#1 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:20 am

Does anybody know how to tighten up the clutch lever ? im forever adjusting mine, so the biting point
comes in a bit. but there seems to be alot of movement on the actual lever (up and down) sometimes think the bloody things gonna come off. Or are all TDMs the same blink.gif

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:28 am

I think you need the patented "Eccles Washer".
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:09 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 23rd Jun 2006, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need the patented "Eccles Washer".

Wasss one of dem ??

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:10 am

Its a specially deisgned "lever retaining ring", designed and retailed by the famous Professor Eccles.

Its gonna cost ya but is worth the expense. I think Dandywarhol knows how to contact him.

Boop
dapleb
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:12 am

I'd guess it's a thin washer shoved into the hinge first mentioned by Alan Eccles.

But I can do adding up, me.

Seriously, I guess if you can't find one of the exact thickness you need, get one slightly too think and then gently file file down the lever until you get a smooth fit without too much friction. Then slap it back together with lashings of ginger beer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H moly grease.
Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#6 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:33 am

QUOTE(andyj @ Fri 23rd Jun 2006, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd guess it's a thin washer shoved into the hinge first mentioned by Alan Eccles.

But I can do adding up, me.

Seriously, I guess if you can't find one of the exact thickness you need, get one slightly too think and then gently file file down the lever until you get a smooth fit without too much friction. Then slap it back together with lashings of ginger beer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H moly grease.

you do realise your talking to someone who struggles to figure out how to oil the chain, and your asking me to use a file??? ill have to open the other halfs make up bag . she keeps plenty of files in there . good.gif

#7 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:49 am

Try buying a new lever then. The old one's probably worn (it's made of softer metal than the housing it hinges from). A jeanyoueen Yamaha one's probably going to be a better fit than an aftermarket/pattern one though. And probably more money as well.

Edited by andyj, 23 June 2006 - 09:49 am.

Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#8 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:33 am

QUOTE(andyj @ Fri 23rd Jun 2006, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try buying a new lever then. The old one's probably worn (it's made of softer metal than the housing it hinges from). A jeanyoueen Yamaha one's probably going to be a better fit than an aftermarket/pattern one though. And probably more money as well.

its only a year old , TDM 900, me , non of this 850 lark for me anymore.

its probably just me being paranoid

#9 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:53 pm

QUOTE(Nosaj @ Fri 23rd Jun 2006, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its only a year old , TDM 900, me , non of this 850 lark for me anymore.

its probably just me being paranoid

I'm having the same clutch lever concerns (20 month old bike, 6500 miles). Had a Honda Transalp previously - same problem so fitted a shim or two. Metal ain't what it used to be back in my hippy days - exhausts were triple-walled then, too, and stayed silver-shiny....

Pict

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#10 TDMBob

TDMBob

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:16 am

lever retaining ring

I would be very wary of anything that has been retained by the Eccles ring blink.gif

#11 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:02 am

QUOTE(TDMBob @ Sat 24th Jun 2006, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be very wary of anything that has been retained by the Eccles ring blink.gif

its nice to know im not the only one that can lower the tone...well done bob tongue.gif

#12 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:51 pm

QUOTE(andyj @ Fri 23rd Jun 2006, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're gonna change the lever it may well be worth changing the pivot bolt too. Although the lever is made of soft ally there may be a bronze bush in it which may wear the pivot bolt too. If the bolt is worn it will be easy to see when removed.

QUOTE(andyj @ Fri 23rd Jun 2006, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then slap it back together with lashings of ginger beer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H moly grease.

Don't want to offend anyone by contradicting a fellow Carpedian but I find ordinary yellow grease is thicker for external use blink.gif .

Moly grease is thin engine assembly paste and will wash away.

Mind you anything is better than nothing.

Edited by Jez, 24 June 2006 - 03:52 pm.

Red and black '96. Blue spot Thunderace calipers with braided two-line front hoses - 'kin brill. 17 incher out front. Renthal street/trail bars - vibe free. 1150GS brush guards. HIDs - niiiiice. Stebel Magnum - crikey. Nonfango hard luggage. Nexxus. SW-Motech center stand. Had a Powerbronze tall screen - too noisy - went back to standard.

Stealth Diamond Black 900 with lurvely black frame. GS brush guards. HotGrips on a relay - cos I keep forgetting. SW-Motech center stand and engine bars. LED rear light. Vario set to min. 17 incher. PR2s.

All now a fond (very fond) memory. Maybe again some day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users