46 replies to this topic

#1 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:53 am

My 92 is an oil user. In anticipation of top end overhaul, I have a set of OEM 2nd oversize pistons, rings, wrist pins, gaskets, etc. that I've been storing for over a year.

With winter here, I had my shop run a compression test:

Around 50 PSI in each cylinder. "Alarming" was their comment.

The head and cylinder is now off the bike.

The cylinder has been sent to machine shop for boring and restoration of the cylinder coating.

Upon inspection of the valves, the amount of carbon built up on the exhaust valves convinced me to replace all the valves and valve springs.

The pistons show clear evidence of quite a bit of blow by. The oil rings are quite worn. Between the condition of the pistons/rings and the condition of the valves, not to mention the low compression readings, it was due time to tear down the engine.

This is the last major area of the bike to be addressed. Carbs have been rebuilt/rejetted. Exhaust is now a 2 into 1 muffled by an OEM Kawasaki ZX14 muffler. The steering head bearings have been replaced and Race Tech fork springs installed. The swing arm bearings have been replaced and the factory shock has been replaced with a custom-built unit from a great suspension shop out of North Carolina. The seat has been recovered with a custom cover with a gel pad installed. Bars are Renthal aluminum Street Fighters. Head and tail lights are LED. 

Excited to experience the feeling of a new top end...

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:29 am

There is no cylinder coating!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:14 am

There isn't too.....but if you can get one it might be well worth it. Plenty to choose from nowadays too

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:50 am

what's the mileage on the bike? just curious because i've got a '92 as well

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:14 am

There isn't too.....but if you can get one it might be well worth it. Plenty to choose from nowadays too

From my limited experience in looking into this, coatings are generally only used on aluminium sleeves, well, at least the nickasil coatings are.  Mk1 has iron sleeves.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:58 am

From my limited experience in looking into this, coatings are generally only used on aluminium sleeves, well, at least the nickasil coatings are.  Mk1 has iron sleeves.

Yes it's true. There's some ceramic wizardry on offer these days for various liners. Apticote is one which can be applied to steel/iron liners.

I'm wondering about the 900 and it's 'ceramic coating' on the bores (as advertised elsewhere...) , steel liners with a coating....or were they just nitrided before they were fitted ?

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:23 am

What's the mileage at TD !

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:53 pm

well there should be dammit

what's the mileage on the bike? just curious because i've got a '92 as well

around 65,000

I think they do Nickasil? Maybe they add it if not there already. Iron, not sure. This machine shop came highly-recommended and has a history of lots of great work. 

Now I'm curious...

Edited by TDrummer, 17 December 2018 - 04:54 pm.

#9 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:16 pm

Thanks. It would be interesting to hear the result after the work has been done.

#10 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:13 pm

Thanks. It would be interesting to hear the result after the work has been done.

I'm excited. Can't wait to share what I find out.

#11 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:53 pm

I know everyone's on edge of seats waiting for more news about this!

OK, had to send the head out to have new valve seats cut.

I chose not to install new valves and springs on the old, somewhat worn seats.

Observed by the technician: these five valve heads have really nice ports, no need for any work.

Bored cylinder (nikasil-free) and new pistons have been installed.

The bike will be ready to ride before I am.

Still healing/recovering from slamming myself into the tar while on my other bike (KLR650), last September. (I'm happy to share the morbid details if any interest.)

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:47 pm

I slammed into the tar onmy ktm620 in September after hitting a parked deer. Broken right collar bone

What happened to you ?

#13 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:37 am

I slammed into the tar onmy ktm620 in September after hitting a parked deer. Broken right collar bone

What happened to you ?

I feel your pain!

Broke right shoulder in two places

Eight cracked ribs

Punctured lung

Traumatic brain injury with bleeding

Almost two months hospital

Two lane highway, one lane repaved, lane I was originally in, original pavement

The repaving crew was half-finished

About a 4 inch lip to go up going into the repaved lane - tallest one I ever remember seeing

My ego: "yeah you can make that - no problem"

The road: "idiot!"

It's recommended I wait one year to be clear of risk if I hit my skull again

Best I can do is visit the TDM at the shop doing to work 

Today the cylinder went back on

Head is shipped off to machine shop

Hope your healing and riding

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:45 am

I feel your pain!

Broke right shoulder in two places

Eight cracked ribs

Punctured lung

Traumatic brain injury with bleeding

Almost two months hospital

Two lane highway, one lane repaved, lane I was originally in, original pavement

The repaving crew was half-finished

About a 4 inch lip to go up going into the repaved lane - tallest one I ever remember seeing

My ego: "yeah you can make that - no problem"

The road: "idiot!"

It's recommended I wait one year to be clear of risk if I hit my skull again

Best I can do is visit the TDM at the shop doing to work 

Today the cylinder went back on

Head is shipped off to machine shop

Hope your healing and riding

I was riding 10 minutes after, but then not for another 6 weeks !

I was riding a KTM620 Duke I had bought 10 days before and I hadn't been out in the dark with it previously so i didn't notice the headlight aim was very low, the beam was concentrated  at a point about 15 feet in front of the front wheel

I had fitted some heated grips  and thought i would take her out for 10 minutes to make sure they work well. It was just dropping dark but it goes dark very quickly here. I was only doing about 35mph and with the darkness became aware that even on high beam the headlight was useless, and got as far as thinking 'I'll have a look at that tomorrow' , and as I went over the top of a gentle swell in the road 3 deer appeared in the headlight as it's aim was temporarily raised, they were nose to tail across the width of the road, probably startled by the noise of the bike because they weren't moving and were less than 10 feet away.

