38 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:20 am

Hi and thanks for the add!

Getting acquainted with this excellent site, loving a good old-style forum for these bikes. I'll probably be asking all kinds of questions, while reading up on the most common topics.

Picked up my first TDM on Saturday in Oslo, riding it to Stavanger across the mountains. Because this is what we do here. Desireable vehicles are rare and far between, so this is the second time I fly to buy... (I found my Rover P6 in Oslo, too).

I'm transitioning from a 1997 VFR750FV so it's a lot of newness. The bike is pretty much mint and still has a lot of freshness to it with 32000 kms and having lived a garaged life. It's a 2004, came with Yamaha luggage and a handy little SW Motech tank 'purse'. Otherwise stock and regularly serviced, with 10-year old Michelin PR5s that, amazingly, still feel supple. I'll be replacing them though. And I feel a bit bad, as I ride year-round and will soon be exposing it to salt.

I've developed a crush on the TDM while on extended stays in Greece, where they are plentiful and impressive as riders shoot and thread madly through the congestion, fishtailing and braaaapping their styled steeds with Remus cans and whatnot. I love how I can whack it out of roundabouts, and with the 'Airbox Wire-8 Mod' done yesterday it has 6th-gear overtaking capabilities I didn't expect.

Attached File  TDM1.jpg   120.46KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TDM2.jpg   102.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TDM3.jpg   108.52KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TDM4.jpg   110.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TDM5.jpg   91.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TDM6.jpg   65.38KB   0 downloads

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:41 am

Welcome aboard Tor, looks to be a nice example, enjoy!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:42 am

Hello dare and welcome.

Lubbly pics. Hope you enjoy the boike
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 waynedear

waynedear

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:02 am

Welcome Tor, lovely bike.

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 08:15 am

Welcome, looks great !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 October 2021 - 08:30 am

Welcome Tor, looks good indeed, Wicky will want to know what's under the cover  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:16 am

That looks to be in fantastic condition.  :good:

I do like a good stave church too, 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 October 2021 - 01:20 pm

That bike looks mint, welcome to the mad house 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#9 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 08:54 pm

Thanks guys! I feel at home already 😁

Under that cover lurks a HD 1200 Sportster the seller went for instead. I dont get it myself, but some do.

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:06 pm

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:18 am

Nice bike,I hope you enjoy many miles together
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:16 pm

Velkommen, og slitan!

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#13 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:35 am

Welcome to the forum Tor.  :badgerrock:

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 02:05 pm

Nice bike and it's had the modified camchain tensioner fitted to it  :good:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:25 pm

Thanks guys! 

Nice bike and it's had the modified camchain tensioner fitted to it  :good:

It does? How to spot?

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:24 pm

Welcome Tor, looks good indeed, Wicky will want to know what's under the cover  :good:

yes i am a nosey parker.  Welcome Tor, that TDM looks well cared for. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:59 am

Thanks guys! 

It does? How to spot?

I just found the JBX DIY page and went outside to measure. It is in fact the old tensioner with the 38mm body. I'll get on to Yam Norway to see if they will sort me a replacement. Looks like a simple enough job.

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:27 pm

I just found the JBX DIY page and went outside to measure. It is in fact the old tensioner with the 38mm body. I'll get on to Yam Norway to see if they will sort me a replacement. Looks like a simple enough job.

Really?? It looked like the later one because they are a different shade of grey paint  :huh:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:42 am

Could well be cheaper from megazip

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:06 pm

You know when changing the tensioner you have to position the engine correctly or it will go kerchinnggg an then it's cam cover off time.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users