#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:27 am

..... it is possible that, after removing tank on my 4TX recently, I did 'exactly what it says on the tin' (above)
- in spite of concentrating hard not-to. - I'm talking the hidden underneath two, not the on/off/reserve tap ones.
If i've done that, would I lose my 'Reserve' facility?.....which I appear to have done.
Also - given that I always fill to the brim, and expect 130-160ish miles before refill, had I done the wrong-way-round thing, would that have anything to do with grinding to a halt with 119 on the clock last night?
(thanks AA)
..........Jiff ( yes, him again, seem to be on a bad run recently......'All This Will Pass')

#2 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:36 am

Quite possible. I've managed this before.

What I'd be inclined to do is whip the tank off again. Pop the hoses off, turn the tap to res & blow down the hoses (a bit of fuel will shoot out) that should show which hose should go to reserve.

Dare say someone may have a different way.

Your economy is pants if your only doing 130-160 miles to the tank.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#3 jonnyaztec

jonnyaztec

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:58 am

It is possible that you have the pipes connected correctly but one of them (reserve) is kinking as you refit the tank and thus restricting the flow of fuel! I had this recently due to poor quality/thin wall fuel hose.

#4 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:29 am

Top tip; coloured tiewraps on corresponding hoses and fittings saves a right fook on the next time its disassembled.

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#5 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:30 pm

OK......so back to school

The two pipes from the under-tank tap go to what the HBL call the 'remote' tap (which I call the ON / OFF / RES tap.......)

From Rolfie's post above, it appears that one goes to the RES side, and presumably the other goes.?.....to the ON side?

And if I understand correctly........
with the 'remote' tap set to RES, Rolfie proposes that I disconnect both the two pipes from the under-tank tap (tap off first!).........
.....and blow down one or another?........and when I do that......... and a bit of fuel comes out of the other? .....is that right?
.......and that tells me?.....that the one the fuel comes out of is the RES pipe?

If I've understood correctly so far, my logic tells me that maybe the UPPER connection on the 'remote' tap serves the RES setting, purely because the RES lettering is at the top of the 'remote' tap, and by implication the LOWER connection serves the ON setting,
by the same logic, the ON lettering is at the bottom of the 'remote' tap.
Fine....
but at the under-tank tap, which connection feeds the RES pipe, and which the ON pipe?
The way the pipes sit comfortably, it appears that the pipe from the UPPER connection on the 'remote' tap (RES?) runs to the more forward outlet on the under-tank tap, and the pipe from the lower connection on the 'remote' tap (ON?) goes to the more rearward outlet.

Is this still correct?............Very sorry to be so pedantic......but it feels a better alternative than 'suck it and see' ....and carry a gallon can with you in case you made the wrong guess!

........who else, but Jiff.

#6 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:50 pm

.....I'm probably breaking all the rules, and about to be 'Moderated' into oblivion.......but If I'm still allowed to exist on this planet, I'd be V. grateful if a kind & knowledgable soul would help me out.....
by reading the topic 'under tank pipes wrongly connected.'.......in the All About TDM section.....
Thanks....Jiff.

#7 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:58 pm

Look at the fuelfilter assembly, the longer one will connect to on and the shorter one to reserve

Edited by Lightning, 29 March 2014 - 02:00 pm.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

#8 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:10 pm

[quote name="Lightning" post="293375" timestamp="1396101485"]Look at the fuelfilter assembly, the longer one will connect to on and the shorter one to reserve[/quote

.......not aware of filter assembly on my 4TX ( '96 -'97).....no reference to it in literature I can find .......only for '99 & (I think) 3VD

thanks for input though......Jiff.

#9 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:22 pm

Number 26, the front pipe is on the rear is reserve

bef67dc83612754987416ddd0de19d31.png

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:42 pm

The filter assembly is inside the tank.  The shorter of the two filters is the reserve pipe outlet and is the one nearest the rear of the tank.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:01 pm

The filter assembly is inside the tank.  The shorter of the two filters is the reserve pipe outlet and is the one nearest the rear of the tank.

.......Oh sorry!.....it was the reference to 'filter' that flummoxed me.....yes, thanks for that, both, I'd arrived at about the same place almost simultaneously, via a mention in the Owners Manual, of all places, which ( for future reference / benefit of others) points out that the pipe that connects to the Res outlet on the 'main fuel cock' (under-tank tap, in my terms) has a (black plastic) ring on it, near the tank end of the pipe......and, if you can manage to turn the tank upside-down (pretty full in my case) you will see that 'Res' is stamped on the underside of rearmost outlet of the under-tank tap......phew!
How many mis-apprehensions can I perpetuate in one day?
Thanks again , guys.......Jiff.

