27 replies to this topic

#1 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:53 pm

Being a absolute novice with electrical soldering and the black art.
This is how I fitted my DG8 I got from the Motorbike show last week.

Acumen do not have the TDM electrical wiring on their web site. So I posted the diagram from JBX
and Paul from acumen came up trumps with the following.

Acumen wire colours soldered to TDM 900 colours

Acumen Brown to Grey into ECU ( Tacho)
Acumen Orange to White / yelow into ECU (Speed)
Acumen Red to Red /white into ECU ( +ve)
Acumen Black to Black / white into ECU (-ve )
Acumen Green to light green into Dash board cluster ( neutral light)

ECU is on LHS under side panel, you have to unwrap the bundle to get to the wires.
The dash board cluster is the bundel above that goes off to the Dash board.

Soldering was fiddley, especialy since it was my first go at soldering ever !!!

Once you have soldered the correct wire to each other, switch the engine on to see if it works

I fitted it here on the dash as there was no need to drill to fit it.

Once it's in, make sure everything is wrapped up again, off you go.....

Easier than I thought.... good.gif

Cheers, Ivan

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:07 pm

Nice work for a first attempt. cool.gif

My tip when making these kind of joints: After taping up the soldered connection, gently run the side of the soldering iron tip over the end of the tape. This seals it and stops it from peeling away in the cold weather. good.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#3 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:46 pm

I fitted a DG8 to my 2007 ABS 9'er yesterday and thought I'd pass some additional info on for others to use.

When you look behind the left side fairing panel you'll see more electrical gubbins than those pictured above but the connection table below still mostly holds true. The only difference being the neutral light wire which is no longer light green but is now sky blue (a very light blue).

Acumen wire colours soldered to TDM 900 colours

Acumen Brown to Grey into ECU ( Tacho)
Acumen Orange to White / yelow into ECU (Speed)
Acumen Red to Red /white into ECU ( +ve)
Acumen Black to Black / white into ECU (-ve )
Acumen Green to SKY BLUE into Dash board cluster ( neutral light) see pic

### Any chance of moving this topic into the knowledge base as I found it to be a very useful script? ###

Attached Files

Edited by Baron, 17 March 2008 - 08:54 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#4 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:06 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Sun 16th Mar 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
### Any chance of moving this topic into the knowledge base as I found it to be a very useful script? ###

Agreed, (If any Mods or Admins do not agree just move it back here All About TDM). To KB pursuant to 'fact checking'.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#5 robgosty

robgosty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 187 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:38 pm

Fitted mine this evening, just a bit of info for others, mine is a 2002 900 and there are two grey wires going to ECU, if you connect to wrong one (like i did) wub.gif unit will not learn gears, if this happens no harm done just swop to the other one

Edited by robgosty, 28 March 2008 - 07:39 pm.

Yamaha XV 1000
Kawasaki GPZ 750
Honda CBR 1000F
Yamaha XV1100 Virago
Yamaha Yellow TDM 900
Suzuki Hayabusa

Current
2000 Yamaha XJR 1300

#6 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:01 am

QUOTE(Sparky @ Sun 9th Dec 2007, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work for a first attempt. cool.gif

My tip when making these kind of joints: After taping up the soldered connection, gently run the side of the soldering iron tip over the end of the tape. This seals it and stops it from peeling away in the cold weather. good.gif

Better still is to use heat shrink tubing; slide it over the cable, make solder or crimp joint, slide tubing over joint and shrink using a heat gun or hair dryer. You can buy this in different sizes from most electrical wholesalers.
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#7 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:17 am

wifgeni.gif and if you want a waterproofed connection you can get heat shrink tubing with heat activated glue as well. Maplin Link
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#8 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:26 am

QUOTE(Landy @ Sun 30th Mar 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wifgeni.gif and if you want a waterproofed connection you can get heat shrink tubing with heat activated glue as well. Maplin Link

Good point, forgot to mention that one and I was only using this 3 days ago whilst wiring some water treatment units...must be old age creeping in help.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#9 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:30 am

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Sun 30th Mar 2008, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better still is to use heat shrink tubing; slide it over the cable, make solder or crimp joint, slide tubing over joint and shrink using a heat gun or hair dryer. You can buy this in different sizes from most electrical wholesalers.

