#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:01 pm

I need to check valve clearances which i'm hoping to do soon, bike is 900 2002,, just checking the specs in the manual for the clearances and this is what i'm reading,, think it's what i'm after ??

The manual states " Valve clearance (cold) ".......Intake = 0.15~0.20 and Exhaust= 0.23~0,28,, can anyone confirm please,, TIA

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:52 pm

Yup, them's the right clearances bod. good.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:53 am

Okay cheers Ian,, thats a good starting point,, was hoping to have a go today,, but feeler blades not arrived yet.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:43 pm

Oh bloody hell,,,what have i started huh.gif c**nt of a job,,,and me temporary tarp shelter is at risk of getting blown to kingdom come,, oh well looks like just need to get plug caps out and take the rocker cover off now,,,, the radiator hose what goes through the rocker cover aint budging,,,guess it will lift off with the cover,,, should the rocker cover just prise off then,,,,oh well heres hoping,,, onwards,, determined to do this..

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:02 pm

munching_out.gif Goo wan lad !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:50 pm

Me makeshift garage,, the wind is playing havoc with it, so not funny dry.gif

Intake = 0.15~0.20 and Exhaust= 0.23~0,28 per the manual,,,,, heres mine help.gif

Oh the one i have put a cross on,, when measured the 2nd time was 0.11 summit wrong there....

So the exhaust on cylinder 2 are only just in spec,, exhaust on cylinder one look dandy,,,but fook me thas a lot of shims to change on the Inlet side,,,

Edited by dablik, 10 September 2012 - 07:08 pm.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:01 pm

Soooooo, you gonna change 5 inlet and 2 exhaust shims then Cliff ?

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:18 pm

Guess so matey,, maybe 1 day i'll be able to do this job in a couple of hours laugh.gif watch this space will post shim sizes up soon,,,,,,,,,,ish !!

Okay measured the clearances again today and heres a piccie with shim sizes,,, ermmm need to try work out what to replace with now,,, help.gif
Guess i should of left the two exhaust on cyl 1 in there..

This looks like the replacement sizes i need,,, replacements are on top and underlined..

I can re-use a 185,, but need a 180,, 3 x 185 and 195...... well i think,,, would someone be kind enough to check please,,, never done these before and would'nt like to screw up now laugh.gif

BTW... JBX's site is up and running,,,, i checked these sizes in the Manual and then on JBX'x guide..

I have 1x 185 and 1x 195,, i also have a 184, can i use this instead of a 185 for the inlet valve which measure 0.13 maybe !!!! which would leave me needing 1 x 185, 1x 195..
Dappers wub.gif wub.gif

Edited by dablik, 11 September 2012 - 04:15 pm.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:13 pm

Only just noticed you've updated yer post Cliff. rolleyes.gif

Reet !

You can re-use the 192 instead of the 195 on no.2 middle inlet.

Yes, you can use the 184.

I think you'll still need a 180 and a 185.

You cudda helped by listing all of the spare shim sizes you borrowed of Charlie.

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:49 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Mon 10th Sep 2012, 21:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
which would leave me needing 1 x 185, 1x 195..

I have 185 and 194. The nice thing bout the stock of orig shims is that they go up in increments of one....so if you lettuce snow exact sizes oi moight ave em.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:25 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 11th Sep 2012, 19:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 185 and 194. The nice thing bout the stock of orig shims is that they go up in increments of one....so if you lettuce snow exact sizes oi moight ave em.

Okay dappers,,just back from borrowing a small torque wrench ready for the job,,, will go check thanks

#12 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:30 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 11th Sep 2012, 19:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only just noticed you've updated yer post Cliff. rolleyes.gif

Reet !

You can re-use the 192 instead of the 195 on no.2 middle inlet.

Yes, you can use the 184.

I think you'll still need a 180 and a 185.

You cudda helped by listing all of the spare shim sizes you borrowed of Charlie.

Sorry chap,,, here goes...195,190,191,188,185,184,175,175

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:52 pm

Okay Ian got 2x 185,,,, can we fit in a 184 or 176 in place of 180 by shifting about anywhere ya think !!!! Thank you

Edited by dablik, 11 September 2012 - 09:06 pm.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:27 pm

No can do matey, you'll need to buy a 180 bod.

Still, on the plus side, you've saved having to buy 8 new shims. smile.gif Yammy wans are about £7-£8 each.

There used to be a shim seller on ebay, sold 9.48mm Hotcams shims fer around £4.

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:34 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 11th Sep 2012, 22:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No can do matey, you'll need to buy a 180 bod.

Still, on the plus side, you've saved having to buy 8 new shims. smile.gif Yammy wans are about £7-£8 each.

There used to be a shim seller on ebay, sold 9.48mm Hotcams shims fer around £4.

Okay cheers m8,,, one last thing,, is it worth changing Ex cyl 1,, valve clearance of 25 with a 184,,,,,,(be a tad more even with the rest of Ex valves ) this means getting a 185 and a 184 and buying a 180 of eboo..

Edited by dablik, 11 September 2012 - 09:54 pm.

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:57 pm

Sorry,,, fook this goes on dont it........Ian i'll let ya twat me proper next time i see ya smile.gif)

Inlet cyl 1 middle with valve clearance of 16 has shim 195 (in spec) can change with 191 to bring it up to 20 clearance,,,more on pa with the rest!!!!!

Edited by dablik, 11 September 2012 - 09:59 pm.

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:58 pm

No, I wouldn't bother mate. .25 clearance is 'bout spot on really.

EDIT: Go to bed ! lol

Inlet cyl 1 middle with valve clearance of 16 has shim 195 (in spec) can change with 191 to bring it up to 19 clearance,,,more on pa with the rest!!!!!

Yes.

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:45 am

Does this change what shims you want or not dabbers...... 2 x 185 and 1 x 184 at the mo?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:51 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Wed 12th Sep 2012, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this change what shims you want or not dabbers...... 2 x 185 and 1 x 184 at the mo?

Dappers i'm going to double check all this in a minute to be sure,, thanks for getting back..

pm sent..

Edited by dablik, 12 September 2012 - 10:15 am.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:16 am

9.48 shims on ebay,,, seems everybody only sells in 0.5 increments,, why is that !!!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bb55bc16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users