#12 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:08 pm

.........Much of what is contained in my previous posting (above) is incorrect, or based on incorrect assumptions, the correct solution is contained in the next-but-one topic.......'under tank pipes etc'

.....Jiff (humble)

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:22 pm

Why didn't you post this in your existing thread jiff???
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:14 pm

[quote name="dapleb" post="293389" timestamp="1396120927"]Why didn't you post this in your existing thread jiff???[/quote

......can't quite remember..........probably was in mid-operation, confronted with 'life or death' conundrum....and suddenly was desperate for some guidance......and have this perception that older topics, buried in sub-forums, aren't picked up so readily as something
'hot off the press'.........
I was aware I'd probably not behaved like an officer and gentleman.....my apologies......am prepared to have my epaulettes ripped off!

.....Jiff. (on bended knee)

#15 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:18 pm

Make him stand by his bed ,Dappers :punishment:

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:35 pm

Just wandering if its a forum prob or summat that we can help ewe to fix but if its just that its your preference then thats a bonus

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#17 dhatfiel

dhatfiel

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:21 pm

My question is this: Where does (?) vent hose #39 go to? Under the bike to ground? I have a 1992 California sold bike that has this running to, the carburetor. Have not found the schematic for a California 1992 TDM.

There is another under-tank nipple, not shown on this schematic, that has a  connection to an evaporator cannister, that I just removed, on advice of friend who likes air pollution. We simply plugged this hose off and removed the canister, which was fastened on left side of motor. This was all done by a Yamaha service tech as part of a big tune up, and he did not indicate there would be any issues. Hope not.

Edited by dhatfiel, 30 March 2014 - 05:24 pm.

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:52 am

Yes, it runs to the ground. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:19 pm

Just wandering if its a forum prob or summat that we can help ewe to fix but if its just that its your preference then thats a bonus

.......not sure what you're asking, but I hope this response relates to your query?

........It's interesting (maybe / not ?)......
Whenever I visit - maybe 3 or 4 times a day - and unless I have a particular mission / problem which, say, the 'Search' facility / 'Knowledge Base'e can help me with, I go to 'Recent Topics' directly, as my first point of contact. This is on the basis , I guess, that what's new since my last visit is most likely to engage my interest......and I presume (maybe wrongly) that everybody else (especially 'regulars') follows the same 'routine'.
My attention is thus not drawn to new posts in already existing topics in what I'll call 'sub-forums'....All About TDMs for instance....
I also thus assumed in this case, that (knowledgeable) folk who were also frequent visitors, might not see my 'desperate / urgent plea for help'.....if it were just tacked on to the end of an already existing topic, hidden somewhere in the bowels.......so I thought it stood the best chance of being picked up / responded to, PDQ, by appearing in 'Recent Topics'......
Didn't feel like 'queue jumping', but still carried a hint of not-cricket-ness, in my sub-conscious!

Is that an appropriate answer to the Q?............Jiff.

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:55 pm

So it sounds loike the problem was with finding your existing topic....If you want to find a post that you have contributed to then just hover over yer username and click on "find content".

I think alot of peeps ewes the "View New Content" option which you can also set a time limit for: "Since last visit", "2 days" "8 weeks" "5 years" ok maybe those aint the options but you get the idea.

You can also click on "follow this topic" which will help you keep track.

I merged your topics so that anyone trying to help you could see the previous pieces of the puzzle, this does not hide the post in the bowels but the opposite, it raises the other parts of the puzzle from the 2 days or however long ago they were posted and plonks the whole lot at the top of the "new content" list.

Posting this:

.....I'm probably breaking all the rules, and about to be 'Moderated' into oblivion.......but If I'm still allowed to exist on this planet, I'd be V. grateful if a kind & knowledgable soul would help me out.....
by reading the topic 'under tank pipes wrongly connected.'.......in the All About TDM section.....
Thanks....Jiff.

didnt raise the 'under tank pipes wrongly connected.' thread to the top of the "new content" list but rather sent anyone trying to help on a magical mystery tour. :lol:

The post would go to the top of the "new content" list regardless of it being an addition to an existing post or a new thread so there is no issue with queue jumping.

My initial thought was that you were having trouble navigating the forum with yer fancy patoota device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users