36 replies to this topic

#1 vindice

vindice

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:47 pm

Hello chaps.

New member, lusting after a new bike. I'm currently trying to decide between a Vstrom and a TDM. I'd prefer the TDM due to the size making it more comfortable for two-up touring. The problem is, I need to fit it into an outhouse with a fairly narrow door - 76cm to be precise. Now, I can waggle the bars a fair bit, but how wide is the body/indicators? The fairing looks to be almost as wide as the bars, which might cause a problem. How about the dual exhaust? Will it fit?

Here's the yard and outhouse door so you can see the issue. The bike has to be reversed in to the yard through the gate and down the ramp on the right of the picture next to the window the photo was taken through.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:56 pm

Waggling something into an outhouse.....what model are ya after?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:19 pm

Easy widen the door. Then any bike will do. good.gif

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#4 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:11 pm

Don't you already have a V-Strom - I mean the blue thing near the door ? tongue.gif

Edited by JBX, 18 December 2010 - 08:11 pm.

top_640.png

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:45 pm

The standard zorst on an 850 is 56cm wide at the end of the cans smile.gif

Can't measure 'owt else at the mo, but it's a start for ya.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:57 pm

QUOTE(JBX @ Sat 18th Dec 2010, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you already have a V-Strom - I mean the blue thing near the door ? tongue.gif

Noooo thats a 900!!!! rotflmmfao.gif

Baboomtish tongue.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#7 vindice

vindice

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:05 pm

Probably after a 900; call it somewhere in the £2-3k range - maybe a 52 plate '02 TDM900? I'd be intending to fit luggage, but the rack won't extend any further than the exhausts so that won't make any difference.

I know it's 15kg lighter than my current GSX750 which will be nice.

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:03 am

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sat 18th Dec 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noooo thats a 900!!!! rotflmmfao.gif

Baboomtish tongue.gif

Digging up the mole from the v-strom forum was not that difficult... rolleyes.gif

top_640.png

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:52 pm

Come on you 9'er guys, thought you'd all be jumping at the chance to compare fairing widths !

Get yer tape measures oot and help the poor fella rolleyes.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,744 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:11 pm

Hang on fella,,, gis 5 mins or so and i go measure for ya, fook forgot about this an i just covered im up again,,,,

Okay side fairing width is 60cm (23.5") thats a generous measurement
Indicators the same
Exhaust is 60cm outside edge to edge but mine are lasers and i think the OEM may be a tad wider,, still leaves ya room for a Niner though and you will defo have to waggle the bars.

But please take ur own measurements if ya look at one as idont want to be responsible for ya having to build a garage to house if it should'nt fit laugh.gif

Edited by dablik, 19 December 2010 - 01:23 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 vindice

vindice

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:33 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hang on fella,,, gis 5 mins or so and i go measure for ya, fook forgot about this an i just covered im up again,,,,

Okay side fairing width is 60cm (23.5") thats a generous measurement
Indicators the same
Exhaust is 60cm outside edge to edge but mine are lasers and i think the OEM may be a tad wider,, still leaves ya room for a Niner though and you will defo have to waggle the bars.

But please take ur own measurements if ya look at one as idont want to be responsible for ya having to build a garage to house if it should'nt fit laugh.gif

Thank you very kindly. Sounds good to me.

Now all I have to do is find one to do a quick visual measurement of - and make sure that my stumpy little legs can reach the floor - and I'm set.

#12 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,744 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:41 pm

Well dont let being a tad short of leg put you off,, there low anyway but it would still be worthwhile if ya needed have the seat adjusted,, and i'm quite sure the v-strom is a bit more portly than the TDM,,, one thing though vindice,,,,, prepare to have ya masculinity abused by this lot when ya get a gay bike m8 biggrin.gif
Look at the avatar they make me use.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 vindice

vindice

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:51 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well dont let being a tad short of leg put you off,, there low anyway but it would still be worthwhile if ya needed have the seat adjusted,, and i'm quite sure the v-strom is a bit more portly than the TDM,,, one thing though vindice,,,,, prepare to have ya masculinity abused by this lot when ya get a gay bike m8 biggrin.gif

Nah, that's OK - I look like a gay Si King anyway.

#14 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:56 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rotflmmfao.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#15 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:06 pm

QUOTE(vindice @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, that's OK - I look like a gay Si King anyway.

Don't worry, Si King looks like a gay Si King! Every double act needs a straight man, this one has a bent man. Dave Myers, a talented cook and a naturally funny man, why does he need King?

#16 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,511 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:11 pm

QUOTE(vindice @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now all I have to do is find one to do a quick visual measurement of - and make sure that my stumpy little legs can reach the floor - and I'm set.

My legs is short, if not stumpy. I lowered the suspension and you'll find a thread within on how to do that simple job .
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#17 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,511 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:41 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sun 19th Dec 2010, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exhaust is 60cm outside edge to edge but mine are lasers and i think the OEM may be a tad wider

The standard cans are about 65cm wide - that's after brushing off all the snow and banging the ice off em. (not really; its snug in a heated garage). rolleyes.gif
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#18 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:55 am

I have fitted my niner through a standard doorway (79cm at narrowest point by my tape measure) under our house with some bar waggling on a couple of occasions. I wouldn't want to be doing it on a daily basis, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

#19 vindice

vindice

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:22 pm

QUOTE(cortez @ Mon 20th Dec 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have fitted my niner through a standard doorway (79cm at narrowest point by my tape measure) under our house with some bar waggling on a couple of occasions. I wouldn't want to be doing it on a daily basis, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Thank you one and all.

Like I said, just need to find one and sling my short arse into a saddle and see if I can reach the floor.

#20 vindice

vindice

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:04 pm

QUOTE(cortez @ Mon 20th Dec 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for the thread necromancy chaps, but after saving up my pennies I was off to buy a bike next week - but it's been sold. sad.gif

Most of the other 9s I'm looking at are just out of my price range, so I was wondering if an 850 was wider or thinner than a 9?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users