• Please log in to reply
2136 replies to this topic

#1621 hyde900

hyde900

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:36 am

Hello to forum folks. I'm 40 years old Finnish man who got back into motorcycling about 2 years ago (midlife crisis I think).
I had a RD125 about 23 years ago. I didn't ride it very much before I sold it. Then I did not ride any kind of motorcycle in 20+ years as I got into old VW's and had several old Bugs etc. during the years. For some reason I got bored with cars, so I had an idea of buying a motorcycle again. I had my eyes on TDM's, but also other type of bikes. So eventually I bought XJR 1200 for my first bike. It was beautiful and easier to ride than I thought. I owned it 1,5 years and I rode it 10000 km's. I noticed I had recently grown an interest to bike touring. I have plans and permit from my wife to go to a longer trip next summer. Ofcourse I would do it with my motorcycle.

Week ago I went to a dealer who had nice looking 2005 TDM 900 for sale. And I left my dear XJR there and rode home with TDM. 
TDM feels so different, mostly in a good way. Power and torque are obviously weaker than XJR. TDM feels so light and nimble, and much easier to handle. I feel more confident riding with TDM. And Teddy has panniers and it's capable to do gravel roads better. Fuel consumption is remarkably smaller. I'm very happy with the switch, alhough XJR is a nice bike and I had a lot of comments how good looking it was. I doubt that TDM is not getting that kind of attention, but that's not the reason to choose a bike for me.

That's mine! :) TDM 900 ABS 2005, about 51000 km's on clock.

IMG_0442.jpg

#1622 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:53 am

That's a good looking bike hyde, congrats on the buy and welcome to the forum, happy trails.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1623 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:55 pm

Hello from Nottingham,

I have just joined, and currently looking for a TDM 850. My current bike is an RD400, I have owned it for over ten years and intend to keep it forever. Next year I fancy going touring, and decided a TDM850 would fit the bill

zkzzzzzzz_zpsjamfxrzc.jpg

zkz_zpssoq2jkmb.jpg

#1624 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:03 pm

Welcome to the club Hyde and Chris.

Nice bikes them RD400's. :good:   I'll soon be selling a yellow TDM900 with hardcase panniers if you're at all interested Chris.  I'm also in Worksop so not a million miles from you. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1625 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:18 pm

Welcome to the club Hyde and Chris.

Nice bikes them RD400's. :good:   I'll soon be selling a yellow TDM900 with hardcase panniers if you're at all interested Chris.  I'm also in Worksop so not a million miles from you. :)

I think a 900 will be too 'new'

I would like to put it onto my classic bike policy, so needs to be 15 years old or older. Thanks anyway... I would prefer a yellow bike, although not essential

#1626 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:28 pm

Ah, mine's a 2002 model registered 07/05/2002.  Daaaang ! lol

I think Sidestand might be selling his 2000 mk2a 850. It's mechanically sound and reliable, had a full top end refurb less than 10k miles ago and uses very little oil for an 8fiddly.  Used to belong to me, see my sig. below :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1627 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:56 am

Welcome ! An old 850 would be a chocking torque curve antithesis to your RD :-)

Bjørge

#1628 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:36 am

Welcome, done exactly the same thing as you.

my TDM is on classic policy with the FZ and XS.

bought my TDM on Gumtree, much easier purchase than certain auction sites.

See you were at IOM, I do the classic TT

WP_20150826_008_zpspg9kasbz.jpg

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#1629 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:57 am

Welcome ! An old 850 would be a chocking torque curve antithesis to your RD :-)

I am 50 next year..... so about time for a change LOL

Welcome, done exactly the same thing as you.

my TDM is on classic policy with the FZ and XS.
bought my TDM on Gumtree, much easier purchase than certain auction sites.

See you were at IOM, I do the classic TT

WP_20150826_008_zpspg9kasbz.jpg

I have not yet done the classic, but it is on 'the list'

#1630 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:47 pm

Ah, mine's a 2002 model registered 07/05/2002.  Daaaang ! lol

I think Sidestand might be selling his 2000 mk2a 850. It's mechanically sound and reliable, had a full top end refurb less than 10k miles ago and uses very little oil for an 8fiddly.  Used to belong to me, see my sig. below  :)

I have looked at the pics :good:  :good:  I cant seem to be able to send sidestand a PM, what sort of price would he want???

#1631 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:00 pm

I've no idea Chris, but I'll get in touch with him and point him this way. :)

EDIT:  I've sent him a PM but will call him later tonite if he doesn't come on the site.

#1632 wildcard996

wildcard996

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:20 pm

After a couple of years away from bikes (work and a couple of knee ops) I decided I needed another bike. This is my second TDM, the first being an 850 to use as a commuter when I had my fireblade.

I've had this now for just over a month, added a give rack, top box, heated grips and hand guards, and put just over 3000 miles on it. New C&S and a back tyre as it was down to the canvas (without me noticing!). I have some engine bars and lights to fit this week.

Planning to put some more miles on it and maybe get slime touring done

IMG_2921.jpg

#1633 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:42 pm

Welcome to the club. :)  Nice bike, sounds like a keeper. :good:

#1634 speedo

speedo

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:58 pm

hi guys a newbie here just stolen ians 9er this week and collected her today looking forward to some rides out in the new yr cheers ian for your help and advice already got a europe trip planned for june next yr and thats why im adding this tdm to my collection of yam rds and a couple of kwaks good look with your mk1 hope the funds from today get it sorted regards dave

#1635 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:12 pm

You're more than welcome to join us on a rideout Dave. :good:

#1636 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:03 pm

hi guys a newbie here just stolen ians 9er this week and collected her today looking forward to some rides out in the new yr cheers ian for your help and advice already got a europe trip planned for june next yr and thats why im adding this tdm to my collection of yam rds and a couple of kwaks good look with your mk1 hope the funds from today get it sorted regards dave

roll on next spring...

#1637 martay

martay

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:56 pm

hi I am new here just got a tdm  had it 2 days its a    900 2003 which will be used to get me to work and back because my er5 is not to well come off it a few weeks ago and also for weekends to shows rallys as my bmw gs has got lots of wiring probs been living outside uncovered for a good few years  I quite like the tdm  I was after a versys 650 but noticed the tdm ad checked out some reviews and got the tdm been riding 40 years started on a Yamaha fizzy    anyway    that's it for know    sorry can not do pics and etc not to good with techy stuff as you can for my post no capitals or full stops

thanks    martin       I am in essex 

#1638 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:00 am

Welcome, martay !  :good:

Bjørge

#1639 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:27 pm

Welcome to the club Martin. :)

#1640 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:26 pm

welcome Martin :D

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users