• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ParallelTwinz

ParallelTwinz

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:11 am

Greetings from Sunny Alabama!   I picked up a Laser exhaust system for my 93 TDM 850 to replace the "Starship Enterprise" stock system.  Does anyone have any experience in converting to the Laser with regard to carb tuning requirements?  Will stock jets and needles work with a bit of air screw adjustment, or is this a complex tuning exercise?  Anyone have a cheat sheet on what needles/jets work with this setup?  

#2 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:43 am

easiest way is fit the system and do a plug check might need no jetting 😎

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:07 am

I had stock jets with a Laser Pro Stock 2-1-2 system and it ran fine.  Don't recall having to fettle the carbs but the pilots might have had a tweak.  Certainly didn't need to adjust the needle height.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:37 am

I had a laser prostock and it ran fine with no carb fettling either, I did have a K&N filter on as well which I think means they run a bit leaner. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:49 pm

I put a Delkevic 2 into 1 on my 1993.  When researching that, most things I saw said no jetting was needed.    Of course, most posts come from the EU, not the USA, so I don't know if US bikes come jetted differently (i.e. leaner).  I think all the Mk1 bikes come with a bit of a lean spot in the lower rpm ranges.

But with that said, I couldn't get rid of my lean spot so I went up one size to 40s, but still couldn't fully get rid of it.  I recently went to 42.5 and it is running really nice at about 2.5 to 3 turns out.  Other than cleaning and replacing worn carb parts (tubes, choke plungers), the carbs are otherwise stock except for the pilots.  I am running an OEM air filter. 

I noticed several US riders were running 42.5s even on the stock exhaust over in the TDM thread on ADVrider.  So, maybe the answer is that the exhaust won't change anything, but it is too lean stock.  So if your bike is running well how it is, changing the exhaust may not change anything.  But if it is running well, it could be the pilots were already swapped. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tuning, exhaust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users