dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,132 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 16 September 2023 - 12:03 pm

Hello dare and welcome.

Oid gofer a 9er .....at some point ewe may reach enlightenment and get an 850 of some kind.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2122 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,373 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 September 2023 - 12:05 pm

If you want to do mile after mile gofer the 9er, if you like to ride like a hooligan round the back roads gofer Mk2a.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#2123 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,779 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:07 am

Me and Studley chucked along on 2x 900's with 2 x GS1250's in Spain, sure the GS got a ton more torque but realistically did now't the 9r's could'nt, agree with above, if your a back road hooligan 850, big miles then the 900 and i personally think a 17" front made a diference, mind the 850 kept up in Spain as well.

Ps. 900 requires less maintenance than an 850 and has easier access if you do your own fettling.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2124 Blaqkfox

Blaqkfox

seems to like Carpe

• 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 06:38 am

Hello everyone. This is my 1992 TDM850. Im from Tennessee, USA. We only got these bikes for two years unfortunately so theyre pretty hard to come by.

Attached File  770C0F1C-636E-4DDE-AE9E-9D529C094B37.jpeg   298.67KB   1 downloads

I work as a tech at a vintage motorcycle repair and restoration shop. And yet Id never even heard of the TDM before. We were looking for carburetor parts for a Ducati monster 900 when we noticed it shared the same carburetors as a tdm850. Turns out this one was for sale very close to me, and Ive got a weak spot for anything rare, so I had to have it.

Attached File  38FCDC70-0C54-404F-B5FD-2C5A6F490AFD.jpeg   136.11KB   1 downloads

I tried to find others for sale to gauge its value but could only find 5 others for sale in the entire USA. And prices were everywhere from $2k-$5k. I managed to get this one with 26k miles on it a little over a month ago for $2200. It ran well and had new tires, the tank was super clean, not a spec of rust inside, but the plastics are a little faded. But it had some flaws. The turn signals didnt work for one, and the previous owner decided to do away with the fuel pump all together. The gauge cluster and tail light were shaky, and some other small grievances.

Over the last month or so Ive installed a new mechanical oem fuel pump, cobbled together some bmw gs turn signals I had laying around to make fit, modified the hardware for the shaking cluster and tail light, replaced all the fluids, replaced the valve cover gasket, cleaned a lot, check the valve lash, did away with some added wiring they had installed, added a battery tender, bent the handlebars back square, and sonic cleaned, rebuilt and balanced the carburetors. I also replaced the tall aftermarket windshield it had with an oem one, added some heated grips, and saddle bags.

Attached File  681AB878-7FBB-4EC1-8397-735F55EF30A3.jpeg   239.77KB   1 downloads

I also have a few other bikes. A gen1 2001 Yamaha FZ1 (called a Fazer for you folks overseas) thats been my daily commuter for about a year now, but the TDM is about to take that job over since it gets much better mileage. But Ill keep the FZ for those weekends in the mountains or when Im in a rush ;). And I also have a 1975 Yamaha RS100 two stroke bike thats about to be a restoration project, and a 1999 Suzuki sv650 (not pictured) I got for cheap that Im about to rebuild the top ends on and resale. Theres also a kz550 hiding in the corner that I built into a cafe bike for a friend, its been my project for the last year and is about to be finished once I tune the carburetors. Oh and theres a Honda rebel 250 there I bought to flip but its already gone. Ive had a lot of bikes over the years but the tdm and fz are here to stay.

#2125 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,451 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 January 2024 - 07:38 am

Good selection of bikes you have there and well done with the TDM. Most 850s use a bit of oil so keep a close eye on the level, been many suffer for that reason.
Enjoy the TDM and feel free to pop up a pic or two of the RS. My older brother had one back in the day which I used to ride when he was in bed. :lol:​ 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#2126 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,132 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 08:45 am

Hello dare and welcome.

Maybe only for two years... But the best two years for sure.

So few people know about them in the US of A that sometimes you can't even give them away.. http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

If you haven't already done so, it's worth puttin them 2 missing bolts in afore the soide panel goes walkies.

Always jealous of how kind the merkin weather is to boikes. Looks great.

If ewe need any parts I may be able to help... Will swap for mid 80s GM mid injund ve-hickle parts (never made here).

