• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gandy

Gandy

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:49 pm

I had to replace the stator last March on my 2003 900 but didn't replace the R/R.All went well until last week and again the stator has gone short circuit.My problem now is,having re-assembled everything and replaced the stator,all is well again,14vdc etc.I purchased a R/R when the stator first burned out but didn't use it due mounting issues.There is no evidence of any smell or brittle connections etc on the original R/R but I cannot say with certaintity if the original is perfect or not!Do R/R ever go short circuit intermittently resulting in over current on the stator windings?To mount the Electrex unit will be close to a disaster due heatsink probelms etc due to it's higher operating temperature compared to the original MOSFET type unit.
Any comment welcome!

#2 Guest_mattspeedtriple_*

Guest_mattspeedtriple_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:58 pm

Yup, reg/rec`s can go open circuit when hot. If you`ve now burnt out a second stator then get the Electrex R&R fitted asap as they`re better quality than standard units and hopefully you won`t have to pay out again for yet another stator. Remember that you can always extend wires to allow you to fit the new R&R where ever you want and allow it to get the best air flow it can.

#3 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:05 pm

Are you buying new stators or having them rewound?
When mine went I had it rewound and when ity came back it had been done with much heavier guage wire.

#4 Gandy

Gandy

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:02 pm

QUOTE(mattspeedtriple @ Sat 17th Jul 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, reg/rec`s can go open circuit when hot. If you`ve now burnt out a second stator then get the Electrex R&R fitted asap as they`re better quality than standard units and hopefully you won`t have to pay out again for yet another stator. Remember that you can always extend wires to allow you to fit the new R&R where ever you want and allow it to get the best air flow it can.
But do they ever go short circuit thus causing big current flow through the stator windings?
QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sat 17th Jul 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you buying new stators or having them rewound?When mine went I had it rewound and when ity came back it had been done with much heavier guage wire.
Both were off the shelf,not re-wound units.

#5 Guest_mattspeedtriple_*

Guest_mattspeedtriple_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:09 pm

Yup, they can also go short circuit and cause the stator to overload. SV650`s suffer from this problem as the R&R`s will go duff when hot but read fine when cool and then take out the stator. There`s really only two things in a charging system so if you have the new R&R then fit it as stator is the other which your already replacing anyway.

Edited by mattspeedtriple, 17 July 2010 - 03:10 pm.

#6 Gandy

Gandy

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:18 pm

QUOTE(mattspeedtriple @ Sat 17th Jul 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, they can also go short circuit and cause the stator to overload. SV650`s suffer from this problem as the R&R`s will go duff when hot but read fine when cool and then take out the stator. There`s really only two things in a charging system so if you have the new R&R then fit it as stator is the other which your already replacing anyway.

Matt.mind made up,am putting in the Electrex unit this evening no matter how awkward the job may be!

#7 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:43 pm

QUOTE(Gandy @ Sat 17th Jul 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both were off the shelf,not re-wound units.

Blood ell mate, I know how much they are, I was quoted £600 from the dealers.
I got mine rewound in Devon (UK) for £55 and had it back in 3 days

Contact details for rewind should you need it

See here for my stator story

And here for a fault finding flow chart.

Obviously you know what you're doing electrically but it might help identify a reg/rec fault

Edited by celticbiker, 17 July 2010 - 03:56 pm.

#8 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:11 pm

Don't know about the 900s, but the R/R on MK1s is a weak link in the system. I fried 2 before I replaced it w/ the much higher capacity R98 unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users