17 replies to this topic

#1 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:00 am

Replacement for my 9er looks a fairly obvious choice but it was simply the first available in my bike bucket list (A V-4, Triple & Ducati)

It's 2015 6K miles and other than the engine seems very strong I've no idea what its like as the ride home was on a dark wet night. Came with some useful extras, engine bars, 3 screens, radiator guard, top box, led running lights on the hand guards and some not so which will be put back to standard when i have time. That's shorty levers, tail tidy & Yamaha rear led indicators. The tyres are original and although legal need replaced.

Mixed reviews on Carpe but I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it  :)

Tracer-2.jpg

Signature test

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:31 am

Nice and i think that's the best colour scheme.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:11 am

Nice looking bike and as you say, some useful extras. I liked the Tracer when I test rode it. The only downside for me was the suspension wasn't the best, I'm a big bugger though, so I suspect I overwhelmed it :rotflmmfao: , but I believe there's plenty of suspension upgrades available now for not too many ££££s. That motor is a peach. I hope you'll both be very happy together.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#4 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:01 pm

Mixed reviews on Carpe but I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it.

And cleaning it ;)

#5 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:21 pm

The dark wet night was probably a bit brighter thanks to the swanky LED headlights!

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#6 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:51 pm

She's a beauty I like it :)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#7 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:35 pm

And cleaning it ;)

Indeed :)

I've had a couple of short evenings at it and it's looking good. The bike is very tidy but what I've noticed (And expected) is that it's not built out of the same quality of components as my 9er. Brackets clamps etc tend to be painted/plated steel compared to the stainless and alloy on the 9er.

I'll keep on top of the cleaning & corrosion prevention and if as I expect I enjoy riding it all will be good :)
Signature test

#8 mikem

mikem

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:36 pm

A lovely bike, enjoy it

#9 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:34 pm

Well I've had the Tracer for a while now, done a couple of thousand miles including a wet practice week at the TT. My thoughts below.

I like it a lot, it's faster than my 9er but as the speed I ride at is determined by road conditions that makes no difference. It's stiffer and ultimately corners better but I kinda liked the softness of my 9er and probably had more confidence in it on strange or bumpy roads. Its pretty good on fuel 54-57mpg over a tank on average, only a little down on the 9er. The engine is a peach, I enjoy it a lot. Its comfortable, upright with very wide bars that seem strange at first but quickly become normal.

What I don't like is the fuelling. Just going out for my weekend ride its not really an issue, i like to make progress and things are good. However in town traffic or two up filtering it's pretty dang awful, holing steady revs or speed at very small throttle openings is impossible and it surges a lot. An ECU reflash/remap is available, I've blown this years biking budget on an Enduro bike but I'm fairly certain I'll get it done over the winter. The fuelling was never great on the 9er either but it was easy to ride around and it never cost me a thought, this is much worse and really annoying.

Signature test

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:53 pm

Well I've had the Tracer for a while now, done a couple of thousand miles including a wet practice week at the TT. My thoughts below.

I like it a lot, it's faster than my 9er but as the speed I ride at is determined by road conditions that makes no difference. It's stiffer and ultimately corners better but I kinda liked the softness of my 9er and probably had more confidence in it on strange or bumpy roads. Its pretty good on fuel 54-57mpg over a tank on average, only a little down on the 9er. The engine is a peach, I enjoy it a lot. Its comfortable, upright with very wide bars that seem strange at first but quickly become normal.

What I don't like is the fuelling. Just going out for my weekend ride its not really an issue, i like to make progress and things are good. However in town traffic or two up filtering it's pretty dang awful, holing steady revs or speed at very small throttle openings is impossible and it surges a lot. An ECU reflash/remap is available, I've blown this years biking budget on an Enduro bike but I'm fairly certain I'll get it done over the winter. The fuelling was never great on the 9er either but it was easy to ride around and it never cost me a thought, this is much worse and really annoying.

so you were one of what appeared to be hundreds of Tracers on the island during practice week,  i was amazed at how many BMW's and KTM's there were too.  Is an ECU reflash expensive i wonder?  One of the members on here had a TDM 900 remapped and it would appear to have given  favourable results.  yer boike looks mint.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:38 am

i was amazed at how many BMW's and KTM's there were too.  Is an ECU reflash expensive i wonder?  One of the members on here had a TDM 900 remapped and it would appear to have given  favourable results.  yer boike looks mint.

i was amazed at how many BMW's and KTM's there were too.  Is an ECU reflash expensive i wonder? 

