20 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:54 pm

Going to be changing my chain and sprockets soon and planning on fitting DID Xring chain and Renthal sprockets. Will probably do a serivce at the same time and will be ordering an oil and airfilter too. Any suggestions on who does the best prices on these items?

Thanks

Johnny W
Two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left.

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:22 pm

I've just done C&S on my 9er, and got a kit from these guys on eBoo:
http://stores.ebay.c...sid=p4340.l2563

I got this kit

Comm's were got, delivery was pretty quick, and the sprockets look well made.

I've also used these guys on eBoo as well for the previous C&S, but their prices seem to have crept up this time round...

As for the rest of the bits - just hunt eBay - I got spark plugs for £2.67 each.
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:26 pm

Cheers for that dmmsta, how do the sprockets compare with the yamaha originals? I know that JT sprockets, for example, are thinner than the originals and not of the same quality. I was orginally thinking of getting a set of renthals but according to their site they dont make them for my model, 98 Mk2, 17/42 tooth.

Johnny W

#4 abennett

abennett

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:59 pm

I am doing alot of commuting this year on my '92 and want to try a 17 tooth mating with the stock 44 tooth. Has anyone had any experience with this combo? I would like to reduce engine speed and increase economy. My crusing speed is 70 mph @ 4000 rpm.

#5 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:03 pm

Hi Johnny, I've used AFAM sprockets on my XTZ750 and they seem good quality, others on here have recommended them too. I don't if they do one for the MkIIs, but I know they do them for the MkIs - or maybe they're the same? doubtfull.gif

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#6 nav18tor

nav18tor

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:25 pm

I am a fan of Supersprox for the rear, have used twice before on other bikes with good results

See Supersprox

Renthal for the front chainwheel, and EK chain to join it all up

See EK Chain

The Hayabusu clan like the EK chain as it seems to stretch a lot less than most

He who dies with the most toys wins

No more 2007 in white

In it's place is a big blue FJR1300

Touring Portugal? this is the perfect base

145071.png

#7 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:57 am

Can't comment on the comparison between Yam & theirs as I haven't seen them side by side.
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#8 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:16 am

Thanks for the replies, guys, I'll check out all the suggestions. I am curious tho as to why Yamaha changed the sprocket sizes from the Mk2 to Mk2A, what would be the benefit, if any, of changing from 17/42 to 16/43? doubtfull.gif

Johnny W

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:36 am

They revised the gearbox and changed some of the ratios so I'm assuming they changed sprocket sizes accordingly.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:01 pm

QUOTE(JohnnyW @ Tue 14th Aug 2012, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am curious tho as to why Yamaha changed the sprocket sizes from the Mk2 to Mk2A, what would be the benefit, if any, of changing from 17/42 to 16/43? doubtfull.gif

Johnny W

My guess -Bet this was a fudge in order to bring the mk2a electronic speedo into line with reality.

#11 Beancounter

Beancounter

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:02 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Mon 13th Aug 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Johnny, I've used AFAM sprockets on my XTZ750 and they seem good quality, others on here have recommended them too. I don't if they do one for the MkIIs, but I know they do them for the MkIs - or maybe they're the same? doubtfull.gif

I usually use Afam C&S kits on my bike (mkII). FWR in London used to do good prices - it's been a while since I bought a kit but I seem to recall £130 with free postage.

http://www.fwr.co.uk/

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:30 am

QUOTE(TYREDNGRUMPEE @ Tue 14th Aug 2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess -Bet this was a fudge in order to bring the mk2a electronic speedo into line with reality.

Speedo runs off the front wheel chief. smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:43 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Wed 15th Aug 2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speedo runs off the front wheel chief. smile.gif

Yes. Reads TFM. Typing b*llocks.

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:46 pm

stock sprox fer me every time.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:24 pm

I bet Johnny ends up buying a genuine Yamaha C&S kit with cushdy front sprocket for a stupidly low price of about £90 tongue.gif

#16 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:50 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Fri 17th Aug 2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet Johnny ends up buying a genuine Yamaha C&S kit with cushdy front sprocket for a stupidly low price of about £90 tongue.gif

rotflmmfao.gif

Only problem is, it comes with a continous chain. That leaves me with a choice of two paths, each of which involves an activity I've never tried before. I've got to decide whether to remove the swingarm or take out a link using an angle grinder(never used one before). ohmy.gif

Johnny W

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:25 pm

Take out the swing arm J and lube all ya bits up at the same time,,, you'll be good for a year then.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 Beancounter

Beancounter

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:53 am

QUOTE(dablik @ Mon 20th Aug 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take out the swing arm J and lube all ya bits up at the same time,,, you'll be good for a year then.

I'm curious, how hard is it to remove the swingarm? I've got a centrestand so I assum it shouldn't be too hard. Thinking it might be worthwhile giving my bearings some fresh grease. Suppose the suspension could do with it too....

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:18 am

QUOTE(Beancounter @ Thu 23rd Aug 2012, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious, how hard is it to remove the swingarm? I've got a centrestand so I assum it shouldn't be too hard. Thinking it might be worthwhile giving my bearings some fresh grease. Suppose the suspension could do with it too....

Here's a clue !

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=25802

Also an excellent graphical explanation as to why the lower shock mount should be regularly loobed. smile.gif

#20 Beancounter

Beancounter

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:05 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Thu 23rd Aug 2012, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a clue !

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=25802

Also an excellent graphical explanation as to why the lower shock mount should be regularly loobed. smile.gif

There was me thinking it was a case of undoing a few bolts...... blink.gif blush.gif smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users