That's the best thing to use when joining ends, but when piggybacking onto existing wiring (as in this topic), you can't fit heatshrink unless you cut the wire you intend to join onto. I prefer not to do that. dry.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#10 Buzz

Buzz

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:50 pm

Self amalgamating tape has always done the job for me, always carry a roll, bloody marvellous for a get you home temp fix for all sorts of ills
NOSTALGIA IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE

#11 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:29 am

Surely there's a connector housing where each pin can be removed, soldered to & then re-inserted ? Easy & neat. good.gif

Even easier. Use posi-locks. biggrin.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 11 April 2009 - 01:10 pm.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#12 SpeedDevil

SpeedDevil

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:35 am

I'm sorry if I sound a bit stupid, but from what I see the only connections are +ve, -ve, tachometer, speed and neutral.

How does the gear indicator know what gear you are in?

Edited by SpeedDevil, 15 December 2010 - 11:39 am.

#13 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:49 pm

Why is the LED unit so bloody huge?
Surely there must be a slimline version.

If there was I would be tempted

#14 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:20 pm

What do you need a gear position indicator for anyway?
huh.gif

#15 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:02 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Wed 15th Dec 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you need a gear position indicator for anyway?
huh.gif

I would not be without one now.

Its handy going into corners in the right gear, makes the riding a lot smoother and I used to forget to go into 6th gear on the motorway.

Ride for miles in 5th.

Personal preferance realy . BM fookin W's have them, why not my TDM.
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#16 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:10 pm

QUOTE(SpeedDevil @ Wed 15th Dec 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry if I sound a bit stupid, but from what I see the only connections are +ve, -ve, tachometer, speed and neutral.

How does the gear indicator know what gear you are in?

It compares the speed with the revs (ie 80 mph @ 4000 revs = 6th gear) - if I remember correctly you have to go through a learning process to set it up.

I tried one on a Bandit I used to have but couldn't get a reliable reading - I used to spend my time working out myself what gear I was in then checking the unit. Decided that wasn't the idea and removed it.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#17 Backonthebike

Backonthebike

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:22 am

QUOTE(hallrob1 @ Thu 16th Dec 2010, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It compares the speed with the revs (ie 80 mph @ 4000 revs = 6th gear) - if I remember correctly you have to go through a learning process to set it up.

I tried one on a Bandit I used to have but couldn't get a reliable reading - I used to spend my time working out myself what gear I was in then checking the unit. Decided that wasn't the idea and removed it.

I'm from the side of the fence that likes a gear indicator. I put one on my Honda Blackbird because it was so smooth and free revving in the tight stuff you didn't know whether you were in 2nd or 4th, and like someone else said, you would ride for miles in 5th and forget to change up.
I had no problems calibrating it. The only time it gets confused is if you pop the clutch and coast up to a set of lights; zero revs and 40km/h it can't work out.
I have taken it off the Blackbird as it's for sale, and will keep it for my planned TDM.
Better get a lawyer son, better get a REAL good one..........

#18 magneto

magneto

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:17 pm

I just wish someone would make a 'You are now in top' indicator. Some Yamaha's (eg 900 Divvies) have a gearshift which gives free travel when in 1st or top - therefore you can tell with your foot instantly whether another gear is still available without shutting the throttle or pulling the clutch. Admittedly, I reckon if I only ever rode the same bike it would be unnecessary, but I don't. Gear indicators seem to suffer from lag, but if the parameter was simply rpm in relation to roadspeed surely that can't be too complex to find top gears range and light an led?

#19 Rocco

Rocco

sticking around

• 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:20 pm

I'm not interested in cutting main installation before ECU, would rather connect it to wires before dash board...

There should be tacho and speed signal too?

By the way, does anyone have service manual for 2008 ABS model, the one on jbx doesn't work for me...

#20 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:36 pm

QUOTE(magneto @ Mon 7th Feb 2011, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wish someone would make a 'You are now in top' indicator. Some Yamaha's (eg 900 Divvies) have a gearshift which gives free travel when in 1st or top - therefore you can tell with your foot instantly whether another gear is still available without shutting the throttle or pulling the clutch. Admittedly, I reckon if I only ever rode the same bike it would be unnecessary, but I don't. Gear indicators seem to suffer from lag, but if the parameter was simply rpm in relation to roadspeed surely that can't be too complex to find top gears range and light an led?

I did the JBX gear indicator mod but for 6th gear only. Just one small green LED on the dash is all i need.

Steve

Link - http://jbx9.free.fr/...x.php?page=GIND

Edited by SteveK, 01 March 2011 - 09:38 pm.

Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users