I've two friends who recently bought a 1290 Adventure S and a 1290 Adventure R. I really only noticed KTMs after they bought them, like you say there were lots of them.

The remap is a place in England called S-Tec. Costs £260 including return postage and by all accounts is very successful.

Signature test

#12 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:52 am

I am on an American forum for the MT-07. A lot of them choose to flash their ECU with good results.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#13 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:22 pm

I was another one with a 'new' Tracer on that rainy TT week (along with Wickie) - was my first proper ride on it and similar opinion to yours, engine is great.

Mine came with a Nitron shock, so I can't compare to stock as wasn't sure what it was like before, but the handling is really good and the previous owner (ET who used to be on here too) said it transformed the bike, so maybe something to think about.

I've also thought about the remap.  Few places seem to do it but one that gets great reviews is Simon Taylor at S-Tec.  Apparently it smooths the throttle out so much that A mode becomes properly usable and a really good laugh instead of a snatchy on/off experience.  I emailed him and he said the following:

With the 'Mail In' ecu flash you will get new fuel and ETV (electronic throttle valve) maps to suit your setup plus the following options all of which i would recommend with the exception of default startup in A mode but some people like this option. 

Disable 5th & 6th gear speed restrictions (Top speed limiter)
Disable AIS ( left on if you prefer more popping from exhaust)
Disable Injection decel cut (this will give you a smooth on/off throttle and feels like engine braking has been reduced)
Disable o2 sensor ( closed loop)
The o2 sensor in the exhaust is removed and switched off in the flash. Basically this allows me to re-map the closed loop area of the fuel map and therefor get the AFR correct in this area. There are two fuel maps on all FI controlled bikes, the IAP map controls the cruise and smaller throttle openings and this is controlled by the o2 sensor. The TPS maps are used for larger throttle openings on acceleration.
Reduce fan operating temps (On at 95 off at 90)
Default start up in A mode(again personal choice)

All the modes work as normal but with the improvements to the fuel and etv maps the bike will be much smoother to ride with better throttle response all round.

The cost for the 'Mail In'  bench flash is £246 inc vat and this also includes the licence fee from from Woolich Racing (£98.00). The o2 sensor plug and harness plug are £8 pair, and the return Special Delivery is £12 - Total £266
Turn around time is 1-2 days from receiving your ecu.

There is also the option to ride to the workshop and have you ecu removed, flashed and refitted. There is an additional cost for this service of £46 
There is no dyno time with the Bench flash. Allow about 1 1/2 hours  for a 'Ride In Ride out' bench flash.

Payment can be made by Paypal (friends & family) or Bank Transfer for 'Mail In' flash, details would be sent at the time, or cash and card payments can be taken if riding in to workshop.

Address to send ecu is :
S-Tec Performance
Unit 38
Centerprise House
Greenham Business Park
Thatcham
Berks
RG19 6HP 

#14 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:48 pm

Lovely bike. I'm keen for a fang on the Yammie triple, would be a new experience for me.

Also keen to know what Enduro you have. I'm leaning more and more to my dirt riding.

Inappropriate on Carpe, I know.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#15 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:12 pm

Also keen to know what Enduro you have. I'm leaning more and more to my dirt riding.

IMG-20190704-200116814-HDR.jpg

It's the last of (2016) the EXC200 models, 2t and a carb what's not to like?  :good:

First trip will be to the IOM for trail and green lane riding in a few weeks, I'm a newbie so I'll start off with that and see how I'm getting on and how much it hurts  :lol:

Signature test

#16 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:06 pm

That photo has an exceedingly high grin factor. Good choice of bike.

I'm considering something similar to replace my 250 which is a bit too heavy and rabid for the tight enduro.I ride.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#17 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:05 pm

That photo has an exceedingly high grin factor. Good choice of bike.

I'm considering something similar to replace my 250 which is a bit too heavy and rabid for the tight enduro.I ride.

Is your 250 is a 2t or a 4t? The 250 2t in the same model as mine is only a couple of kilos heavier, and I thought a 250 4t wouldn't be too rabid (Not that I'd know or anything) 

Its a whole new world to me, at 55 it's probably a bad idea to start off roading but I really want to give it a go, who knows, maybe I'll try motocross next  :lol:

Signature test

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:58 pm

I have a 93 CRM 250 2t, heavy and wilful compared to modern bikes. I'm 52 and riding off road helps with my mental and physical fitness. Bought a trials bike to improve my technique, very addictive and falling off is not too painful, the bike is only 80kg or so.

Riding off road improves my road riding as well, particularly slow speed stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users