#1 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:43 pm

hey folks, has anyone tried a lithium battery instead of the gel type in a 9er?
https://smile.amazon...k/dp/B073CW43YS

I havent ridden in years but still have 3 TDMs and i'm out of work at mo so thought i'd get 1 or 2 of them back on the road while I have the time.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:14 pm

Lee Henty is ya man Tony, he has fitted one.. welcome back stranger :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:35 pm

Amazing, I was just looking at these this morning and wondering........

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:37 pm

i ordered a yusa for the moment, as i'm intending to sell the 2nd 9er at some point.
but if people have good things to say about the lithium i'll get one for the old 9er

Lee Henty is ya man Tony, he has fitted one.. welcome back stranger :good:

tanks mate

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:29 pm

I fitted a lithium battery very good starting torque. But you can't use a normal optimate on it.
I went for the Shido LT12B-BS 60Wh. Which is effectively 5 ah at 12 volts.
The advantage is you can use 95% of that instead of the 40% of lead acid.
Also it's the same physical size as the old one. No sticky spacers or anything.
They are Lithium Iron Phosphate so they don't blow up or catch fire.
They also put back the charge you used to start the bike in the first six mins of running.

Edited by leehenty, 28 June 2020 - 03:45 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:44 pm

.....But you can't use a normal optimate on it.

didnt know that! thanks for info
went for the same battery as you that also came with the shido charger.

My TDM :

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:47 pm

Something to do with normal optimate using high volts pulse to stop sulphation. LiPO4 don't like it.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:56 pm

The self discharge rate for lithium phosphate is much less than lead acid, meaning the need for maintenance charging is much reduced. 

Lead acid self discharges at about 3% - 4% per week. Lithium phosphate at about 3% - 4%  per month.

I bought a used LiFePo4 (lithium iron phosphate) Shido for my KTM, it's been great. The overall capacity of the battery I would say is less than the equivalent lead acid, but it provides a good starting current, and recharges very quickly.  Good for £20, ithad been fitted to an unfinished project and never abused.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:39 pm

thanks mate

oh well so much for having time to sort out bikes, can you start new job wednesday morning.... back on the road i go :cool:

My TDM :

#10 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:10 pm

thanks mate

oh well so much for having time to sort out bikes, can you start new job wednesday morning.... back on the road i go :cool:

Well done on the new job, Tony. Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:52 pm

Well done on new job, extra beer tokens for bike fixing

#12 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:58 pm

I use a JMT 12v 36Wh in my KTM 690 Duke and charge it with an Oxford Oximiser 3X. Works well and brings the weight below 150kg  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:57 pm

I use a JMT 12v 36Wh in my KTM 690 Duke and charge it with an Oxford Oximiser 3X. Works well and brings the weight below 150kg  :pimp:

I thought the 690 was heavier than that. If they are that light I'm back interested in one again. After the 620 I've been running I don't want to carry more weight but a tad more power for the straights would be fun !

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:33 pm

I thought the 690 was heavier than that. If they are that light I'm back interested in one again. After the 620 I've been running I don't want to carry more weight but a tad more power for the straights would be fun !

If you do, go for a post 2016 model with an additional balancer shaft on the camshaft https://www.bennetts...test-and-review

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:38 pm

If you do, go for a post 2016 model with an additional balancer shaft on the camshaft https://www.bennetts...test-and-review

After a 620 and huge vibes anything is an improvement. I was tempted to go for the silly bugger ktm 660, but that vibrates even worse. Bit of a jump in prices for the 690 but I saw a couple last year below £2700

#16 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:08 pm

After a 620 and huge vibes anything is an improvement. I was tempted to go for the silly bugger ktm 660, but that vibrates even worse. Bit of a jump in prices for the 690 but I saw a couple last year below £2700

You're welcome to have a try on mine

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:37 pm

You're welcome to have a try on mine

That would be great thanks. Maybe later in the year. ?

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:55 pm

That would be great thanks. Maybe later in the year. ?

PM me - taking it for a trackday on the 17th at Knockhill - hopefully still in one piece after it...................................  :pimp:

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:34 am

PM me - taking it for a trackday on the 17th at Knockhill - hopefully still in one piece after it...................................  :pimp:

Would love to go but I'm working in Cornwall for three weeks starting on Monday. Keep it one piece !

#20 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:12 am

Use them in my  Husky good starting power,will turn over faster as they warm up,cant use pulsating current as Lee says but they do ok on an over charge so if needed I just use the 2amp level on the car charger for 5mins to give a boost if needed (sometimes the old 450 I used didnt want to start).They dont like the cold so if parked outside may cause issues but in a garage no.Far lighter than a normal battery,hold the charge well and I have two that are 5 years old and still working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users