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2127 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,779 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:11 am

Oh it's a Big Red  :wub:  good find and it looks to be in good fettle  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2128 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,373 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:01 am

Welcome to the asylum, nice clean bike you have there.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#2129 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,399 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:12 pm

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2130 Blaqkfox

Blaqkfox

seems to like Carpe

• 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 04:05 pm

Thanks! Good eyes on the missing fairing bolts. I was in a rush putting it back together before taking it on a long trip and had forgotten the old expansion plugs had disintegrated. I really dont like this fairing hardware design. Those rubber expansion nuts are always a pain when they go bad and spin with you. And unfortunately around here the local hardware stores only sell them in standard. Had a Seca II awhile back I rebuilt and had a time trying to make those standard nuts work- theyre either a hair too big to fit in the hole or a hair too small to expand and hold well. Ill have to get some online I recon. I did manage to make a 2hr ride down the interstate to visit the folks for Christmas without them flying off though lol

Unfortunately the weather isnt so great here right now. Youd think living in the southern USA it would always be warm, but were currently about 25F-40F, cloudy, and rainy. So itll be about 3 more months before it warms up enough for me to ride, even with my winter gear. TN weather is a funny thing, i lived in Seattle WA for two years and its currently warmer up there next to Canada lol

Heres that RS100

Attached File  3CE61FC2-ACCB-40A7-9D05-01DC0CF55301.jpeg   285.01KB   1 downloads

Attached File  B523904D-0826-47E1-81A9-9E4D98B810E9.jpeg   307.8KB   1 downloads

I picked it up for $300. It was sitting in a guys basement after his father passed and has set for 7 years. Theres a small pinhole in the bottom corner of the tank unfortunately. And its so corroded Ive yet to be able to remove the fuel cap. But its in really good shape otherwise!

I have to finish my SV first (the shop is doing a $1k bike challenge for YouTube- were doing a 500 mile trip in March so I have to get it ready for that). And the KZ550 needs to leave as well so I need to finish it. Then my FZ has a whole shelf of parts waiting to be installed

Attached File  8CDF2767-D8DE-4E3E-99B4-035995C88CB8.jpeg   442.84KB   1 downloads

I just sold my sports car and had too much money so bought some carbon fiber panels for it, a Mivv exhaust, Ivans jet kit, and new intake boots that Im gonna port, as well as delete the AIS and take care of all the maintenance it needs like a valve lash check and fluids and whatnot. But once all those projects are done Ill finally move onto the RS100. Its gonna be my put around bike for when we go to the Barbers museum down in Birmingham Alabama. (You should check that place out, its insane!)

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT84yhT21/

#2131 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,451 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:41 am

Rs is the same as my brothers but his was blue. Looks in good shape on the pics. Great start for a rest and at 300 was a steal.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#2132 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,373 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:44 am

Ivans jet kit does wonders for the fazer thou, made mine so much smoother all the way through the range, I had a 4 degree ignition advancer on mine as well but it depends what grade of fuel you have available.

#2133 TDMRSA

TDMRSA

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:28 pm

Hi everyone.

Joined the forum a while back, so here is my 91 TDM 850 in South Africa. Number 314 ever built. 

Has a few mods done to it: Full Maroso 2-1 exhaust system, hot cams (revving to about 14k and doing 240kph on the GPS)

Has a few issues as well, but working to resolve that. Once mechanical is sorted, cosmetics will begin.

Attached File  20230323_164919.jpg   130.42KB   0 downloads

Hi everyone.

Joined the forum a while back, so here is my 91 TDM 850 in South Africa. Number 314 ever built. 

Has a few mods done to it: Full Maroso 2-1 exhaust system, hot cams (revving to about 14k and doing 240kph on the GPS)

Has a few issues as well, but working to resolve that. Once mechanical is sorted, cosmetics will begin.

Edited by TDMRSA, 07 January 2024 - 01:33 pm.

#2134 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,132 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:31 pm

Hello dare and welcome.

Boike looks great. How did ewe get the build number?

#2135 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,373 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:34 pm

Welcome, how do you manage to stay on it that way up?

#2136 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,451 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:39 pm

:lol: 

Welcome.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#2137 TDMRSA

TDMRSA

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:26 pm

Just like the Australians, but with less spiders :lol:

Hello dare and welcome.

Boike looks great. How did ewe get the build number?

I got an owners manual that shows the different chassis and engine numbers for the different release years. Production started in 1991 with number 000101. Mine is 000415

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users