#21 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:33 am

My theory is that the vac pump gets a vac lock when left for a while without starting.  It can also be a problem if you're switching over to reserve and don't make it before the engine stalls, can take ages to get the fuel through again.

This would be one good reason for an electric pump! I've fitted one for my MkI, and after draining both bowls it started right off as float chambers are filled once you switch ignition to 'on'. just wait for the noise to stop  :P

Bjørge

#22 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:54 am

...checked the previously mounted chinese vacuum pump (~£10), diaphragm was a bit plagued but may still have worked OK ~6000kms later. Much better condition than the original one after ~23yrs which had a diaphragm the shape of a half lens (~3-4mm bulge).

I serviced the carbs ~2 years ago, having problem with stiffer float valve springs & have never got the fuel levels right. An insurance now, maybe, having installed electric pump (still in the process of adjusting fuel levels).

Bjørge

#23 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:33 pm

Just an update on the fuel pump.

The super cheap Chinese one arrived in a surprisingly short time !  It looked very similar to the original and was just a direct swap. The bike started and ran with first push of the button !

I left it for a couple of weeks, more due to circumstances than anything, and again, bit of choke, one push of the button and it fired up perfectly.  I ran it in the workshop long enough to warm up the engine and checked the balance of the carbs and it never missed a beat.

So here's hoping my $17 fuel pump works at least as well as the Quantum one at $50 (inc shipping)  and as good as the original part I see advertised for €268 .

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:35 pm

Bargain. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users