#1 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:08 pm

Changed my bars recently and now have buffering. The GIVI Flip that came with the bike cost the previous owner a whopping £85!

Chinese version arrived today and the quality is impressive, and at £14:30 delivered was worth the risk.

Will debrief after first test ride

Cats

Linky:

https://www.ebay.co....jgR4RdphNc-Bpbw

Attached Files

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:17 pm

Buffeting
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:20 pm

Mmmmm buffeting.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:52 pm

Yep buffering

#5 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:10 pm

The screen on the 2nd picture I also have lying around somewhere

#6 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:39 pm

Now you will have Chinese Buffet :P  :good:

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:26 am

To be fair you probably need the buffeting to build up your neck muscles so you can see those photos :P

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:51 pm

To be fair you probably need the buffeting to build up your neck muscles so you can see those photos :P

You'll have to excuse him Chris, he takes very few photos, so he's very inexperienced with a camera  :rotflmmfao:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:24 pm

What's the RAM mount on the right hand bar?  Some sort camera mount?  Not a fitting I've seen before

post-478-0-31989900-1595869566.jpg

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:48 pm

A cat-a-pault
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:04 pm

Im sorry for the photo angles. They loaded the right way up!

Chris G, it's my Samsung S3 video mount

#12 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:38 pm

I have both the smaller Givi version and the larger Chinese knockoff version.  The Chinese copy is a bit cheaper and already has a small hairline crack, but it serves its purpose well - especially given how much cheaper it is than the Givi.  I have been using the Chinese version for a while now since it is larger than the Givi I bought a few years ago.

#13 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:10 pm

Changed my bars recently and now have buffering. The GIVI Flip that came with the bike cost the previous owner a whopping £85!

Chinese version arrived today and the quality is impressive, and at £14:30 delivered was worth the risk.

Will debrief after first test ride

Cats

Linky:

https://www.ebay.co....jgR4RdphNc-Bpbw

I've also sent off to China for something that looks very similar, same price too.  

We'll compare notes then....

#14 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:52 pm

I'll wait to see what you guys think of them.

#15 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:19 pm

I've had the very same for some time. Fairly sturdy, certainly a good price/quality ratio. It didn't solve my turbulence problems, though. Not on the standard screen, nor on the very tall China one that I also got. It merely shifted it around more or less arbitrarily.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#16 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:08 pm

This was an earlier experiment which although absolutely hideous to look at works surprisingly well !  The problem I have right now is that my new full-face helmet is very susceptible to catching turbulence and I can end up with blurred vision...... which can be a bit of a nuisance !  I was going to attach the deflector to this screen to hopefully lift the airflow over my head and decrease turbulence.   But I thought, I should really be methodical about this and start from the beginning.  So I took off the Frankenscreen and fitted the deflector to the standard 3VD screen mounted as low as possible.  Today's weather was perfect.  I've got a quiet 7 km long straight road nearby and I had a 25km wind blowing directly along it.

After about a dozen runs up and down this road I've set the deflector as high as it will go and at an almost vertical angle and I'm very pleasantly surprised !  With a 25km tailwind, sitting at an indicated 110 km giving me an airspeed of 85 km  I get almost no buffeting around my helmet.  Turning round, and going into the headwind at an indicated 110 km giving me an airspeed of 135 km there is a bit of turbulence but not nearly bad enough to blur my vision.

I've no idea how aerodynamically efficient/inefficient this set up is, but I'm going to keep it as is for further long term testing.

For interest, I'm 175cm, my bars are standard but fitted with 30mm risers which allow me to sit upright in a position I find comfortable for all day riding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users