#1 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:10 pm

i'm after an estate car for towing bike trailers and carrying the usual crap around
only expected to do 4-5000 miles a year so not too worried bout fuel consumption
dont mind manual or auto, but would prefer black with leather interior (yes i'm a complete girl)

been thinking of a Subaru Legacy, anyone got any opinions of them?
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=130206890381
seem to be decent work horses, enough power to enjoy myself too....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:49 pm

At 78.000 its very near a BIG service with cam belts needing changed. I would check the price for its 80.000 mile service, other than that they are nice to drive & fast I nearly bought one a few years back but the service cost put me off.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:51 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ibeen thinking of a Subaru Legacy, anyone got any opinions of them?

Well I havent owned one but did look at buying the scooby imp and servicing is costly as you have to have one every 5,000 (but that would be once a year!!)I was told by a main dealer but might be wrong!!!
Prob chew tyres if driven prop talking of driving ohmy.gif you will have smiles wider than a black womans butt blink.gif
I test drove the scooby and Evo 7 and when thrashed wot superb cars absoulte headbangers, Think GSXR1000 but in a car excl.gif blink.gif rotflmmfao.gif
More grip that you can think of but will go over that point of no return without knowing apart from you headbutt that tree cos of the computer gimicks or driver aids keep you wrapped up in cotton wool until they say "Nope no more grip left have that!!" and throw the nearest tree at you at 150mph:huh:

But hey wots the point of having one of these cars and not thackin it once a week clapping.gif

Go buy it just for the fun value and sell it in a year time... yeahyeahyeah.gif

They do deprecaite quick so don't pay too much cost alot to insure and have a drink problem drinks.gif
Thats why I din't buy one cos I do about 13,000 a year.....

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:54 pm

i've been driving a rather highly tuned ghia-x mondeo for 8years so i'm used to thirsty motors & shreading toyo-t1s in 3000miles wink.gif

i'll check the service cost and if its been done, thnx for the heads up wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:18 pm

service on the legacy is every 7500miles/6months until 3years old, then 15,000miles/yearly after that
cambelt change every 45,000miles and 'major component' service (whatever that is) every 30,000miles
thanks to the service guy at Bulldog Subaru in Tywford for being uber helpful and pointing out what to check on that vehicle good.gif

think i'm gonna go fer this one cool.gif
anyone wanna buy a 98 s-reg mondeo ghia-x ? tongue.gif
(enough boot space for carrying a TDM850 wink.gif )

My TDM :

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:05 pm

Morris Minor Traveller?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:29 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morris Minor Traveller?

lol rotflmmfao.gif

My TDM :

#8 mecrox

mecrox

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:04 pm

I had a Subaru Forester till quite recently. Servicing charges were extremely high and the intervals low. Reliability was nothing special (ie. it was no more reliable than your average Ford, which means far from 100 per cent) and the awd system went through tires at quite a pace. After seven years and 75K miles, it became clear that an awful lot of parts would need replacing over the next couple of years, so I sold it. Sorry if this sounds negative but if you add up the total cost of ownership I'd be surprised if a used Ford/Peugeot/Toyota etc didn't offer better value. Also, Subarus are petrol-only and their mpg has never been the best (they have just introduced a diesel but models won't hit the secondhand market for a while). Their engines do offer tremendous torque, though, which is why they've always been pop for towing and countryside stuff.

#9 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:35 pm

Rav 4. They'll all think your Gay for a while but that soon passes.

#10 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:38 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rav 4. They'll all think your Gay for a while but that soon passes. Not unless he gets a new 900 too!! rolleyes.gif

Edited by jht, 19 March 2008 - 06:38 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#11 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:40 pm

Beemer 530! ...or even the 520 diesel should suffice for towing a bike.

EXCELLENT drive,
LOVELY straight six engine
not too bad service cost (lots of alternative suppliers for parts).

Should be able to find a cheap high mileage one.
Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#12 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:05 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rav 4. They'll all think your Gay for a while but that soon passes.

Or a Honda CRV rotflmmfao.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:09 am

i tink i was told be a previous Legacy owner that the enjun has to be partially dropped/pushed back to git at the spark plugs !!!! this true or no ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:30 am

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Galilee @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beemer 530! ...or even the 520 diesel should suffice for towing a bike.

EXCELLENT drive,
LOVELY straight six engine
not too bad service cost (lots of alternative suppliers for parts).

Should be able to find a cheap high mileage one.

that has been considered was looking at a 540, but the estate versions are rare and hold their value.

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i tink i was told be a previous Legacy owner that the enjun has to be partially dropped/pushed back to git at the spark plugs !!!! this true or no ??

blink.gif dry.gif unsure.gif

My TDM :

#15 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:19 am

What effect will being lowered have on the towing ability?

#16 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:37 am

blush.gif I own a Rav4 blush.gif

540 Tourers are a damn fine machine. V8, 14 mpg

damn fine machine

#17 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:00 am

Audi A6 2.5 v6 TDI......enough torque to pull down a house and vast inside. There's even a quattro version.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:41 pm

Another vote for E39 5-Series. Newer shape V70s are fine cars too, if you can take the abuse rolleyes.gif . My older S70 T5 is a proper old fart's car - but very little else can offer similar performance for such low purchase and insurance costs. Built like a brick sh*thouse, too! laugh.gif
Failing that, just get a Mundano. Nothing else is superior enough to justify the extra cost. tongue.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#19 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:52 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Thu 20th Mar 2008, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blush.gif I own a Rav4 blush.gif
540 Tourers are a damn fine machine. V8, 14 mpg

damn fine machine

Guess you'll be buying a 900 then unsure.gif rotflmmfao.gif

I've got Passat 1.9 Sport TDI 140 Bhp 6 speed gearbox, Will beet anything up to 2.5l petrol.. Top end of 145mph and the lowest mpg I've seen is 35 when thrashed and the most is 68 when curising at 65 but average of about 45-50mpg doing around 80-90.. tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:02 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
been thinking of a Subaru Legacy, anyone got any opinions of them?
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=130206890381
seem to be decent work horses, enough power to enjoy myself too....

Personally I'd steer well clear of anything with tinted windows lowered and suspension and engine mods because
a) it would make me wonder what else he's done to it
and
b) Subaru probably know more about suspension than Halfords.

Mate of mine had a Impreza turbo and the servicing costs were suprisingly low, however he was convinced they made the clutches out of chocolate. Depreciation is huge though (his lost £13k from new in about 4 years and was imaculate with a low mileage) so you can get them cheap. Dunno about the legacy but the imprezas are made of tin foil, everything bangs and rattles. If that's 280 bhp without any modifications then it means is the twin turbo so higher boost pressure could mean worse reliability? Should go like shit off a shovel though!

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users