I knew I banged my head on the way down because when i tried to get up to my knees i kept falling down so after waiting a few minutes, knowing I was in a mobile phone blackspot and the next car along wouldn't be for a while, eventually got to the bike and tried to pick it up. I already knew my shoulder had gone and my ribs were hurt but struggled and hoped the bike would start, which it did first time. I had to lift my right hand onto the throttle with my left hand, and was only 3 miles from home.

When i got home I  said "A&E" to my wife in between taking tiny breaths of air, and it took me a couple of minutes to get into her car due to the pain of bending)....and it was then that I realised the front pockets had been ripped off my trousers as I slid forwards on the ground and therefore I had lost my wallet. Being a Yorkshireman i insisted we go back to the crash site on the way to hospital, and my wife spotted my broken wallet and line of cards and drivers licence spread down a 20 foot strp of the road.

Once I got to hospital and was checked in we sat down in reception and that's when i assume the adrenalin wore off, because I just turned to her as the pain level suddenly shot up and said "I think I'm going to....."   and then woke up in a cubicle some time later.

Only a broken collar bone and stripped the muscles out from between a few ribs, thankfully the head injury was minor, grateful for a fibreglass helmet and not a cheap polycarbonate one

Bike was less than £80 to repair,

#15 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:25 am

I was riding 10 minutes after, but then not for another 6 weeks !

I was riding a KTM620 Duke I had bought 10 days before and I hadn't been out in the dark with it previously so i didn't notice the headlight aim was very low, the beam was concentrated  at a point about 15 feet in front of the front wheel

I had fitted some heated grips  and thought i would take her out for 10 minutes to make sure they work well. It was just dropping dark but it goes dark very quickly here. I was only doing about 35mph and with the darkness became aware that even on high beam the headlight was useless, and got as far as thinking 'I'll have a look at that tomorrow' , and as I went over the top of a gentle swell in the road 3 deer appeared in the headlight as it's aim was temporarily raised, they were nose to tail across the width of the road, probably startled by the noise of the bike because they weren't moving and were less than 10 feet away.

I knew I banged my head on the way down because when i tried to get up to my knees i kept falling down so after waiting a few minutes, knowing I was in a mobile phone blackspot and the next car along wouldn't be for a while, eventually got to the bike and tried to pick it up. I already knew my shoulder had gone and my ribs were hurt but struggled and hoped the bike would start, which it did first time. I had to lift my right hand onto the throttle with my left hand, and was only 3 miles from home.

When i got home I  said "A&E" to my wife in between taking tiny breaths of air, and it took me a couple of minutes to get into her car due to the pain of bending)....and it was then that I realised the front pockets had been ripped off my trousers as I slid forwards on the ground and therefore I had lost my wallet. Being a Yorkshireman i insisted we go back to the crash site on the way to hospital, and my wife spotted my broken wallet and line of cards and drivers licence spread down a 20 foot strp of the road.

Once I got to hospital and was checked in we sat down in reception and that's when i assume the adrenalin wore off, because I just turned to her as the pain level suddenly shot up and said "I think I'm going to....."   and then woke up in a cubicle some time later.

Only a broken collar bone and stripped the muscles out from between a few ribs, thankfully the head injury was minor, grateful for a fibreglass helmet and not a cheap polycarbonate one

Shit !  That could have been very serious.  Someone could have come along and lifted the contents of you wallet.  Glad you managed to recover them.... a man after my own heart !

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:02 pm

Shit !  That could have been very serious.  Someone could have come along and lifted the contents of you wallet.  Glad you managed to recover them.... a man after my own heart !

Indeed i couldn't joke about the whole thing now if my wallet had of gone too... It's not just the financial loss, all i could see in front of me was days of telephone calls and application forms to reinstate the lost cards and driver's licence... no thanks !

#17 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:33 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sacrifices body to minimize damage to bike.

I had a scuffed up saddlebag but that appears to be the only thing wrong.

Coincidentally, as I had been spending the bulk of my riding on the TDM (who wouldn't???), I had only taken the KLR out to give it a little exercise.

If I had been on the TDM, I think I could have negotiated the road without major mishap.

The KLR, not so much.

I have zero memory of that ride, the crash, or the next week and a half.

All I know is I found myself in the rehab hospital being told I couldn't go home.

"But I am going home!!!!"

"No, jackass, you can't walk!! You have to relearn before you even think about getting released!" 

Doctor advises one full year before I ride again. (brain re-injury risk).

At least my classic 92 850 will be almost 100% as good as new or better when I'm ready.

I can't wait.

I love this bike.

West Lothiam? Scotland?

My cousin live in Bristol UK.

My father born and raised in Liverpool.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:45 pm

Liverpool is good but the best bit has to be the canal which reaches to Leeds where I'm originally from :)

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:44 am

Liverpool is good but the best bit has to be the canal which reaches to Leeds where I'm originally from :)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:06 am

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Well, it wouldn't be right to talk about it's incredible architecture, rich history,  it's importance as a port, or the football team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users