Scottoiler

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nils_*

Guest_nils_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:41 am

I am fed up with the messy rear wheel. The different chain lubricants that I have used over the years all leave most of the oil on the rim.

Most of all I would replace the chain for a belt drive, but I cannot find any conversion kit for the 900.

My questions are:
o Will a Scottoiler leave less oil residue on the rim?
o Is it difficult to set up the Scottoiler for rigth amount of oil?
o Do you have to tweek these settings every 100 kms?
o Are you all happy with your Scottoiler?

Thanks for any feedback

/Nils

#2 aytcat

aytcat

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:28 pm

QUOTE(nils @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am fed up with the messy rear wheel. The different chain lubricants that I have used over the years all leave most of the oil on the rim.

Most of all I would replace the chain for a belt drive, but I cannot find any conversion kit for the 900.

My questions are:

Thanks for any feedback

/Nils

1=yes
2=no
3=no. only winter/spring when weather is colder or warmer
4=yes very

#3 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:36 pm

In order:

- probably not
- in my experience, yes but I'm a klutz
- no, about every 300kms
- yes, amazingly, given my answers above.

The Scottoiler is definitely better than spray on lubricants, but it is not pefect. Its hard to get mine to deliver just the right amount, its usually too much or too little. But I've had several bikes with Scottoilers and the chains definitely last longer. Of the spray on types I reckon Castrol chain wax is pretty good, doesn't shift much, not in normal Scottish temperatures anyway. wink.gif

#4 mr grumpy 2

mr grumpy 2

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:08 pm

My questions are:
if adjusted as temperature changes/when wet or dry
its a balance between wet looking chain and messy wheel
just have to look and chain and wheel when you remember
yes

i have the touring kit and dual injector. means longer between top up and i think better oiling of chain for less mess on the wheel.

even riding through all weathers i get more than 20k miles from a chain.

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:23 pm

My questions are:

yes, it actually did more to clean my bike than i have.
can be a little tricky, but patience is a virtue
only when the ambient temp or altitude changes significantly
yes, but i wish i'd got a mechanic to install it for me, coz i'm also a clutz

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#6 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:38 pm

yes, wipes off easily
no
no only change setting during winter as oil gets thicker as temperature falls

very happy

Just noticed my answers are the same as Aytcat

are you thinking of fitting the touring version (fits behind number plate), easy to view oil level.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#7 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:51 pm

I think that the scottoiler is the dogs danglies for keeping the transmission in order.
The oil actually keeps the sprockets & chain clean, & there's minimal oil on yer wheel rim once it's set up right. good.gif

The only thing I've found that's better is the shaft drive on me Beemer yahoo.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#8 Guest_nils_*

Guest_nils_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
QUOTE(Daveb @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you thinking of fitting the touring version (fits behind number plate), easy to view oil level.
Sounds like a good idea.

I read somewhere that some people go back to single injector after using dual for a while. Is it more difficult to adjust the oil flow when using dual injectors? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks again!

/Nils

#9 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:56 pm

The only problem with the dual injectors, is that the mechanism is more prone to slippage, so the injectors can touch the chain, which then burrs the ends & blocks them.

The single injector is much more solid & mounts to the side of the sprocket. It can be set more accurately, but relies on capilliary action to get the oil across the other side of the chain.

Having tried both, I prefer the single injector, but it's entirely personal choice, as both are effective .

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
another '81 XT250
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:01 pm

My questions are:

Thanks for any feedback

/Nils

Nils have you contacted these people??? http://www.vh-motorr....php?content=34

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:07 pm

Tanks Wicky,

Oi likes that belt drive Fazer good.gif

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:27 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tanks Wicky,

Oi likes that belt drive Fazer good.gif

rotflmmfao.gif oi cudn't have ritten dat better meself good.gif that belt drive Fazer look gr8 indeed.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#13 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:33 pm

G'Day from Oz good.gif

To stop oil on my rear rim I "borrowed" a plastic ie tupperware bowl or similar from the kitchen cupboard (silently unsure.gif )about the same diameter as the rear chain sprocket and deep enough to cover the chain.

I then used approx a third of the bowl, bent up an aluminium angle bracket and bolted it to the chain tensioner nuts at the rear of the swing arm, pop rivetted the plastic to the bracket and bolted the top to the chain guard for easy wheel removal.

Works a treat. banana.gif

Can even colour match the bowl to ya bike eh??? wink.gif

Will take a photo when the camera is repaired.

Cheers

drinks.gif

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:35 pm

QUOTE(masterbrewer @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'Day from Oz good.gif

To stop oil on my rear rim I "borrowed" a plastic ie tupperware bowl or similar from the kitchen cupboard (silently unsure.gif )about the same diameter as the rear chain sprocket and deep enough to cover the chain.

I then used approx a third of the bowl, bent up an aluminium angle bracket and bolted it to the chain tensioner nuts at the rear of the swing arm, pop rivetted the plastic to the bracket and bolted the top to the chain guard for easy wheel removal.

Works a treat. banana.gif

Can even colour match the bowl to ya bike eh??? wink.gif

Will take a photo when the camera is repaired.

Cheers

drinks.gif

ahhhh s'funny i was tinking of doin just that wink.gif

#15 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:43 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahhhh s'funny i was tinking of doin just that wink.gif

An' den yer jes need a poipe from der tupperware bowl to yer oil filler cap - yes could save yersen hours every week, Wicky rotflmmfao.gif

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:45 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An' den yer jes need a poipe from der tupperware bowl to yer oil filler cap - yes could save yersen hours every week, Wicky rotflmmfao.gif

u feckin mindreader wub.gif wub.gif

#17 Guest_nils_*

Guest_nils_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:41 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nils have you contacted these people??? http://www.vh-motorr....php?content=34
I have sent them a question twice, without any response sad.gif Maybe I should try to write in German?

/Nils

#18 beeble-tdm9

beeble-tdm9

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 154 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:08 pm

Whatever you use... there will always be some fling.

I think the Scottoilers probably put a lot more oil on than the chain actually needs.

No.

Extremely. You pay ~£70 open the box... and think is that all it is... lol. But then when you've seen it working and you can see how clean and wet your chain is it's worth every penny.

If they reckon that the chains will last about 20K miles with a Scotty.... then it's not worth having a belt drive is it?
--

Previously Owned: 1997 Yamaha SR125, 1998 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion
Currently Own: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 1981 Honda CX500 US Custom, 1995 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion

#19 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:23 pm

Most definitely

No. The mechanic who fitted it for me told me that if you have oil on your tyre it is set too high. If the chain is dry it is set too low.

No.

Really happy. The chain is clean and damp with oil all the time now.
www.myspace.com/andyrothers

#20 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:38 pm

19000 miles from my chain so far and the rear sprocket is hardly worn. I've ridden all year round, though tend to avoid wet days if I can - but it has been subject to winter road crud etc.

Am I happy with the Scotoiler? Yep

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users