• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bowie

bowie

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:35 am

I come to a TDM from a Yamaha XJ6.  So the experience is as you would expect, in that I giggle at the torque these things have.

With the XJ6 you could crack the throttle and at 5k the thing would come alive and the front end would just hover above the road until you snapped another gear.  Giving this thing a squirt on my favourite highway on ramp, it's throwing me back in the seat.

I was prepared for it to be good down low, but I wasn't prepared for that torque to continue on over the full rev range.

What a mad ol' bike.

Edited by bowie, 11 October 2020 - 10:18 am.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:11 pm

Might wanna get some new head bearings if ya keep poppin wheelies  :)  it's a step up innit  :good: have fun.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 October 2020 - 06:11 pm

They're most fun on the back roads as I'm sure you'll find out.

Enjoy it! :good:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#4 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:16 pm

I used to have an XJ6. For 1200 miles. Lots of fun but the revs it needed were not to my taste. Thought i would get used to it but never did. I have to say though there were zero vibrations! Sooo smooth. I installed a Scotoiler E. It detects engine vibes to start oiling and it just wouldn't! Had to fabricate a new, thinner bracket for the controller to make it work.

#5 bowie

bowie

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:40 am

Yeah the XJ6 was a comfortable thing!

I had the TDM in to the local bike shop to have a look at things I don't understand, and despite it's 92,000km, nothing significant to note.  All bearings are fine, no adjustments needed to any of the valves, shock seals are good, you kids aren't wrong saying these things are well made.

Incidently the shop gave me a MT03 to hoon.. ride around on whilst of course they were waiting for the weird tyres to come in (ended up with Pirelli Angle GT's incidently) and heck those little things are a bundle of fun!   I'm going to keep my eye open for a dropped learner bike and turn it into a track nugget.  There is always something fun about being WOT everywhere :P

So everything is great, now to find that mythical "free time" to enjoy the thing.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:51 pm

I ran a pre-diversion xj6 for a couple of years as a despatch bike. A bit top heavy on wet cobbles and I never made profit because I liked to pin the throttle over 5k which ate chains, sprockets, tyres etc..... I think it was the same engine they fitted to the FZ600. 72HP and it came in with a rush :)

Since then I've tried the Diversion xj6 variety, very steady going, nice linear power delivery, reliable, stable and that's all.

I agree the TDM900 has lot more to offer

Edited by fixitsan, 30 December 2020 - 07:52 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:47 pm

I ran a pre-diversion xj6 for a couple of years as a despatch bike. A bit top heavy on wet cobbles and I never made profit because I liked to pin the throttle over 5k which ate chains, sprockets, tyres etc..... I think it was the same engine they fitted to the FZ600. 72HP and it came in with a rush :)

Since then I've tried the Diversion xj6 variety, very steady going, nice linear power delivery, reliable, stable and that's all.

I agree the TDM900 has lot more to offer

the FZ600 only had 60hp due to the smaller carbs they had to fit.

Yamaha shoehorned the engine into an FZR400 chassis to make the fz600

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:21 pm

the FZ600 only had 60hp due to the smaller carbs they had to fit.

Yamaha shoehorned the engine into an FZR400 chassis to make the fz600

Ah interesting.

I had previously overlooked the power difference. I guess the hop up trick of the day was to find some XJ carbs to fit ?

I had a lot of fun on my old XJ

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:02 pm

Ah interesting.

I had previously overlooked the power difference. I guess the hop up trick of the day was to find some XJ carbs to fit ?

I had a lot of fun on my old XJ

if you fitted the larger carbs, you had to ditch the airbox. CV carbs don't like disturbed air that pods create

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users