52 replies to this topic

#41 Buzzo

Buzzo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:31 pm

Terrific thread. Thank you for taking the time to help others.

#42 hvass

hvass

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:15 pm

OK horror pics as promised 

http://metametrics.c...1109_100251.jpg

http://metametrics.c...1109_113344.jpg

http://metametrics.c...1109_113950.jpg

Can someone remind me which part of the generator normally burns out, this time it was 2 o'clock, trying to find/find a picture of my last one

My conclusion is given this has signs of overheating in more than one place while I am not discounting having cracked the shellac putting it in I am thinking that something I have or am doing has killed 2x generators.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tdm900a
mv v35 Imola
cb500x

#43 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:47 pm

OK horror pics as promised 

http://metametrics.c...1109_100251.jpg

http://metametrics.c...1109_113344.jpg

http://metametrics.c...1109_113950.jpg

Can someone remind me which part of the generator normally burns out, this time it was 2 o'clock, trying to find/find a picture of my last one

My conclusion is given this has signs of overheating in more than one place while I am not discounting having cracked the shellac putting it in I am thinking that something I have or am doing has killed 2x generators.

It looks very similar to mine. The worst of it is where the connecting wires attach to the stator bobbins. One of the poles looks to be particularly charred. The other signs of burning, IMHO, come after the initial burning, because there is then an additional load on the stator  - the initial load to power the bike and charge the battery, and then the fault load which comes later, caused by shorting. When i carefully examined mine the leadout wires were not very well supported and I put it down to vibration eventually getting the better of the shellac. Other people have also found failures to have happened in exactly the same area too.

I swapped for the 850 stator, and noted before installing it how much better the quality and amount of wire coating seemed to be

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#44 hvass

hvass

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:09 pm

It looks very similar to mine. The worst of it is where the connecting wires attach to the stator bobbins. One of the poles looks to be particularly charred. The other signs of burning, IMHO, come after the initial burning, because there is then an additional load on the stator  - the initial load to power the bike and charge the battery, and then the fault load which comes later, caused by shorting. When i carefully examined mine the leadout wires were not very well supported and I put it down to vibration eventually getting the better of the shellac. Other people have also found failures to have happened in exactly the same area too.

I swapped for the 850 stator, and noted before installing it how much better the quality and amount of wire coating seemed to be

Thanks did you use an oem 850 stator, a rewind or an Electrex stator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tdm900a
mv v35 Imola
cb500x

#45 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:02 pm

Thanks did you use an oem 850 stator, a rewind or an Electrex stator

It was OEM from an old 850, from ebay, £30 I think. I believe it also fits the VFR750 and also the Falco. It is, in theory at least, a little underpowered for the 900, but the 900 rotor has larger magnets which brings the output up a little bit. Anyway it's been in for at least 15000 miles and still works well

#46 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:56 pm

Given the OEM 850 looks better quality used, maybe the Electrex part is substandard and to be avoided?

BTW interesting thread. Mine has been ok so far......

Maybe worth cycling the battery to keep it alive if the bikes not being used much?

Edited by TKH, 09 November 2018 - 02:59 pm.

#47 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:27 pm

It was OEM from an old 850, from ebay, £30 I think. I believe it also fits the VFR750 and also the Falco. It is, in theory at least, a little underpowered for the 900, but the 900 rotor has larger magnets which brings the output up a little bit. Anyway it's been in for at least 15000 miles and still works well

Chris i thought all this time you were running on a bmw alternator, guess i missed the swap to 850.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#48 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:23 am

Chris i thought all this time you were running on a bmw alternator, guess i missed the swap to 850.

That rings a bell....I think I had figured that either an F650 or F800 (can't remember which) would fit, and I was trying to get hold of one.....I think in the end the 850 one appeared more quickly, more cheaply and so that was that

I remember there was another one which was about 1mm thicker which I thought would fit but was unsure if the mounting screws would then interface with the flywheel or not....maybe that was the BMW one ?   I'll try to find the thread now 'Alternate alternator' and figure out what i was carping on about :)

#49 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:34 am

I'll have to have a re-read, must of  missed a bit somewhere.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#50 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:45 pm

That rings a bell....I think I had figured that either an F650 or F800 (can't remember which) would fit, and I was trying to get hold of one.....I think in the end the 850 one appeared more quickly, more cheaply and so that was that

I remember there was another one which was about 1mm thicker which I thought would fit but was unsure if the mounting screws would then interface with the flywheel or not....maybe that was the BMW one ?   I'll try to find the thread now 'Alternate alternator' and figure out what i was carping on about :)

http://www.carpe-tdm...c=32601&hl=f650

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#51 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:26 pm

Lordy, was I smoking crack.... Then I agree with Dablik...it was an F650 stator...... but I know what's confused me is that I picked up PaBroon's (Paul) TDM850 and kept the stator , from the photo's both the TDM 850 and the BMW 650 stators are identical, down to the colour of the enameling, also someone had replaced theirs with another 850 stator, so i guess i started to interchange F650 with 850 instead of saying "replacement stator"

An 850 is the easiest to modify because you get the pickup and wiring with it and requires very little modification

I'm going to go back my crack pipe and some 70's classics

#52 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:38 pm

A'ha okay that's cleared that up, however i do remember mention of an 850 genny which is why i carried one as a spare in 2016 to Spain, would'nt of taken so long to change, were'nt needed as me 9r went terminal.

Edit...nice to know part of a beemer bike has been reliable :D

Edited by dablik, 10 November 2018 - 08:40 pm.

#53 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:31 pm

A'ha okay that's cleared that up, however i do remember mention of an 850 genny which is why i carried one as a spare in 2016 to Spain, would'nt of taken so long to change, were'nt needed as me 9r went terminal.

Edit...nice to know part of a beemer bike has been reliable :D

Hehehehe

How do you make a BMW last a long time ?

-Install it's components into another bike !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users