly - I did this the day before it was posted and had to fiddle through the whole process based on various YouTube videos of other bikes.

If you are wondering - the size of the sprocket nut is 36mm..... spent ages trying to find out so I could get the right socket sad.gif

Thanks again

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:37 am

So why didn't YOU post up a 'how to' ? tongue.gif The 36mm socket is mentioned.

Neil - sorry matey, I haven't a clue with sorting oot yer problem.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 treadman

treadman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:19 pm

its ok stuudders, im gonna give a treat at the dealers on the 18th, pay day
Neil

#7 frodg

frodg

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:11 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Fri 30th Mar 2012, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why didn't YOU post up a 'how to' ? tongue.gif The 36mm socket is mentioned.
Neil - sorry matey, I haven't a clue with sorting oot yer problem.

My mechanical expertise is strictly limited to the "fiddle with it" league - I wouldn't presume to be logical in my approach to maintenance enough to do something like this sad.gif wub.gif

I definitely appreciate all the howtos .... and admire those deft enough to put one together ...

#8 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:27 am

@frodg
I don't like to rub salt into the wound but this made me laugh.
I actually did this job about 3 Weeks before I posted it.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:31 am

QUOTE(treadman @ Fri 30th Mar 2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its ok stuudders, im gonna give a treat at the dealers on the 18th, pay day
Neil

Markymark posted up about this a while ago. Might be worth searching ferret or as a short cut send he a massage. Think he simply levered em oot then either bodged or fixed em to shove em bacon.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users