#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:37 am

Ok I'm guilty, had to scratch an itch and test rode a Nikken.
Effectively a Tracer 900 with a really fancy two wheel front end. It goes really well, engine is the MT09 with a heavy crank and remapping. Bike feels a bit top heavy. Cornering is great, seat very nice. I liked the really complex well engingeered front end it feels very planted. Brakes are not as good as my TDM blue spots. Small 18 litre tank make it looking for fuel at about 150 miles.
It's the £14,500 that's the deal breaker.
Looking around online shows lots of the for sale with sub 1500 miles on.

My practical head on, how would you fix that complex front end years down the line ? Lots of precision bearings and links.

Riding home on my TDM got me thinking,how good it rides for it's age. 10years in developing the Nikken front end hasn't really got that much up on the TDM.

Sorry Yamaha, very nice engineering,well done making it work and very brave to produce it in the market But practicality and simplicity, rules over complexity. Sticking with my 18 year old TDM thanks.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:09 am

My thoughts exactly Lee. I look at that beautifully engineered front end and wonder how many British winters will that last before it needs a costly overhaul. I always admire Yamaha for trying new things, but I'm struggling to see this avenue of development lasting much longer. That said, I'd love to see pro-am Niken racing, just like the old LC350 series! Imagine 25 of them going into Redgate on the first lap at Donington  :clapping:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#3 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:14 am

Nice one Lee.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:38 am

i thought all bearings were precision bearings :) (well FAG etc are)

does look complex but I love the defazio front ends, so what do I know  :lol:

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:24 am

The big triple centre bearing looks like a proprietary part to me. I think special tools would be needed to replace it. Then there are adjustments for angles or toe in, which would need some sort of jig. Not a home maintenance bike.
That said, if I was a wealthy man I'd have one in garage just so I could admire that front end now and then. It's so unusual.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:33 am

Saw an old guy rock up on one at the green hut a few weeks ago.  Not convinced on the looks of it but it does get your attention.  More of a novelty than a practical bike imho.

No wheelies then Lee ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:47 am

The Japs do this sort of thing every now and again don't they. I mean they bring out something that must have cost millions to develop but hasn't got a hope in hell of selling in any numbers. Thinking of Yam's hub centre steering tourer in the 1980s, Suzuki's RE5 rotary in the 70s, Honda's strange cocktails of scooters cum motorbikes of more recent years. I wonder if they are really just design exercises or training fodder for apprentices (if they still exist).

Makes yer wonder..... :wacko:

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:37 pm

I'd had a good hard look at the Nikken but the price is just too much. The looks don't do anything for me but I was thinking from the safety/handling side of things.

I had the same feeling about my 9'er after I had a test ride on an NC750 DCT. I got home and sat on my 9'er and there was no comparison. SWMBO made a comment that it looked more like a 250 than a 750 sealed it for me at the time.

#9 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:25 pm

Not that I ever ride in the wet, but if I did the muck it chucks all over you would be a big disadvantage for me.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#10 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:55 pm

I just looked it as not heard of it, ghastly looking thing! I'm sure there's some lovely engineering gone into it but no, just no......

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#11 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:00 pm

I'm simply awaiting the 2nd hand pricing to be affordable then I'm having one. Of all my fellow biking chums it's just me that likes them.

Like Lee it's the engineering that attracts me, and how different to a standard bike. And I'd love to know how the tyres are changed!

Just a matter of time

Cats

Attached Files

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:00 pm

They're used a lot by the camera crew during the cycling road races.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:24 pm

Someone has clearly spent a lot of time and money developing this. I like innovation,I'd have a go pro mounted looking under it watching it all work just because it's fascinating. Only CNC milling could make this possible.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:48 pm

They just need to invent a device to make it easy to clean. Must be a mare cleaning all the plumbing and mechanicals on the front end, and then there's the engine.  1 hour ride and 4 hours cleaning it. :huh:

#15 Raa

Raa

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:30 pm

Looks like a perfect bike for the emergency services - massive grip even in terrible weather and can carry tonnes of gear. I wouldnt be surprised if we see some 3-wheeled rozzers coming our way soon. That might make it a more (or less?) attractive proposition to the man on the street. 

#16 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:59 pm

I'm simply awaiting the 2nd hand pricing to be affordable then I'm having one. Of all my fellow biking chums it's just me that likes them.

Like Lee it's the engineering that attracts me, and how different to a standard bike. And I'd love to know how the tyres are changed!

Just a matter of time

Cats

So that's me put firmly in my place then, Martin

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:18 am

To change front tyres you need a special stand, only a few dealer's have them and Yamaha don't sell them. Abba skylift would do it, but it's expensive. Givi make luggage for it so someone's buying them.
I would like one in the stable but I can only be a two bike man and couldn't lose my Niner for it.

Edited by leehenty, 03 July 2020 - 08:21 am.

#18 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:51 am

They just need to invent a device to make it easy to clean. Must be a mare cleaning all the plumbing and mechanicals on the front end, and then there's the engine.  1 hour ride and 4 hours cleaning it. :huh:

That device is ME Studders!!!

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:21 am

Looks cool corner craving in the Alps

#20 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:22 am

Yamaha acquired the patents for a similar concept, far simpler in its construction, that was developed by a small Norwegian enthusiast company. It appears to be a number of models in the pipeline based on this construction.

https://www.carandbi...eanster-1795864

And in Norwegian, for those wishing to start learning a non-EU language (with some more pics): https://www.tu.no/br...ha-motor/431108

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users