9 replies to this topic

#1 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:41 pm

well after adjusting shims going to set fuel levels in carbs - now i have the calibrated hose - but i just cannot get it to read properly - only just moving above level line on float bowls -

is there a knack to this? or might it be that my fuel levels are that low that it is only just climbing above the mark on teh float bowls?

suggestions welcome

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:24 pm

A couple o suggestions :)  Make sure the float bowl screws are opened a good 2-3 turns and make sure the fuel supply to carbs has a good head height.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:59 am

I have a problem seeing how one can read these levels so accurately - easily miss a mm or two on readings ?

Bjørge

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:19 am

I marked the Float bowls using some tape.

5734026300_526d2e7b56_z.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:05 am

Yeah, but +-0.5mm !!! - do you measure at the bottom of the gasoline "column" or the average ? 

I really have a problem believing that these measurements are reliable within 1mm. 

BTW, how did you (if the picture is taken by you) manage to do this setup with carbs out of the bike ?

Bjørge

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:19 pm

I just get the measurement as close as possible.  As you say, 1mm is not a lot to play with.

I set the carbs up on my wooden stepladders so that they're at the same angle as they would be when fitted to the bike and use a remote fuel supply to feed the carbs.

#7 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:19 pm

I set the carbs up on my wooden stepladders so that they're at the same angle as they would be when fitted to the bike and use a remote fuel supply to feed the carbs.

that is the approach i am going to adopt  - measured roughly angle they sit at and will reproduce that on bench and make sure temporary fuel supply is high enough

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#8 overthrottle

overthrottle

sticking around

• 25 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:40 am

I found that if I removed the battery box (very simple to do, just two easy to access bolts) I had a lot more room to do this on the bike. That way I was able to make sure the carb angle was correct, and I also was able to use the fuel pump on the bike (I installed an electric fuel pump at the same time to eliminate the plague of vacuum pump problems potentially stranding me).  It's important that the fuel line pressure be the same as what the bike will see, because that can also influence the carb fuel level (the fuel pressure will push on the float needle, resisting the carb float from closing fully).

I just used a spare length of clear fuel line, and I made a line with a permanent marker, and then two more dots for the proper distance from the line.  As long as I hold the fuel hose line next to the line on the carb, the dots will indicate the correct height (min and max).

Worked pretty well for me. I had a couple issues in the beginning getting air bubbles out of the fuel hose, but once I had them burped out, it worked really well.

Attached Files

Edited by overthrottle, 01 October 2014 - 02:46 am.

#9 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:07 am

I basically did the same method Overthrottle used.  I drew a line and lined it up on the carb and then marked where the fuel level was.  I could then pull the fuel line back to easily measure the distance.  Of course, the lines I drew were probably .5mm thick each, so who knows if I was actually in the correct range.  But I figure it gets it as close as is reasonable possible. 

#10 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:36 pm

well with a bit of perseverance and the pictures above, plus some springs fitted over the tube to stop it kinking, i managed to measure the fuel height. Bad news is they are low - 4mm left, and 5mm right carb - so some fiddly tinkering to adjust

thanks to all that responded

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carbs, fuel, tuning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users